2011-2012 Bowling Season

QUOTE (KG#1 @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
Well, we are now 5 weeks into the season and I have had back-to-back 600+ series. Got my average up to a 188. Anyone else into their bowling season and doing anything good?

Finally got my new ball drilled last week. 232, 228 and 158 for my first night. Last game, between the 10 bowlers on the lanes, there were 12 shots that appeared to be pocket shots that left the 7-10. I got 3 of those. Got a 181 average on my Tuesday league, and 176 on Saturday league.

I put up like a 700 in my first 4 game set of the year. Didn't have a good strike ball but was picking up my spares really well, which is usually the opposite of how I start the year out.

Of course, on the same oil pattern, there were 2 300s and one of those guys put up an 800+ series for 3.

Damn, 2 weeks ago, had a 185 bowler on the other team bowl a 700 series against us. We lost every game by his pins over average. Last week had the other team have a 250+ game from a different bowler in each game, us losing each game by about 25 pins or so. Then this week, a 170 bowler bowled a 250, 279 and 199 against us. Somehow we managed to win the last game. I guess we bring out the best in our opponents.

Had my worst set in years and years this past Tuesday. I shot a 538...for 4. It was just a really weird shot, didn't have the equipment to handle it, and couldn't pick up a spare to save my life. Seriously, it was like anything on 6 board or in slid all the way and took out the corner, and if you hit 7 or 8, it was coming up high. I couldn't find a consistent shot either, as the right lane seemed a bit dryer at the beginning of the night than the left, and that flipflopped by the end of the night. Nobody else seemed to have trouble with it so it's all on me.

I actually really don't enjoy bowling in that Tuesday league simply because they tend to run out the difficult shot and it's the best bowlers in the area, so I get a little overwhelmed. I just want a shot where I can throw it and the ball does all the work. I'm pretty much a casual bowler at this point.

My team was in a solid 2nd place after the first month, winning every series, even sweeping a few. We play 2 pts per game, and 3 for series.

Then we had 3 horrible weeks in a row, and dropped down to 10th. We finally bowled better last night, and took 7 points. Which is kinda funny, we shot better even though we were down one guy.

My average is at 183 going into last night. Shot a 189, 169 and 191....so i hit my average dead on. My goal to a 190 average will have to wait another week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My daughter rollled a 130 game on Saturday. That's 59 pins over her average. The league gives out a free small pop for 25 pins over and free nachos for 50 pins over. She's gotten the free pop a couple of times but this is her first time getting the nachos. She had a 120 in the 10th frame and only needed a single pin to get to 50 over. She ended up picking the 7 pin off clean on her first shot. Then she covered it with a spare. I think I was more nervous than she was.

She is 10 and has been bowling for 3 years. She actually started with bumpers when she was 6 but we had to take a year off when I was unemployed.

A few weeks back I started noticing her ball literally bouncing off the pins, so I took it into the pro shop and found out it was only 7 lbs. I had always though that it was 8 lbs. So I gave her a 10 lb house ball to see if she could handle the extra weight and it seems to have made all the difference in the world.

There's only a few weeks left this year and she'll probably grow a little over the summer so I'm going to let her finish the season with the house ball instead of getting a ball drilled now, then having to get it plugged and re-drilled next season.

I've been tuning the bowling up for a while now, really starting to find a rhythm. Given, that's on a house shot as opposed to a sport shot, but I'm throwing the ball the best I have since I was in high school. I think in my last 6 (on a burnt house shot) my average is right around 190-200. I'm actually pretty excited to see how I bowl tomorrow night because it will be the first time I've bowled on the sport shot since I have started rolling well about 2 weeks ago.

This is all important because next week I'm going to nationals in Baton Rouge. Barring anything semi-miraculous, I will be carrying a 150ish average on that Tuesday sport shot into Nationals. There will be a sport shot there, but even if I average around 170-180, I'm going to be taking home a bit of money.

I kind of forgot about this thread, and I started it!

After starting the season smoking hot (for me), I topped at a 192 average in the middle of the season. Then, after struggling to break a 530 series for quite a few weeks in a row, I think I figured something out last week. Shot 596. This week I'm hoping to do well again and see if I can make the last 5 weeks worth it . . . My average is down around a 184 now.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
My daughter rollled a 130 game on Saturday. That's 59 pins over her average. The league gives out a free small pop for 25 pins over and free nachos for 50 pins over. She's gotten the free pop a couple of times but this is her first time getting the nachos. She had a 120 in the 10th frame and only needed a single pin to get to 50 over. She ended up picking the 7 pin off clean on her first shot. Then she covered it with a spare. I think I was more nervous than she was.

She is 10 and has been bowling for 3 years. She actually started with bumpers when she was 6 but we had to take a year off when I was unemployed.

A few weeks back I started noticing her ball literally bouncing off the pins, so I took it into the pro shop and found out it was only 7 lbs. I had always though that it was 8 lbs. So I gave her a 10 lb house ball to see if she could handle the extra weight and it seems to have made all the difference in the world.

There's only a few weeks left this year and she'll probably grow a little over the summer so I'm going to let her finish the season with the house ball instead of getting a ball drilled now, then having to get it plugged and re-drilled next season.

That is pretty sweet. I can't wait to have kids and hopefully get them bowling. I'm really kicking myself now for not listening to my dad and bowling a lot earlier than this . . .

Jesus is that shot at Nationals ridiculous. I saw bowlers much, much better than I am shoot in the 140s and 150s.

Of the 9 games I bowled, 3 were decent - a 226, a 196, and a 177. The other 6 were anywhere between like 123-164. The 10 pin just would not fall, and I could not pick it up. And then when the 10 pin did fall, I'd leave a 7 and then go on to miss that as well.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
I signed up for an adult/youth tournament with my daughter. It'll be the first time I've bowled in a few years.

Well, we bowled for the tourney yesterday and I was pretty horrible. My daughter did well though. She has a 73 average and her games were 83, 76 and 108.

I, on the other hand, rolled a 161, 141 and 224.

The first two games I was all over the place. I had a big hook working but just couldn't seem to consistently hit the pocket. I kept going through the middle and leaving some awful splits.

The third game my arm was tired and I couldn't get any lift, so I just starting going down the middle of the lane with very minimal hook and it seemed to work. I actually finished the game with 6 strikes in a row. Today my right arm and left leg are sore because I used muscles that I hadn't used in years. I really need to get back to bowling regularly. The last league I bowled on was in 2008.

Anyway we had fun. We'll find out in a few days if we did well enough to advance to the next round.

So, on Tuesday I bowled my highest series in the last 4 years and probably my most consistent. I had a 210, 214 and 218. So a solid 642. Definitely had it rolling this week!

Now two more weeks left in my season, and I need to hit 600 two more times in order to finish the year with a 188 average. Otherwise, I should be a 187 to finish. Not bad, 7 pin improvement over last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, last night was my last week of this years bowling season. I had a 691, highest series ever. 193-254-244. That last game, I started with a split, struck 8 in a row, then a split in the 10th. So that kind of sucks, cause it could've been a 700.

I end the year at a 188.7 average, 8.5 pins better than last year.