There is no such thing as a lucky hit.....

Bmr31

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule 7.08(e) applies: "Any runner is out when he fails to reach the next base before a fielder tags him or the base." This is a judgement call, pure and simple. It is not debatable, appealable or protestable. Either the runner reached the base before the tag or s/he did not. If, in the umpire's judgement, the runner reached before the tag, then s/he is safe. If, in the umpire's judgement, the runner failed to reach before the tag, then s/he is out. There is nothing more to it than that. I repeat, there is no "Tie" call, only "Safe" or "Out". And that is a judgement call based on the umpire's determination as to whether or not the runner reached before the tag. So don't try to tell me that a tie goes to the runner. There is no tie, period.

Oh look at you.. pullin out the rule book..

Where's that crying whiney smiley when ya need him... :P

I know the rule.. and I know it "does not happen" :rolleyes:

But just cause they don't call the tie doesn't mean there isn't one. :finger

Oh look at you.. pullin out the rule book..

Where's that crying whiney smiley when ya need him...  :P

I know the rule.. and I know it "does not happen":rolleyes:  But just cause they don't call the tie doesn't mean there isn't one.  :finger

Steff i'm an ump, of course i pull out the rule book

And there is no such thing as a tie goes to the runner. The ball beats you there or it doesn't. The runner beats the ball to the bag in your so called tie fantasy world

I either say out or safe not "well coaches, yes it was a tie, so to promote offense we will award the base to the runner"

Any other myths you guys want me to disprove? :bringit

steff, go find where it says "tie goes to the runner" in a rulebook please

this isn't even an argument

Hot damn.. you said please!!! I know you wanted to say something else... like "b****... stfu" :lol:

yes i said please....

and i'm waiting

i don't need to swear to prove my point, but i have to get rid of this ridiculous myth

No, judgement of the meaning of the phrase "Tie goes to the runner".

no, judgment of "tie goes to the runner" is a term amatuer fans made up to describe a play at first base

if it's not in the rule book, it doesn't apply. there's no interpretation or judgment necessary

Hot damn.. you said please!!! I know you wanted to say something else... like "b****... stfu" :lol:

yes i said please....

and i'm waiting

i don't need to swear to prove my point, but i have to get rid of this ridiculous myth

I say it's so.

:P

no, judgment of "tie goes to the runner" is a term amatuer fans made up to describe a play at first base

if it's not in the rule book, it doesn't apply. there's no interpretation or judgment necessary

So then you are saying since it is not in the rule book it is physically impossible for a ball to reach the fielders mitt as the runner is stepping on the base?

So then you are saying since it is not in the rule book it is physically impossible for a ball to reach the fielders mitt as the runner is stepping on the base?

:rolleyes:

yes i said please....

and i'm waiting

I say it's so.

i guess steffs word overrides the rule book

no i did not say that, never have

but if that's the case, the runner beat the ball to the bag (or the ball failed to beat the runner)

the rule isn't "tie goes to the runner", period

There isn't

The ball has to beat the guy to the bag, there's no such thing as tie goes to the runner

It seems you're the one who injected the "tie goes to the runner" into this when what you quoted was a tie at first base.

Btw, "Tie goes to the runner" IS a judgement by the umpire and thus is covered by the rule book.

yes i said please....

and i'm waiting

I say it's so.

i guess steffs word overrides the rule book

Baaa haaa haaaa!!! :headbang

There isn't

The ball has to beat the guy to the bag, there's no such thing as tie goes to the runner

It seems you're the one who injected the "tie goes to the runner" into this when what you quoted was a tie at first base.

Btw, "Tie goes to the runner" IS a judgement by the umpire and thus is covered by the rule book.

tie goes to the runner is not a judgment made by the umpire, where in the hell do you come up with this stuff? what you just said would compose a rule, not a judgment

Ok.. I'm going to elaborate..

Man and ball get to first at exactly the same time. That's a tie..? Right? No, it's not in the rule book, but it's a tie. What do ya do..? 9 out of 10 umps would tell ya that they would call it to the runner UNLESS it's definitely an out - meaning the ball got there first in which case none of this matters.

That's all I meant kochy... relax ;)

There isn't

tie goes to the runner is not a judgment made by the umpire

Then who would make it????????????