Phil Rodgers Hints at 2nd PTBNL

rt59_bnsf

OK, just got finished reading Phil's chat on BA. He said he has reason to believe that the second prospect coming back to the Sox (along with Cotts) is also a high draft pick but this time a position player. So, like any good bored Sox fan would do to pass the time before he has to leave for the bar to watch the Bearsh...I made a list of all the A's 1st/2nd round draft pick position players over the last three years (this would not include high draft picks brought to the A's by trade - and this has not been checked to verify that these players haven't already been traded out of the A's system). Anyway - here they are:

2000 (only one):

Freddie Bynum - SS/CF (on 40 man roster)

2001 (only one 1st/2nd - 2 3rds):

Bobby Crosby SS Long Beach State

JT Stotts SS Cal St (already ruled out by P.R)

Marcus McBeth OF South Carolina

2002 (4 1st rounders and 1 2nd):

1) Nick Swisher - 1B/OF - Ohio St

John McCurdy - SS - U of Maryland

Jeremy Brown - C - U. of Alabama

Mark Teahan - 3B - St Mary's

2) Steve Stanley - OF - U of ND

Well...there it is folks. If Phil is to be believed, and 'high pick' means 1st/2nd rounder (my interpretation)... there's a good chance one of these guys will be coming our way.

I'm going for

Bynum or McCurdy.

Bynum because he's a CF/SS, two positions we are weak at, and McCurdy cause he's a shortstop.

those other guys serve us no purpose. possibly that catcher, but the A's are low on catchers. Before getting Johnson, they only had two set catchers between their AAA and big league team. when that is the case, you aren't gonna dump any.

on a side note, if it is a strong first rounder at SS or CF, NOBODY shoudl hate this deal, because then got a closer for three years, a solid lefty, and a CF and/or SS.

I would then like the whole deal.

Just checked the 40 man roster - Bynum's on it - can't be him, or we'd know already

Also I read that it can't be a player drafted within a year of the trade which rules out all the 2002 names, leaving:

Crosby

McBeth

John Ford-Griffin (from the Yankees)

Daylon Holt (name picked up from an A's fan)

Here's hoping for Crosby or Ford-Griffin!!!!

I think its Crosby and if we get him, I'm going to be real happy cause he's a good prospect, who has a pretty high ceiling. I remember watching him play for Long Beach State and he was real good.

Yes, we have a lot of infield prospects, but to me, you can never have too many. Plus, its good to have a backup in case some of them fail. And we all know I have my grand plan of dumping Manos :)

By the way welcome to the board RT59.

Chisoxfn - thanks for the welcome.

I think if Crosby would be a great addition. A's fans I've heard from say he's a stud. Maybe Kenny did a little better than I thought he did when he made this trade. The A's have a pretty deep system, so it would be pretty killer to get two guys from their 'Top Ten'.