Jeremy Reed is ...

winninguglyin83

You are all wrong. Frank holds all the cards.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/thestate/spor...all/4685046.htm

After 2003, Thomas can exercise a $6 million option to play for the Sox in 2004. If he declines, the Sox can exercise an $8 million option and Thomas stays. But Thomas can also buy out the option (2MIL) and become a free agent, giving him veto power for one year only.

After 2004, Thomas can exercise an option that pays him $8 million. If he declines, the Sox can pick it up at $11 million and Thomas must stay.

After 2005, Thomas can exercise an option paying him $10 million, and if he declines, the Sox can pick it up at $12 million or else opt for a $3.5 million buyout. That gives the Sox veto power for the final year, at which point Thomas will be nearly 38 years old.

The contract also includes bonuses of up to $2 million for finishing in the top 10 in Most Valuable Player voting. There is also a clause calling for Thomas to revoke his no-trade rights as a 10-and-5 player (10 years in the majors, five years with the same team) if the Sox deal him to one of a handful of teams for which he's willing to play. There is no deferred money and no diminished-skills clause, and the Sox are loaning Thomas $1 million.

So as you can see Thomas can stay pretty much as long as he wants.

STOP the assenine talk of C LEE being gone!

1) KW had no problem signing him to a 6mil deal for the past 2 yrs.

C LEE has never shown to be greedy.� KW should be able to sign him to 15mil/3 yr.

2) He leads the team in RBI : 84 better than 10% more than Maggs.

3) He's 2nd on the team in R : 73.� 3 shy of Maggs.

4) He's 2nd on the team in TB: 22 shy of Maggs.

5th) He's ranked 38th in RPG (Sagarin) in the AL.� Maggs is ranked 9th.� I mention this because C LEE still has what I call sleeper stats at non marquee prices.� This gives KW leverage to keep Lee's price down but still hold on to the promise that Lee has.

Now I don't know what price Everett will command.� FA can expect to be worse than last yr because of depressed revenue.�  There will be far fewer players in the $$$ game this off-season.� 

But I will put it this way:

Lee at 15/3 is a keeper.

Everett at 15/3 is a keeper.

Maggs at 15/1 is tradeable.� Either you re-negotiate the contract or you trade him.

Konerko at 24/3 is tradeable.�  Either you re-negotiate the contract or you trade him.

KW had no problem signing Lee to an extention? Well he didnt have a problem signing Fould to a deal either only to trade him the very next year. And Everet and Lee are keepers, but Maggs is tradeable??????????? Better watch how you use the word "assenine"

Paying Maggs 15MIL on a team with a 55MIL payroll is assenine.

Since the SOX showed no willingness to pay $$$ for Alomar or Everett this year, I think it's clear that the team will once again open 2004 with a 60MIL cap.

Allocating 25+% of that cap to Maggs is assenine.

Are these the stats of a 15MIL player?

Apr : 849 OPS

May : 855 OPS

Jun : 899 OPS

Jul : 1245 OPS

Aug : 839 OPS

Not in my book. Here's Manny Ramirez' #'s:

Apr : 981 OPS

May : 925 OPS

Jun : 1139 OPS

Jul : 1113 OPS

Aug : 891 OPS

Please stop throwing around stats like you know what you're talking about. Anyways, it's asinine, not assenine or whatever.

Magg's cumulative stats:

.320-22-75

OBP .386

SLG .561

OPS .947

Plays a solid right field, only average speed which makes him a 4 tool hitter. Advances runner from 2nd, no outs to 3rd a goo percentage of the time.

Zone rating is 91%, range factor is 2.36

--

Now, let's look at Manny:

.318-29-85

OBP .418

SLG .576

OPS .994

Fairly similar numbers, but Ramirez is just plain AWFUL in left. No speed whatsoever.

Zone rating is a retchid 78%, RF is 1.79.

Ramirez is paid 20 million dollars a year to hit in a loaded lineup, and Maggs will be paid 14 million to play a solid all-around game.

Ordonez is the better player, hands down.

Any one who knows the game of baseball knows that cumulative stats don't equal wins. The SOX are experts in that game. Koney has been nothing more than a streak hitter most of his career. Yet he has 2 all-star months a yr that make his cum stats look decent.

A 15 MIL/yr player is one who can maintain a 1000+ OPS 4/6 months.

Period. Maggs has not done that once in his career.

Sure his cum stats are impressive because like Koney he has 2 MONSTER months a year.

Let me put it this way. The goal for the WHITE SOX every year should be to win 90+ wins. That's what it takes to contend in the AL. Unless Maggs production is worth 23 wins a yr, the team can't afford him to eat up 25% of the payroll.

Another thing you're not looking at it, is the value you can get in return for Maggs.

No one disputes that Maggs is the best player on the SOX & may be one of the best RF's in the game. But the economic reality is that the SOX have never shown a willingness to sign or keep such players.

Konerko just isnt for real. He never was. You cant get rid of Reed, Everett or Lee, the first is a killer prospect and the last two have valuable bats. So bring Reed up for September and let him see some time, hes much farther along than Borchard. This offseason, trade Konerko for an decent fifth starter or a pitching prospect, preferably the former. And resign Everett. Then put Carl at DH (maybe sometimes Lee) and put Reed in center or left depending on who is DHing. Everett and Lee are better than Konerko, so my odd man out is PK...

Konerko just isnt for real. He never was. You cant get rid of Reed, Everett or Lee, the first is a killer prospect and the last two have valuable bats. So bring Reed up for September and let him see some time, hes much farther along than Borchard. This offseason, trade Konerko for an decent fifth starter or a pitching prospect, preferably the former. And resign Everett. Then put Carl at DH (maybe sometimes Lee) and put Reed in center or left depending on who is DHing. Everett and Lee are better than Konerko, so my odd man out is PK...

I really like Reed as a player but let's not get carried away here. Let's not forget that Borchard, the guy everyone is so down on, had a helluva year in AA at the same point that Reed is now. Reed doesn't have the holes that Borchard had, but also doesn't have the upside either.

Reed should not and will not be called up in September.

I don't see Everett staying with the club next year. It just doesn't make sense. He's a free agent and the Sox have Reed/Borchard on the horizon. They can play Rowand in CF next year, keep Lee in LF and they will be fine in the outfield.

I also agree that either Paulie or Frank must go. My guess is that Frank will bolt, unless the Sox fire JM. Then he may bolt anyway. If Frank does bolt, that team he goes to will not have to pick up his contract. He would negotiate a new contract with his new team. If neither Frank nor the Sox pick up the option next off seaswon, he'll be a free agent and his contract will be null and void at that point.

We will still need to get a good solid left handed RBI producing bat this winter, to replace either Frank or PK. I don't think Daubach will hang around, since he hasn't gotten much playing time.