8/18 games

danman31

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 10:10 AM)
Interesting to see in the Kanny box, the appearance of Rinku Singh (for the other squad). I hadn't realized any of those Indian pitchers from the reality show was still around, but he's playing A ball now, putting up semi-decent results. He can supposedly throw 92.

Haven't seen this show....what was it? And since his name is Singh...I would otherwise guess that he is a Sikh. Does he wear a turban (required for Sikh men) when he pitches?

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)
Haven't seen this show....what was it? And since his name is Singh...I would otherwise guess that he is a Sikh. Does he wear a turban (required for Sikh men) when he pitches?

Googled my own question- he wears a regular hat. He doesn't appear to be Sikh. But that would be an interesting thing.

The show is a pretty cool concept...since India has a pretty good cricket tradition, it wouldn't be a bad place to scout for good arms.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
The show is a pretty cool concept...since India has a pretty good cricket tradition, it wouldn't be a bad place to scout for good arms.

Except they'd rather play cricket so what's the point?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
Except they'd rather play cricket so what's the point?

Vastly more money to be made in baseball. The Indian national cricket team players (read: best in the world) have an average salary that equals the major league minimum. I'd imagine club or league cricket pays far less....although endorsements are likely more lucrative for cricket.

I don't know the relative pay of bowlers vs. batters in cricket and whether there is a premium on either.

Edited by danman31
formatting fix

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 19, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)

Not sure where you get the Singh thing. Singh is a pretty common surname in India, and Sikh is something like the 4th most popular religion there (behind Hindi, Muslim and Buddhist, maybe even behind Christian).