Old Sox Games on Youtube

Marty34

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 17, 2014 -> 12:50 PM)
Actually, the idea of letting Harry go doesn't keep getting worse - it already stands as the worst blunder (among many) of the Reinsdorf era. The very notion that the Sox had both Harry Caray AND WGN in '81, right at the onset of 'GN becoming the national superstation it would become, and then fluttered both away at the end of that year, frustrates me to this very day. There was no better salesman for the game than Harry, and with the power of 'GN behind him, I often wonder what the state of the franchise would be today if he had remained a Sox broadcaster on the superstation. I also wonder where the Cubs would be today without having the benefit of Harry selling Wrigley Field all of those years, instead being led by the more bland broadcasting stylings of one Milo Hamilton. We'll never know, but I do wonder.

The '83 team with Harry competing against Milo and the Cubs would have cemented the Sox as the team even after the '84 season for the Cubs. The only thing I wonder is how much did Harry orchestrate the move to the Cubs. Tribune offering WGN, Budweiser money, etc ....