Playoff rosters

forkit

My understanding of the playoff roster procedure is as follows--and this is a different procedure than most fans think, unless Basball Prospectus was incorrect:

Because of the way the Angels exploited the DL wording last year, it's come to light that the rules that most fans think apply to the 25 man playoff roster are not actually correct.

On September 1 [september 2 this year because of the US holiday], all teams must submit a 25 man playoff roster to MLB. This roster does not have to match their current 25 man roster--which was always assumed to be the case--but must be in by the deadline. The list CAN include players on the DL. As the Angels did last year, a team can then "change out" a player from their organiztion for the player on the DL once the playoffs start. This player does not have to be on the 25 or even 40 man roster. If a team has a man on the 25 man playoff roster that is on the DL, they can name any player within their organization to fill the spot.

The only question is this: Does the player have to be the property of the team on or before September 1 [sep 2 in this case]?

Generally, playoff rosters were set on September 1 because teams wanted their best players on the stretch drive. But as the Angels showed last year there is more flexibility available if the GM is creative...

Forkit!

Interesting. So I assume Billy Koch will be on the playoff roster but someone up currently will not. I doubt if we'll do any more tinkering than that.

The real question is whether to go with 10 pitchers or 11. If we do the former, Koch would likely sub for Danny Wright. If the latter, both would make it.

If we added a 15th position player, who would that be? Aaron Miles? Joe Borchard? Jamie Burke? Reed?

The only question is this: Does the player have to be the property of the team on or before September 1 [sep 2 in this case]?

The player must be property of the organization prior to midnight ET on August 31. The Labor Day holiday does not matter. This is no different than in the past.

The only example I can think of off the top of my head is that the Cubs traded Bill Mueller to the Giants last season after the August 31 trading deadline and therefore was not eligible for postseason with the Giants. So few players are traded after that date that are name players that I could not think of anyone else....sorry.

Oh and the playoff rosters do indeed need to be set by midnight ET on August 31. Baseball doesn't take Labor Day off.