Winning using bigball

SpringfieldFan

In witnessing the events of Wednesday where Minnesota came back to win in the 9th, and the Sox gave one away in the 9th, the nature of the two teams is once again illustrated. The Twins win via small ball and by coming up big in close games. The Sox are poor at small ball and seem to lose the close ballgames. However, unlike the Twins, they can win with a powerful offense and long balls (i.e. "bigball").

Normally I would be pessimistic at the fact the Sox cannot win when the bats are quiet, but have just learned to accept the fact that the Sox simply approach it another way - by relying on pounding the opposition, which has landed them in this tie for first.

Now, my question - do they have a good shot at going all the way by using this method? Maybe this is the best way since the WS winner will have to be playing at their best anyway, and we have seen that the Sox at their best are incredibly strong.

What do you all think? Do we have good reason to hope?

In witnessing the events of Wednesday where Minnesota came back to win in the 9th, and the Sox gave one away in the 9th, the nature of the two teams is once again illustrated.  The Twins win via small ball and by coming up big in close games.  The Sox are poor at small ball and seem to lose the close ballgames.  However, unlike the Twins, they can win with a powerful offense and long balls (i.e. "bigball").

Normally I would be pessimistic at the fact the Sox cannot win when the bats are quiet, but have just learned to accept the fact that the Sox simply approach it another way - by relying on pounding the opposition, which has landed them in this tie for first.

Now, my question - do they have a good shot at going all the way by using this method?  Maybe this is the best way since the WS winner will have to be playing at their best anyway, and we have seen that the Sox at their best are incredibly strong.

What do you all think?  Do we have good reason to hope?

There is no way in all hell that we can win by swinging for the fences in every at bat. That is a lesson that was taught to us in 2000 against Seattle in the playoffs and is something we still haven't learned since. It's getting ready to bite us in the ass again because in the late season & into the playoffs, all those fat hanging curveballs right down broadway seem to just stop coming.