Competitive White Sox with Upside Potential

Even if the White Sox were to stop right now in their off-season activities, the team would be fun to watch in 2016. The addition of two key infielders with a good core of returning players should translate into a competitive team with at least an outside chance of winning it all. As good as some of the players are, it isn't as fun to watch even those individual players if the team is not competitive. Then, a lot of the Sox near term and long-term success will come down to whether some of the existing young players in the majors and minors or some of the soon to be drafted players live up to their upside potential.

I'm not a believer in purposely trying to be bad for multiple seasons in the hope of hitting on all the high 1st and 2nd round draft picks you get. A team can accidentally get those high draft picks like the White Sox have done for the past 3 seasons. No need to purposely extend the string of losing seasons. The bottom line is that a team has to have the ability to evaluate and develop both pitchers and hitters whether they are or are not competitive at the major league level. When you are like the White Sox who have developed pitchers but not enough good hitters, the thing to do is to develop that other side of your organization. I am glad they are doing that. In short, I hate the idea of tanking multiple seasons like the Cubs did and like some do advocate.

Of course, for this year, it will be even sweeter if the Sox acquire a big-time outfielder.