Question Regarding LaRoche

Chisoxfn

Once he retires, if he wanted to unretire, do the Sox have to allow it or can they prevent it and allow him to be a FA? The reason I ask is, theoritically, Sox could spend those resources elsewhere or even fill the position and thus LaRoche wouldn't even have a spot, he could than say he wanted to come back, get paid, and Sox would theoretically have to waive him or find a roster spot.

Apologies if this was discussed in the mega thread, but this is more regarding what real flexibility we have vs. potential blow back from that flexibility. I ask because these implications could mean the Sox end up being a bit more "conservative" with that $13M in savings (and save it until next year or at least next year when they are more certain it truly exists).

Nevermind...I read the below post from DA which summed it up perfectly.

His papers are filed. His contract is now voided. How if there is a grievance, that's anyone's guess. He can't come back for 60 regular season days, and even then it wouldn't be on his old contract unless the Sox agreed, which obviously they would not, and really neither would he.