Presidents and Heath Crisis

Texsox

I hope we can keep this non political.

I was just thinking this is maybe the third time in my lifetime that a President has had a health crisis. The first was Kennedy and that wasn't really a health crisis and despite @southsider2k5's best efforts to make me out as older than dirt, I was too young to remember JFK. Reagan being shot was the only other one I could think of until now. I thought there had been another but I was confusing an episode of The West Wing.  @Balta1701 made a great point in the Covid thread about our response. It made me think that we have that apparatus in place that is greater than whomever the president happens to be. There is this machine that keeps running with or without a President. It's oddly comforting. 

I assume we have a playbook and every department in the government follows the script. POTUS is sick, here's the plan. Scramble planes. Secret Service plans. Embassy plans. Military plans. Pence I assume has a plan to follow. I'm imagining a thousand moving parts gliding into place as I write this which will glide into another place as he recovers. It's fascinating that we will never know everything that was happening in the background. 

It all starts at the top. If Trump truly worsens, power has to be passed to Pence, and that would make things easier. Historically, administrations hide things even when the president isn't doing well and that jeopardizes national security. Right now, we really don't know how bad things are, and this is maddening. Pence and the cabinet must be willing to act if things really get out of hand.

Unless someone enacts the 25th amendment, it is up to the President to do what is best for the country in this situation.  Seeing as he won't start doing that now, I can only imagine we have to wait and see what happens and hope nothing horrible happens in the interm.  You know, just like the last 3.5 years.