'Mutton-chops' Crede on a tear

greasywheels121

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep04.html

'Mutton-chops' Crede on a tear

Joe Crede is in a hairy situation -- one that has coincided with a rise in his batting average.

Since growing long, nearly mutton-chop-style sideburns last month, Crede has been connecting on the meat of the bat. Through Wednesday, he was batting .326 (15-for-46) over his last 14 games to raise his average from .241 to .253. He had three home runs during that stretch.

''I think you're going to see his sideburns go as long as we keep winning,'' said Aaron Rowand, Crede's closest friend on the team.

Rowand thinks Crede's facial hair could be prominent if his success continues.

''He's going to look like Elvis soon,'' Rowand said.

How appropriate, considering Friday is the Sox' annual Elvis Night, with Elvis Presley tributes before the game and throughout the ballpark during the game.

More amazing than Crede going on a tear with new facial hair is that he has hit well after getting diagnosed with two herniated discs in his lower back. The condition was so worrisome for the Sox that they acquired Geoff Blum at the trade deadline to have some insurance at third base.

''I went up to [blum] and just felt terrible that he had to leave triplets and his home in San Diego,'' general manager Ken Williams said. ''He says: 'Hey, don't worry about it. You brought me to a club that's 15 games up. I think I can deal with the other stuff.'''

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 03:13 PM)
I would have loved a little mutton love last night with runners on base.

HEY WHITE SOX: STOP THE INFIELD POP-UPS!

Cool article though.  Wonder if Joe is performing on Friday.

all you have to do with crede is throw him a low and away pitch and he'll pop it up, that was all the blue jays did to him last night

Looking at the Blum part, you could tell Geoff was sorta out-of-it in Baltimore. He looked like a lost puppy on the bench.

Hopefully, he'll find a way to fit in with the guys and still be a happy and healthy daddy for his triplets.

As for Crede's sideburns...I'll worry about those when he stops popping-up.

QUOTE(KJean @ Aug 4, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
YAY! I love his new sideburns. But I noticed in today's (Thursday's) game that he switched back to batting with the gloves. He seemed to be doing great without them.

20050718CXS107.jpg

I noticed that to today. Right when i saw him wearing them i knew he was going to have a rough day. He's got to not wear the batting gloves and keep the chops growin.