Mariotti Column

Flash Tizzle

What's amazing in all of this is for the past few years since the Cubs picked up Barrett, all I have heard about is what a tough, hard-nosed player he is and how he is a throwback to the old tough catchers of yesteryear. Meanwhile, he doesn't even know the rules of baseball and took a cheap shot at AJ in the process. Further, he pulled another classless stunt several games back and no one mentions his reputation as a punk. Yet, AJ basically fits the hardnosed description always given to Barrett and is looked at as a pariah. It jus doesn't make sense to me.

QUOTE(Beltin @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
What's amazing in all of this is for the past few years since the Cubs picked up Barrett, all I have heard about is what a tough, hard-nosed player he is and how he is a throwback to the old tough catchers of yesteryear. Meanwhile, he doesn't even know the rules of baseball and took a cheap shot at AJ in the process. Further, he pulled another classless stunt several games back and no one mentions his reputation as a punk. Yet, AJ basically fits the hardnosed description always given to Barrett and is looked at as a pariah. It jus doesn't make sense to me.

Just consider the source.

QUOTE(YASNY @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
Just consider the source.

I agree, although it is not just Marriotti. Comcast was pretty direct in their assessment of Barrett being at fault, but just about every other media outlet I watched tried to spin it that "AJ must have done something". Kevin Kennedy even alluded that AJ was going toward to Cubs dugout to rub it in but made no note of the location of his helmet. It seems the consensus outside the White Sox world is, way to go Michael, you screwed up but AJ had it coming since we all hate him.

QUOTE(Beltin @ May 21, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)

Thats the funny thing. Mariotti basically justifies Barrett's cheap shot because of AJ's reputation, yet says nothing of Barrett's tendency to lose his cool and overreact to seemingly harmless situations.

But my favorite part of Mariotti's story is his dopey argument of Barrett being "deeply religious", as if he has more credibilty because of this. I don't want to turn this into an argument of the virtues of faith or whatever, but since when are "deeply religious" people void from making stupid decisions or acting like jerks? Either way, maybe Barrett simply forgot about God right before he punched AJ in the jaw. Thats ok, since he's deeply religious, well, he must have been in the right. Give me a f***ing break.

Maybe Barrett is a good guy, and from his reaction after the game, I think he handled it the right way. But what he did on the field shouldn't be defended. Unless you feel like you have to defend yourself, there is absolutely no justification for punching somebody in the face. And if AJ's reputation was indeed the reason Barrett punched him, then I think its Barrett's reputation that should be in question.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ May 21, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
Thats the funny thing. Mariotti basically justifies Barrett's cheap shot because of AJ's reputation, yet says nothing of Barrett's tendency to lose his cool and overreact to seemingly harmless situations.

But my favorite part of Mariotti's story is his dopey argument of Barrett being "deeply religious", as if he has more credibilty because of this. I don't want to turn this into an argument of the virtues of faith or whatever, but since when are "deeply religious" people void from making stupid decisions or acting like jerks? Either way, maybe Barrett simply forgot about God right before he punched AJ in the jaw. Thats ok, since he's deeply religious, well, he must have been in the right. Give me a f***ing break.

Maybe Barrett is a good guy, and from his reaction after the game, I think he handled it the right way. But what he did on the field shouldn't be defended. Unless you feel like you have to defend yourself, there is absolutely no justification for punching somebody in the face. And if AJ's reputation was indeed the reason Barrett punched him, then I think its Barrett's reputation that should be in question.

Well said. On the whole religious note, more wars have been started/justified in the name of religion that the history books have time to discuss. It is like my favorite bumper sticker says, "Who would Jesus bomb?" or in this instance, who would he punch? I don't trust anyone who starts using one's faith as justification for violent actions. It is what leads this country into places like Iraq.