Our Lineup Might be Amazing

ILMOU

In about two weeks or so, we'll know what we have in Q, for the rest of the season. When he replaces Anderson or Wise's bat in the lineup that's a bit of an upgrade, no? Good to see Getz show Ozzie what he can do against a lefty, and still using Nix.

Looking at the team stats today, we've got 4 guys hitting 300. Dye, Paulie, AJ, and Pods all having great years at the dish. It may be beyond the fluke stage with Pods' resurgence, and injury and running into outs too much could be the biggest concerns with him going forward.

Lexi's hitting, and Beckham will hit better as the season progresses, I believe. Getz is getting it. If Q looks like he can return to health and be a solid contributor, our lineup will rock. If he doesn't, we'll know before the trading deadline, and we add an outfielder. I'm guessing it will be in a trade for a FA to be, or an otherwise low-risk proposition.

Agreed, although I'll be encouraged when Beckham comes out of his mini-slump offensively and defensively. These Twins' games on the road are definitely going to be a test psychologically for an inexperienced rookie.

The week spots will continue to be Beckham (moreso defensively), the health of Pods and CQ and Getz. Still, those are MUCH less challenging problems than Fields/Lillibridge/Owens/Wise/Anderson/Miller/Betemit getting playing time.

Another thing to mention is that Nix and Ramon Castro are much more potent threats offensively than what we began the season with...both "under the radar" moves that many in baseball were probably scratching their heads at when they were announced (KW at his best, like the Jenks/Thornton/Marte moves....if JVB ever does anything, then KW has to win Executive of the Year).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 10, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Agreed, although I'll be encouraged when Beckham comes out of his mini-slump offensively and defensively. These Twins' games on the road are definitely going to be a test psychologically for an inexperienced rookie.

The week spots will continue to be Beckham (moreso defensively), the health of Pods and CQ and Getz. Still, those are MUCH less challenging problems than Fields/Lillibridge/Owens/Wise/Anderson/Miller/Betemit getting playing time.

Another thing to mention is that Nix and Ramon Castro are much more potent threats offensively than what we began the season with...both "under the radar" moves that many in baseball were probably scratching their heads at when they were announced (KW at his best, like the Jenks/Thornton/Marte moves....if JVB ever does anything, then KW has to win Executive of the Year).

That's a good point about Castro. Our production from the backup C has been non-existent for a few years, and Castro at least, is a bit dangerous, and might get some big hits for us before it's over. I also like that they're basically playing him every 5 days, with Jose, giving AJP a little more rest, and hopefully helping him to avoid a late season fatigue and slump.

It's somewhat scary how well Pods is doing. Even though I welcomed the signing and thought he would do okay, I did not expect what we have seen. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, be it injury or a major slump. Obviously he's no spring chicken and may not play like this ever again. I'm just glad we got him when we did.

Getz, I'll admit, I didn't think much of. I suppose I wasn't even aware that he came up from our minors. But, he has been fantastic as of late and had a career day yesterday. I wonder if he might be a better #2 hitter than Alexi right now. He doesn't have the power, but he's hitting well and has great speed. He could even be a leadoff man next year.

If CQ comes back and contributes even okay, it's an upgrade over platooning Wise and Anderson. I'm sure he'll be on base much more with walks and getting plugged by pitches than Wise/Anderson. He comes back with some power and our middle of the lineup will be very dangerous. With Pods getting on base and aggravating pitchers, the big hitters are even more formidable.

Overall, I agree that we will have a great lineup in the second half...that is provided Ozzie doesn't continue his love affair with Wise. If the starting pitching keeps up (I'm not looking at you Clayton Richard) and the bullpen is tight, the Sox have a real chance at the division.