Should Torres and Hudson be the 4 & 5

knightni

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 01:07 PM)
How is suggesting Torres and Hudson be moved to 4 and 5 in the rotation doing anything else? Were you implying we go to a 6 man rotation?

Contreras needs to take a few starts away from the rotation to fix whatever is bothering him before the team gets into "crunch time" in September and needs him.

Torres was coming up anyway, Hudson would pitch two starts for Jose while he gets his issues figured out.

When Peavy comes back, Jose would be the #5 guy anyway.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
He doesn't say "hi" to me.

Perhaps you are thinking of Lorenzo Barcelo or Felix Diaz.

Did Barcelo ever actually have it? I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't remember much about him. Just that he was tall.

I was listening to Bruce Levine yesterday, and he said to watch Jose pitch to lefties and you'd be able to tell if he had it. Sure enough, Jose had a tough time against lefties. He couldn't get the forkball over. But I have seen him when he is on, and he's nearly unhitable. I hope to see that Jose show up again.

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 09:41 AM)
With needing a 5th starter only twice before Peavy hopefully will be pitching, I wouldn't be against using Carrasco again. He's looked decent during his start and long relief yesterday.

I'm not opposed to this, but he might be really limited (4-5 innings, max) by a lack of arm conditioning. The Sox would probably need to use their bullpen heavily.

I'm not opposed to using Hudson for a spot start (or two, if he's successful in the first outing). He's probably not ready yet, but with Poreda and Richard gone, I'm not sure what the other options are.

I hope Carrasco stays in the pen. He's waaay too valuable in that role for us to move him out of there. It's not like he'd come in as a starter and start blowing people away. It's not like he's our Phil Hughes or anything. The risk of overworking the rest of the pen for a few days in his absence far outweighs the benefit of a couple mediocre starts. Just call up Torres, Hudson, Whisler, Harrell, etc. Doesn't really matter which one unless we need to permanently replace Contreras.

And if we do have to permanently replace Count, hopefully we can get Garland back for next to nothing. The DBacks are on the hook for Garland's buyout after this year so if we agree to take on the rest of his salary this year and then split the buyout like in the Griffey deal, we should be able to get him for a couple mediocre prospects. Doug Davis might be a better option, but Garland should be cheapest and is the most likely external option IMO given his relationship with the DBacks FO.

For Saturday, I'd like to see Torres again. I'd also like to see Huddy promoted to Charlotte after his tenth B'Ham start so he can get some seasoning in a hitters park against more experienced hitters. And I'm hoping to see the two of them duel for the 5th spot in the rotation next ST.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 12:13 AM)
according to Cooper, the names are Whisler, Torres and Carrasco. Fred's not ready yet.

I've actually been wondering why we haven't seen Torres since TB. I thought he pitched very well.

QUOTE (rockren @ Aug 6, 2009 -> 01:13 AM)
I've actually been wondering why we haven't seen Torres since TB. I thought he pitched very well.

I would guess he'll be up to start on Saturday, as I think Ozzie would like to save Carrasco and the bullpen.

For Saturday, I'd like to see Torres again. I'd also like to see Huddy promoted to Charlotte after his tenth B'Ham start so he can get some seasoning in a hitters park against more experienced hitters. And I'm hoping to see the two of them duel for the 5th spot in the rotation next ST.

Stan, wish one is granted. :-) :-)

Huddy on his way up to Charlotte.