Hurray Benedict!

Soxplosion

Roman, get a clue about how the body works before you post this inane garbage.

Esteban, prior to this season, had only surpassed 190 innings one time(I believe).  He has thrown 210-220 this year.  If you throw an extraordinary amount of innings, you're going to get very tired very quickly.  For example, if you are lifting weights, and you can normally bench 150 5 times for 3 reps, you will be able to do that all the time.  However, you add 15 pounds to that, you do it 6 times per rep, and you do 4 reps, your arms are going to either fall off, or you won't be able to complete it with the same results you did with your first 150-5-3.  Bring in the baseball analogy here, and you'll see that Elo's arm was used to throwing 175 or so innings a year, but he could get up to 190 as well.  When he was asked to do 40-50 more innings then his arm was used to, his arm because very tired and he experienced a dead arm period. 

You wondered why I and almost everyone else on these boards knew that KC was going to falter come September?  There's your reason right there.

ill also add to what your saying by talking about his mental state of mind in there as well.... he has gone through some seriously tough family times in his past few years.. a rabid money hungry ex wife... a kid with brain tumors....and a new wife with illness as well....mental state of mind can make or break you as well as the physical aspects...... ;)

That it can. But in issues like that, players can also step it up as well. I'll never forget the night Jordan had the flu in the NBA Finals against the Jazz.....that gives me goosebumps every time I recall it.

But in cases like that, players can also break down, like you said. For example, a less devastating one then ELo's, but Mike Hampton in Colorado. He was a great pitcher before signing with Colorado, and then turns to s***, both at home AND on the road. The Coors effect only works at home, which is why the Rockies are always awesome in Coors and always s***ty on the road.

But I can understand ELo's predicament as well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic