Progressive Feminists/BLM people/etc

Reddy

Yeah I think most of you are right here - maybe I just need to unfollow my hardline crazy left friends... but there's a part of me that feels like there HAS to be a way to find common ground, but maybe you're right. They may be too deeply emotionally invested in these issues (understandably, but unfortunately) to see it rationally/have a fair discussion.

to see it rationally/have a fair discussion.

There's half of the problem...there's never going to be a fair/objective/unbiased discussion or progress in this area if it's just people screaming at each other and not even attempting to listen to the other side.

Of course, the obvious problem here is the idea of "sides," because you have that split on the left already over some of these issues, and then the much larger split between liberals vs. moderate/independents and these women simply won't get anywhere with conservatives (the positions will become even more entrenched). In fact, even with the state of North Carolina losing BILLIONS of dollars over the bathroom issue (and tons of jobs, especially in the service industry related to special events/conventions/basketball tournaments), there's no signs of the right giving in at all. So you're certainly not going to get anywhere by appealing to reason or emotion or the good 'ol compassion argument.

Instead of un-friending or de-friending people you seem to care about....why not simply make an agreement not to talk about these specific issues and vow to work together instead on the areas of common agreement which are not so divisive? Eventually, every movement runs into obstacles/roadblocks and realizes they need to adapt and change their tactics in order to see any progress, or they just dissolve like Occupy Wall Street.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Reddy @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
".... needs the Bernie wing - as hardline and uncompromising as they tend to be."

my hardline crazy left friends

Perhaps this point of view comes across in your interactions and these people don't fully believe that you're an ally.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 28, 2017 -> 10:18 PM)
Perhaps this point of view comes across in your interactions and these people don't fully believe that you're an ally.

possibly. I'm way more flippant here than I am when I'm actually making a cogent argument that appeals to reason. Y'all don't see that from me too much here so I understand where you're coming from ;)

Compromising on single payer, for example...is what got the Democrats where they are with this current health care mess.

The Massachusetts/Romney plan was so watered down that you got a hodge-podge of different policies intersecting, and you knew it was going to have to be fixed. The problem, of course, is finding the political will to fix healthcare on a bipartisan basis.

The GOP has to see it as in their best interests to repair the current system, rather than doing everything constitutionally possible to see it fail so they can use it as an argument (Obamacare/Dems are still to blame) in the 2018 midterms.