Super early but spring training question

mmmmmbeeer

My brother and I, both living out of state, have made it a tradition to go to Opening Day for the last several years. Given our string of horrible cold, rain, and even snow/ice, we're looking at changing things up next season and heading out to spring training.

For you guys who have been, what would be the best hotel to stay at? We're looking to check out games, obviously, but also plan on playing some golf and are both fans of good independent restaurants and bars.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 08:21 PM)
My brother and I, both living out of state, have made it a tradition to go to Opening Day for the last several years. Given our string of horrible cold, rain, and even snow/ice, we're looking at changing things up next season and heading out to spring training.

For you guys who have been, what would be the best hotel to stay at? We're looking to check out games, obviously, but also plan on playing some golf and are both fans of good independent restaurants and bars.

Look into airnbnb / 3rd party options. Glendale is a bit away from Phoenix / Tempe so plan on renting a car, you'll enjoy the freedom and even at spring training things are so cheap around the area you will not regret it.

I've been twice now, last time stayed at an airbnb in Tempe, the 1st time at a budget hotel and my friend's house in Tempe. Had a blast both times. I think early spring training is better as it's usually cooler and the prospects are showing out.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Appreciate it, fellas. I hadn't even thought of using airbnb.

This year we (me and two buddies) did more of a "spring training survey" and hit up 4 games in 5 nights and four different stadiums rather than just seeing the Sox at Glandale a couple times as I did prior. It was by far a better experience. Some of the fields are just ridiculous now. Talking Stick field felt like a mini Camden Yards to me and was well worth the drive.

Personally I'm still a bit younger (although it's fading, fml) so I enjoyed the college / young professional vibe in Tempe quite a bit. We stayed about a mile south of campus and the airbnb we were at had bikes so after the games we'd just ride our bikes through campus and onto the main drags in Tempe and then rinse and repeat the next day.

Having the car was a must to see all the various stadiums. And I enjoy driving in the Valley of the Sun quite a bit. Wide open spaces for the most part, even rush hour isn't that bad compared to what I'm used to here in Seattle.

I encourage everybody to go to spring training, especially if you're coming from a cold place. The weather will put a smile on your face and once you go once you'll want to make it a year or semi yearly thing.