SOXTALK Discord Server?

joejoesox

Discord is a proprietary freeware instant messaging and VoIP application and digital distribution platform designed for creating communities ranging from gamers to education and businesses. Discord specializes in text, image, video and audio communication between users in a chat channel.

https://discord.com/new

Basically you create your own server (Not sure what that entails as far as hosting, if you can run it on a private machine or if you have to buy one or buy a license), and people can join your server and discuss certain topics via chat and also voice.  You create different discussion groups based on whatever topics you choose, just like we have here on Soxtalk

Only difference is you can talk to each other in real time, rather than a forum environment.

Here's a screenshot of a gaming server I'm an admin on, though to be fair I'm not much of an admin, I don't spend a whole lot of time doing admin-related stuff

discord.png

I think Soxtalk had a IRC server back in the day that had a web interface, as well. It's fun. I like Discord servers and would join if there was one. I have a lot of Discord administrative experience, as well so if you all would want help with that let me know. I was head admin for a large community of Pokemon Go players spanning a large portion of the far west suburbs. 

So if we put the Soxtalk name on something, it would need to follow board rules.  Moderating a chat like that is hell, so we're not looking to support this kind of model officially as affiliated with Soxtalk.

That said, if someone wants to setup a discord server and invite Soxtalk members, especially during say game threads, we won't stop anyone from doing that.  We just ask that advertising is kept to a minimum as we've had people go overboard with ads to their blogs, facebook pages, etc in the past.