Mark Buerhle

Guest Guest

I just wanted to know what was said about Buerhle before he get to the big league and before he started games for us? I wasnt on any boards before by that time. Did anyone think he can succeed or there were doubters also? Of course he is our ACE now but did everyone really think he is that good in the minors?

My questions about Mark relates to my other question. Who do we have in the minors who can make an impact same as Buerhle did pitching wise? I read that Stewart is going to get a look in our rotation this spring training. Manuel even said he liked Stewart, and said a lefty can either pitch or not.

Buehrle is one of the top pitchers in the game right now; I doubt we have anyone else in the minors who we can legitimately expect the same out of.

I'm not minor league expert, but as of now, I'd say the onl big time Sox pitching prospect (as a starter, anyway) is Honel. Malone, too, if he finds his stuff.

Buehrle was a 38th round draft and follow. The closest we have to Buehrle would be Haigwood or Heath Phillips.

Yep, Phillips gets compared to Buerhle quite a bit.

As far as Buerhle goes, I remember when he came up, I think he made his first start against the Angels and struggled. Not many people thought he was for real, although you couldn't deny his stats.

It took him a while to adjust, and then in spring training he ended up winning a starters spot and all was history.

Sometimes you just luck out. I do think the Sox liked him, but he never got the hype of players like Wells and Garland, mainly because its much harder to predict soft tossers.

As far as Buerhle goes, I remember when he came up, I think he made his first start against the Angels and struggled.

It didn't take MB long to adjust though. I remember watching a one-hitter he pitched against, I think it was, the A's in late 2001.

That one hitter was against the Devil Rays, IIRC.

As far as Buerhle goes, I remember when he came up, I think he made his first start against the Angels and struggled.

It didn't take MB long to adjust though. I remember watching a one-hitter he pitched against, I think it was, the A's in late 2001.

It was against the DRays and even tho theyre not exactly a powerhouse its incredibly hard to one hit somebody in this day and age. He gave up a hit and walked one and that was it.

The emergence of Buehrle was a total surprise to me. You think he'll throw a no hitter? Would be great and he deserves one. Yet, someone I see a no hiotter being tossed by a hard throwing pitcher. I can someone see Biddle doing it id he can play 8-9 straight innings and he is in a groove.

I tend to see Buehrle with Cy Youngs more than with no hitters. But let him have both! I'd love it!

The emergence of Buehrle was a total surprise to me.  You think he'll throw a no hitter?  Would be great and he deserves one.  Yet, someone I see a no hiotter being tossed by a hard throwing pitcher.  I can someone see Biddle doing it id he can play 8-9 straight innings and he is in a groove.

I tend to see Buehrle with Cy Youngs more than with no hitters.  But let him have both!  I'd love it!

C-dub....are you talking this year or in the future? Because I see someone like Wright or Garland possibly throwing one their career....and I seriously wouldn't be as surprised as I normally would be to see Wright throw an AJ Burnett-like no-hitter this year if he has an incredibly good night(or even an incredibly bad night-stuff wise...he could confuse the hitters). However, right now, I see only Buehrle and Rauch being potential Cy Young winners.

Yet, someone I see a no I see only Buehrle and Rauch being potential Cy Young winners.

I'd agree with that.

When Rocky is smoking (2001 Saturday home game against the scrubs) I can see him someday throwing a no-hitter IF he stays healthy and IF he can keep it going for 8-9 innings as needed.

I definately think Rauch can be a true ace, thats why I never want to see us deal him. The guy is going to be phenomenal. I am so excited to see him pitch. I really believe he is going to be one of those kids that can make an immediate impact. I'm not saying era in the 3's, but low 4's throwing innings, winning a lot of games.

I'm hoping he can burst onto the scene ala Freddy Garcia, Mulder, Zito, and Hudson.

Also people fotget he was coming back form a injury last season, and his velocity was way down.

The one thing I like about Rauch is that he hasn't really been rushed. He shouldn't of started with the Sox last season, but they saved face, as they gave him more time in AAA and he's really had quite a bit of exeperience in the minors and is a pretty complete pitcher.

If he's healthy, he should be up, but he shouldn't be back up until he's 100%. I liked his control, loved his curve ball, love his arm angle, and now its just time to see his fastball gain about 2-3 mph (Which should happen as he should be healthy after a good season back where he gained stamina, muscle, etc)

The one thing I like about Rauch is that he hasn't really been rushed.  He shouldn't of started with the Sox last season, but they saved face, as they gave him more time in AAA and he's really had quite a bit of exeperience in the minors and is a pretty complete pitcher.

If he's healthy, he should be up, but he shouldn't be back up until he's 100%.  I liked his control, loved his curve ball, love his arm angle, and now its just time to see his fastball gain about 2-3 mph (Which should happen as he should be healthy after a good season back where he gained stamina, muscle, etc)

It's a good thing they put him back down because he looked like he was about to crap his pants the couple of times he pitched when he was up. Hopefully he'll be over that the next time he is up.

The one thing I like about Rauch is that he hasn't really been rushed.  He shouldn't of started with the Sox last season, but they saved face, as they gave him more time in AAA and he's really had quite a bit of exeperience in the minors and is a pretty complete pitcher.

If he's healthy, he should be up, but he shouldn't be back up until he's 100%.  I liked his control, loved his curve ball, love his arm angle, and now its just time to see his fastball gain about 2-3 mph (Which should happen as he should be healthy after a good season back where he gained stamina, muscle, etc)

It's a good thing they put him back down because he looked like he was about to crap his pants the couple of times he pitched when he was up. Hopefully he'll be over that the next time he is up.

They brought him up in August and he sat on the bench..... what..... like a month before JM finally let him start a game against the Twinkies. And, as predicted by myself and Guido while we were tailgating with RPS and HSC that Saturday, Rauch owned the Twins..... giving up only 2 runs (both HR's) in a White Sox winner. Rauch could be a dark horse in this seasons rotation depending on what he does in ST and if Biddle or Toad are available to start in the rotation.

They brought him up in August and he sat on the bench..... what..... like a month before JM finally let him start a game against the Twinkies.

And I believe he beat the Twinkies 3-2 in the Humpdome.That was in 2000,if I remember correctly. I also saw Beuhrle more as a reliever.But his 2001 season changed my mind completely. ;)

They brought him up in August and he sat on the bench..... what..... like a month before JM finally let him start a game against the Twinkies. And, as predicted by myself and Guido while we were tailgating with RPS and HSC that Saturday, Rauch owned the Twins..... giving up only 2 runs (both HR's) in a White Sox winner. Rauch could be a dark horse in this seasons rotation depending on what he does in ST and if Biddle or Toad are available to start in the rotation.

I'm not necessarily talking about his performance, although from what I remember it was more like getting by than owning. He looked scared and nervous, you could see it in his eyes and in the way he carried himself. I remember after one inning he almost tripped into the dugout.

Anyway I'm not trying to say the kid isn't any good, I think he's going to be great. I just don't think it was the right time to call him up in terms of development. He should have been in the minors.

I'm not necessarily talking about his performance, although from what I remember it was more like getting by than owning. He looked scared and nervous, you could see it in his eyes and in the way he carried himself. I remember after one inning he almost tripped into the dugout.

Anyway I'm not trying to say the kid isn't any good, I think he's going to be great. I just don't think it was the right time to call him up in terms of development. He should have been in the minors.

If I'm not mistaken, Rauch was up with the Sox before that August call-up and, if I recall correctly, he didn't fare too well in 3 or 4 outings. I think that is what you are remembering bjmarte. Trust me though when I say he looked real good in late 2002.

[depending on what he does in ST and if Biddle or Toad are available to start in the rotation.

"Toad"? Please help me out with who Toad is the nickname for... thanks!

Just what I call Todd Ritchie ;)

Well now that makes all the sense in the world :D

Can you enligthen me as to whether we can resign Ritchie for the opening of the season in March, or do we have to wait until May? I have heard it both ways. I would not mind at all having Ritchie back in the team, and I think the Sox were right to handle this as they did because Ritchie was not worth the least we could have then signed him for. Although if we lose him, I will b**** that we should have signed him at the minimum possible and not released him in December because there is no way that he can be as bad in 2003 as he was in 2002 and as a 4th - 5th pitcher, we need him.

I would love to see Parque come back for us. Not counting on it, but I always liked his attitude and I still think manuel took him out one inning too early on the fateful October day in 2000 - Parque coming back could be the feel good / come back story of the year in 2003.

Then again I'd like to trade Jose Valentin and Jason Dallereo (spelling) to the Yankees for Pettitt, so maybe I should put the crack pipe down now.

The problem was how much the Sox would of had to pay Ritchie if they didn't agree to arbitration. Now that he's free, they can offer him a whole lot less. Ritchie wasn't worth 3 million (Someone check me on that because my mind is drawing me a blank right now, but I think that would of been about the min we could of paid him)

Still, Todd will be better and it would be nice having him back. I've yet to here a distinct answer whether we can have him back or not. Part of me thinks we can, part of me thinks we can't.