Expanded Playoff Proposal - 7 Teams from each League

KrankinSox

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Increases overall revenue though, no?

It might, especially at first. But I suspect that the feeling of "watering down" the playoffs will reduce interest in the earlier rounds too. The playoffs are a boon because they're exciting, and a big part of them being exciting is that they're rare.

I'm talking out of my ass here, of course. This is just my gut mixed with generic econ.

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

That's what the salary floor is for. This is just to get some more money from extra playoff games. 

Right, my post was assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that this was proposed by the league at least partially in response to the union's demand to incentivize winning. I'm reading between the lines, but admittedly just making hot takes.

If the Sox win the central, I look forward to the arguments here about which opponent they should pick.

And I agree that playoff expansion is not good...imo it just means that many more shitty lineups during the season to keep the team healthy and rested for the playoffs.