Keith Law on Colson Montgomery

bmags

Wow, what a write-up:

• On Tuesday night, I caught the White Sox’s High-A affiliate, Winston-Salem, at Baltimore’s affiliate in Aberdeen. Winston-Salem featured shortstop Colson MontgomeryChicago’s first-round pick in 2021 out of an Indiana high school, who has been outstanding at the plate at two levels so far this year as a 20-year-old. He’s had two hits in four of his seven games so far in High A. I did not get to one of those games, although he did have one hit, so this isn’t a Luis Robertsituation, but he played the hell out of shortstop, with a quick first step and a plus arm, making two good plays coming in on softly hit balls. His swing is good, if sometimes long, and he did show he could pull his hands in to shorten up and stay inside the ball. The big question about Montgomery in high school was whether he could hit better pitching, since he hadn’t done so as an amateur, but so far the results are very, very promising.”

https://theathletic.com/3398959/2022/07/04/phillies-nationals-orioles-white-sox-prospects/?source=user_shared_article

• Like 5
  • Fire 3

Someone asked on what whether  Montgomery would be in his midseason top 100:  "in a word, no."  What I glean from the (very positive) write-up is that he just hasn't proven enough yet  against quality competition.

Said Colas had "trouble with the curve" which is I guess not surprising.  

• Cuban outfielder Oscar Colás, signed this January for a $2.7 million bonus, is also off to a strong start in High A, although at 23 the former NPB minor leaguer should be ready to hit in High A. He’s got a powerful swing and makes a lot of hard contact, but on Tuesday showed some trouble with breaking stuff, chasing the same pitch multiple times while making his contact on fastballs and changeups.