The Chili Dog Home Run Remembered...

Lip Man 1

51 years ago today one of the most famous home runs in Sox history took place. I was sitting in the lower right field deck and personally saw it, it was quite a moment.

I've also attached some links that I provided material for honoring Dick's career on the South Side.

The first is from the Chicago Baseball Museum's 40th anniversary celebration for Dick and that team. I co-hosted with Richard Roeper, the three day event. Dick was there along with Hank Allen, Bill Melton, Carlos May, Tom Bradley, Bart Johnson, "Goose" Gossage, Ed Spiezio and Roland Hemond. 

The second and third links are features Matt Flesch put together, Matt was the driving force behind the "Last Comiskey" documentary. You'll see actual home movie footage of the Chili Dog home run that I was able to provide to him in it.

I hope you enjoy the memories:

June 4, 1972 - It is forever known as the “Chili Dog Game” one of the most electrifying games ever played in team history.

In the second game of a double header with the Yankees, the Sox having already won the first game 6-1,  Sox manager Chuck Tanner wanted Dick Allen to be ready to pinch hit in the last of the ninth inning if needed. Allen at the time was wolfing down a chili dog since he had played in the first game, was sitting out the nightcap and was hungry. He quickly had to put on a uniform getting the last of the chili dog all over the top of it which caused the clubhouse boys to give him a new, clean jersey.  

With two men on and the Sox losing 4-2, Allen was called to hit. On the third pitch from future Sox relief pitcher AlSparky” Lyle, Allen deposited the ball into the left field lower deck for a 5-4 win and a sweep of the twin bill. A bat-day crowd of almost 52-thousand exploded.

One of the greatest one-liners in Sox history took place as Lyle was walking in from the bullpen. Mike Andrews was on first base. He and Lyle were roommates when both were with the Red Sox. As Lyle approached the mound Andrews called out, “Sparky”, you’re in deep s%*# now!”

As a side note, future sportscaster Keith Olbermann, a Yankee fan, wrote about listening to this game in his book that he co-authored with Dan Patrick “The Big Show”. Olbermann wrote that when Allen hit the home run, he threw his radio out of the second-floor window of his parent’s house.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Thanks Lip. It is great to have you contribute your historical perspective to this place !

Richie "Dick" Allen was one of the few superstars the Sox had and although it was only for 3 years those 3 years were the best 3 consecutive years of his carer in his age 30-32 seasons. His career OBP, Slugging, OPS and  OPS+ are outstanding.

Frank Thomas has the exact same career OPS+ as Allen does, 156.

The videos were great . I especially enjoyed the 1st one listening to Allen and Tanner speak.

I highly recommend watching them for you younger ones who weren't around for those days.

Those red pinstriped uniforms became very popular for a while when Allen was on the Sox.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Thanks Lip. It is great to have you contribute your historical perspective to this place !

Richie "Dick" Allen was one of the few superstars the Sox had and although it was only for 3 years those 3 years were the best 3 consecutive years of his carer in his age 30-32 seasons. His career OBP, Slugging, OPS and  OPS+ are outstanding.

Frank Thomas has the exact same career OPS+ as Allen does, 156.

The videos were great . I especially enjoyed the 1st one listening to Allen and Tanner speak.

I highly recommend watching them for you younger ones who weren't around for those days.

Those red pinstriped uniforms became very popular for a while when Allen was on the Sox.

Thank you for the kind words.

I still think the red pinstripes were one of the best uniforms they ever had. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Thank you for the kind words.

I still think the red pinstripes were one of the best uniforms they ever had. 

Pretty sure they were the first team with blue pastel roadies which most teams were wearing by the late 1970's. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pcq said:

Pretty sure they were the first team with blue pastel roadies which most teams were wearing by the late 1970's. 

The Sox remember had powder blue road uniforms for the 1967-1970 seasons too.

Edited by Lip Man 1