2023 draft non sox discussion

Dominikk85

Interesting that the consensus best player Crews didn't go 1-1.

Apparently boras who is his agent tried to move him down to the two spot to get him to the nationals.

Might end up a smart move driving his bonus money up, will be interesting to see how much more he gets than skenes and if he maybe even gets over slot.

Apart from that I think the rangers got quite lucky. Not only they "lotteried" up from 7 to 4 but they also got langford where many said he is the second best player in the draft.

As they also develop hitting really well they might have a monster offense in a year but pitching remains an issue.

Pirates definitely take a risk with a pitcher at one but on the other hand they do need pitching and they are never going to sign such a pitcher in free agency-that is if skenes works out and doesn't get injured. 

• Fire 1

I just can't get over what Washington's offense is going to look like in a couple years.  They already have Keibert Ruiz (24) and CJ Abrams (22) established in the big leagues and they added Dylan Crews (21) and Yohandy Morales (21) to James Wood (20), Brady House (20), Elijah Green (19) and Robert Hassell (21).  Good lord.

I would expect them to add plenty of pitching the next couple of days.  This team is going to come on fast.  

17 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I just can't get over what Washington's offense is going to look like in a couple years.  They already have Keibert Ruiz (24) and CJ Abrams (22) established in the big leagues and they added Dylan Crews (21) and Yohandy Morales (21) to James Wood (20), Brady House (20), Elijah Green (19) and Robert Hassell (21).  Good lord.

I would expect them to add plenty of pitching the next couple of days.  This team is going to come on fast.  

Player development has been an issue for them though, especially on the pitching side but also hitting.

They won't mess up Crews but after him many of their guys took a step back and they haven't developed a home grown above average starter in years.  They really need both gray and gore reaching their ceiling and staying healthy.

The Nats pretty much fired everyone in PD this past off season and spent some money replacing them. It's early but the results have been encouraging with players like Wood, House and Rutledge taking big steps forward.  Rizzo didn't draft nearly as much pitching on day 2 that I thought he would but he got a huge arm in HS righty Travis Sykora.  It will be interesting to see if they have any money left to overslot a couple guys today.  

On H-F's Dillon Head

(Edited)
Yep, they signed him for $2.8M, below the $3.17M "Suggested Retail Value" for 25th pick. That leaves $370,000 to spread around for lower picks.

I'd have given up Clemson/college for $2.8M too. Of course, back then $2.8M had the purchasing power of almost $27M
Edited by caulfield12

• 4 weeks later...