This Day In Sox History...August 10

Lip Man 1

August 10, 1959 - Sox infielders Nellie Fox and Luis Aparicio appeared together on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The caption read, “Magic Up The Middle, Fox and Aparicio.”

August 10, 1959 Table Of Contents - Sports Illustrated Vault | SI.com

August 10, 1990 - The odds had to be a million to one. They were two of the smallest players in Major League baseball yet on this night in the second game of a double header at Comiskey Park, the impossible happened. In the second inning, the Sox Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen hit back-to-back home runs off hard throwing Nolan Ryan. It was part of a four-run inning in a 5-1 win and a sweep of the two games. Making matters even more incredible was that both Grebeck and Guillen pulled their shots. Craig reaching the left field seats and Ozzie right field!

August 10, 1993 - With his career fading, the Sox dealt their all-time saves leader, Bobby Thigpen to the Phillies for pitcher Jose DeLeon. Thigpen saved a then Major League record, 57 games in 1990 but was never the same afterwards posting lower and lower save numbers in the years after the mark was set.

August 10, 2009 - In an aggressive move the White Sox claimed two-time All-Star Alex Ríos off of waivers from the Blue Jays. Rios was hitting .264 at the time, with 14 home runs, 62 RBIs but was also due $58.6 million through 2015.

Rios’ tenure with the White Sox was a mixed bag, playing poorly after being claimed in 2009, and in the ballyhooed 2011 “All-In” season but flashing the talent that got him claimed by G.M. Ken Williams in the first place in 2010 (3.3 WAR) and 2012 (4.8 WAR).

Rios was off to a so-so start in 2013 before the White Sox dealt him to Texas for Leury García. The deal off-loaded more than $20 million the White Sox were on the hook for, but overall, doling Rios out $37.2 million to produce 7.0 WAR in his career on the South Side was a significant overpay.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

August 10, 1959 - Sox infielders Nellie Fox and Luis Aparicio appeared together on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The caption read, “Magic Up The Middle, Fox and Aparicio.”

August 10, 1990 - The odds had to be a million to one. They were two of the smallest players in Major League baseball yet on this night in the second game of a double header at Comiskey Park, the impossible happened. In the second inning, the Sox Craig Grebeck and Ozzie Guillen hit back-to-back home runs off hard throwing Nolan Ryan. It was part of a four-run inning in a 5-1 win and a sweep of the two games. Making matters even more incredible was that both Grebeck and Guillen pulled their shots. Craig reaching the left field seats and Ozzie right field!

August 10, 1993 - With his career fading, the Sox dealt their all-time saves leader, Bobby Thigpen to the Phillies for pitcher Jose DeLeon. Thigpen saved a then Major League record, 57 games in 1990 but was never the same afterwards posting lower and lower save numbers in the years after the mark was set.

I’m pretty sure I remember the original S I cover had both GOs circled for GO GO.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I wish I could have seen them play. My father absolutely loved them as I heard tons of stories, including the World Series played in a absurd football college football stadium which was a crime.

4 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I wish I could have seen them play. My father absolutely loved them as I heard tons of stories, including the World Series played in an absurd football college football stadium which was a crime.

My boyhood heroes along with Billy Pierce and Minnie  but Nellie was my favorite, first thing I checked in the Sox box scores was how many hits Nellie had.