Holy Shit

LDF

142 pitchers 90 mph or better in Jupiter Final total and new record!

were do we draft in the upcoming draft?

great site mac.

Dang...one thing for sure is, we know kids are throwing harder and its got to be a big reason why kids are throwing their arms out more and more often.

Arms just aren't meant to throw the ball the way we do it, they are meant to throw it softball style or at least thats what I remember hearing a year or two ago when they were talking about all the extra surgeries.

Of course I still think most of the injuries are because of the radar gun (Forces many to overthrow or forget about mechanics so they can do all they can to cheat and throw harder) and the fact that pitchers now don't run anywhere near what pitchers in the past used to. Man, pitchers in the olden days would run till their legs fell off, and would then run some more. I'd like to see the Sox step out and go back to that old school mentality and run the heck out of their pitchers. It ain't going to hurt their arms and at worse we'd get to see our players come back at Soxfest more often as they'd be living a lot longer.

142 pitchers 90 mph or better in Jupiter Final total and new record!

were do we draft in the upcoming draft?

great site mac.

Dang...one thing for sure is, we know kids are throwing harder and its got to be a big reason why kids are throwing their arms out more and more often.

Arms just aren't meant to throw the ball the way we do it, they are meant to throw it softball style or at least thats what I remember hearing a year or two ago when they were talking about all the extra surgeries.

Of course I still think most of the injuries are because of the radar gun (Forces many to overthrow or forget about mechanics so they can do all they can to cheat and throw harder) and the fact that pitchers now don't run anywhere near what pitchers in the past used to. Man, pitchers in the olden days would run till their legs fell off, and would then run some more. I'd like to see the Sox step out and go back to that old school mentality and run the heck out of their pitchers. It ain't going to hurt their arms and at worse we'd get to see our players come back at Soxfest more often as they'd be living a lot longer.

thing is today players are not like they were in yesteryears. today they are bigger, stronger, and faster. its a proven fact. we can't compare them on the same standards.

Then they should be able to run. Our pitchers on my Provincial team run their bags off, it's f***in' funny. I coach some kids 12-15, every kid wants to throw a f***ing curveball, learn the mechanics when young, save the arm for oyur older years, baseball career or not. One thing too, too many kids don't warm up enough or ice after games and practices and I'm not very old but it blows my mind, that their arms don't hurt like a bastard after pitching.

Then they should be able to run.  Our pitchers on my Provincial team run their bags off, it's f***in' funny.  I coach some kids 12-15, every kid wants to throw a f***ing curveball, learn the mechanics when young, save the arm for oyur older years, baseball career or not.  One thing too, too many kids don't warm up enough or ice after games and practices and I'm not very old but it blows my mind, that their arms don't hurt like a bastard after pitching.

that is all too true. the youths of today want to learn at an earlier age, how to throw some of the more difficult pitches. however that is the coaches doing, still the players are bigger and stronger as many in the sports world have said.

I wish they would throw the radar gun out and instead teach young kids how to pitch. Lots of guys win the in the big leagues without throwing in the high 90's. In my brief coaching experience some years ago we stressed mechanics and building arm and leg strength. They go together. Tom Seaver used to say he got his good fastball from strong leg drive. Yes, pitchers today throw harder than ever before, but who can pitch 10 or more complete games a year or 250 + innings? If teams didn't feel obligated to carry 11-12 pitchers then you could add a position player or two on the roster and have more flexibility to make moves late in a game. Don't get me wrong, I like power pitchers as much as anyone. Especially closers. (Come on Billy K!). I just feel there is way too much emphasis on the radar gun. Getting batters out is still the most important measurement of all.

I helped coach a little league baseball team this past season and it was quite sad seeing the mindset of little kids, and worse, the thinking of the other coaches.

all a kid wants to do is throw the ball hard and throw a curve, and every damn coach in the league encourages it because they are complete morons.

I'm not really a pitching guru, but I tried to stress to them accuracy and throwing strikes. Thing was kids are so brainwashed by so many jackass coaches and try for that blazing fastball and show no committment to being a PITCHER and building up leg strength, which is the most important thing.

It was a shame because one kid actually blew out his arm. A 13-14 year old kid blew out his arm. What's is even more sad is the kids being overworked on the mound isn't even the worse thing in these little league's. Kids don't learn a thing it seems. The kids and the parents treat playoffs and stuff like it is their life. They do whatever it takes to win, when the point of little league baseball is to learn the game and have fun.

the manager for our team was telling his players in one game to not swing toward the end of the game? why? because they were losing by a lot and the pitcher was the other teams best pitcher, so he wanted to wear him down so he can't pitch the following day. He then had his pitchers intentionally walking the other teams best hitter. I'm still disgusted by that.

What does a kid learn if he's told to go to the mound, throw his hardest, and walk any kid who poses a threat? Or if he goes to the plate and make no effort at all to hit a good pitcher? NOTHING.

sorry I went on a little thing here, this conversation just brought me on the topic.

Then they should be able to run.  Our pitchers on my Provincial team run their bags off, it's f***in' funny.  I coach some kids 12-15, every kid wants to throw a f***ing curveball, learn the mechanics when young, save the arm for oyur older years, baseball career or not.  One thing too, too many kids don't warm up enough or ice after games and practices and I'm not very old but it blows my mind, that their arms don't hurt like a bastard after pitching.

I was lucky, when I played my coaches didn't even let me throw a curve ball and I even think it was a league rule until you were like 15.

It didn't stop me from blowing my arm, but that happened because of overuse, I always felt I could throw and I threw way too much, considering I basically played year around in many leagues.

Still, once I got to the higher leagues where you would travel and such, I'd run probably 5 miles every other day. I'm trying to get back into that groove now, just for the sake of staying in real good shape.

The best thing you can teach kids is fundementals, they will grow into throwing hard and everything else. Plus, in the lower leagues, you don't need to throw a curve, if you can throw accurate, and learn to throw a changeup (A pitch I think all pitchers should throw) you will be very sucessful.

When it comes to fielding, you need to stress, staying down on the ball, and staying in front of it. Basically if you want to be a good coach, tell kids to forget the flashy play, and just to learn the fundementals cause when you got great fundementals flashy plays come along with them. Its those that only care about that that screw things up, and coaches tell them to do it.

Speaking of fielding, my favorite drill this year was whipping tennis ball one hoppers at the infielders and catcher, without their gloves then moving up to gloves and baseballs. Our cather didn't need it too much, he was a hockie goalie, no fear and he blocked everything in sight.

Then they should be able to run.  Our pitchers on my Provincial team run their bags off, it's f***in' funny.  I coach some kids 12-15, every kid wants to throw a f***ing curveball, learn the mechanics when young, save the arm for oyur older years, baseball career or not.  One thing too, too many kids don't warm up enough or ice after games and practices and I'm not very old but it blows my mind, that their arms don't hurt like a bastard after pitching.

I was lucky, when I played my coaches didn't even let me throw a curve ball and I even think it was a league rule until you were like 15.

It didn't stop me from blowing my arm, but that happened because of overuse, I always felt I could throw and I threw way too much, considering I basically played year around in many leagues.

Still, once I got to the higher leagues where you would travel and such, I'd run probably 5 miles every other day. I'm trying to get back into that groove now, just for the sake of staying in real good shape.

i remember a scout once said that they feared a pitcher coming out of college, b/c the coaches had a tendency to overuse the pitchers. still that has nothing to do with the mechniacs.

The biggest two problems with pitchers coming out of college is that they are overused and that they no longer throw inside.

In college, where you use alumnium bats, pitchers can't throw inside and if they do the ball will get hammered. Jams shots off aluminum bats get crushed and their is just no way to pitch inside, you just have to live on the outside and some pitchers can't make the adjustment to throwing inside.

Not a huge deal, but its tough to judge pitchers when they are going to have to change their complete style when they switch to the majors, where you got to pitch inside for sucess.