Maggs

dasox24

Hey guys! I haven't been able to post since back in August, but it feels good to have some time to do so. I'm in school right now and it's crazy. School take up a ton of my time. Anyway, I see that there are some rumors regarding Maggs being traded. I really don't want to spend the time reading all the posts about this topic, so I was hoping that someone could give me a rundown of what teams Maggs might be traded for and who might he be traded for. thanks.

Dasox,

Many teams are tying desperately to dump the high contracts. The market is more of a "sellers" market right now, meaning that the salaries should start taking a small downward turn on the old graph.

That being said, I think that only one or two teams would even consider taking on Maggs and his 14 million albatross, er, I mean contract.

The Yankees have a bottomless bank vault (or so it seems), and one of their huge weaknesses is right field. So that is one possibility.

The other possibility is San Diego. They are going to move into a kickass new stadium, and they've sold an ungodly amout of season tickets already, and have some new found wealth to spend.

Other than that, I can't see any other team taking on a 14 million per year contract .

And good luck in school!

The main rumor from New York is Maggs and Cotts for Soriano and Johnson. I don't wanna give up Cotts, but if we can giv up say a Felix Diaz or Pacheco instead then I'm all for makin that deal. But that'll only happen if KW can't ship Billy Koch of to the Mets and Paul Konerko to the Dodgers or O's. With Shawn Green now willing to play 1st, the chances of Konerko gettin dealt r even smaller, especially when there's rumors of the Brwers dealin Richie Sexson who's a stud just cos of his contract ending in 2004 of $8.25 milliion I think.

The main rumor from New York is Maggs and Cotts for Soriano and Johnson.

I have not heard that rumor anywhere but on a message board. I think that is more speculation, than rumor. There has been nothing to substantiate that as being a real possibility.

That said, if that deal were available, I'd take it if I were the Sox.

Hey guys!  I haven't been able to post since back in August, but it feels good to have some time to do so.  I'm in school right now and it's crazy.  School take up a ton of my time.  Anyway, I see that there are some rumors regarding Maggs being traded.  I really don't want to spend the time reading all the posts about this topic, so I was hoping that someone could give me a rundown of what teams Maggs might be traded for and who might he be traded for.  thanks.

The easiest way to put summarize things with the Maggs talk is this.

The Sox have $49 million tied up in 7 players right now. Thomas is staying. Koch and Konerko are not easily tradeable because of performance/contract issues. The main two possibilities that could be traded to give the Sox enough playoff flexibility are Carlos Lee and Maggs.

Maggs is due to make $14 million this year, likley around 20% of the Sox payroll, give or take a few %. He is also a free agent after this season. Based on that, it seems likely that, if traded to the right team, he could bring the most in terms of a combination of players in return and cash freed up to obtain additional players.

It is all mere speculation at this point. KW has said nothing more than he may have to be creative this offseason to put together a competitive team. He has not said anything specific about Maggs being traded.

But the Sox are looking at a season of paying a guy $14 million in what seems to be a declining market, who may walk next year leaving the Sox with no more than draft picks for compensation. So the end result could be a winner for the Sox to trade him, get talent and cash in return.

Throw in Rauch and NY brass might not die from laughing at this proposal.

The idea of trading both maggs and Cotts for Johnson and Soriano is bad enough, but when you consider throwing in Rausch besides then it is simply the Sox getting ripped again. It seems that every time a trade rumor or idea surfaces here the Sox are giving up a ton of talent and getting little more than even steven out of it if they are lucky. Now if you said Billy Koch or Paul Konerko for Johnson I might think that was ok, but not two great pitching prospects and a super star for Soriano and Johnson. I don't see the Maggs thing happening anyway.

The idea of trading both maggs and Cotts for Johnson and Soriano is bad enough, but when you consider throwing in Rausch besides then it is simply the Sox getting ripped again. It seems that every time a trade rumor or idea surfaces here the Sox are giving up a ton of talent and getting little more than even steven out of it if they are lucky. Now if you said Billy Koch or Paul Konerko for Johnson I might think that was ok, but not two great pitching prospects and a super star for Soriano and Johnson. I don't see the Maggs thing happening anyway.

Yeah, what a ripoff:

Sox get an All Star and IMO a future HOFer (wait until he fills out and gets SZ wise) 25yo Soriano who made nothing in 2003.

Sox also get an OBP machine NJ who can actually play good defense, is also cheap and young. All Star in 2 years.

Yankees get an overpriced 30yo coming off his worst defensive and baserunning year (Maggs gave up on plays more than he did in previous seasons combined), one who couldn't even drive in 100 runs in a hitter's park with Frank and Robbie hitting in front of him....for the price Valdimir Guerrero will be available for.

Cotts is at least a year away from ML, looked overmatched in his big league stint. Rauch's value is significantly lower than it was 3 years ago, face it.

Their (questionable) potential means MUCH more to cash flow-challenged Sox than it does to a team like the Yankees.

I agree with you. Our fans, definitely, dont gibe our players too much value...

Now if you said Billy Koch or Paul Konerko for Johnson I might think that was ok, but not two great pitching prospects and a super star for Soriano and Johnson

If we're talking about 2002 Koch and Konerko, then it's unhappenable, but at least it doesn't insult Yankee intelligence.

NJ is not a FA until 2007, people.