Worst and Best Trades

JoshPR

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, what an anology. veeck to the bible. That takes some skill, my man, rock on.  :headbang

but please don't miss the 19th century Geman and French literature and operatic allusions in this thread between brandofan and me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

by cwsox: And for the literary minded, read or see Faust (isn't it currently at the Lyric?), or Mephistopholes, or Faustus, or Mephisto (available on video if not on dvd) or something, and check out what happens to the seller of one's soul.

by brandofan: Goethe had no way of knowing what would happen if Cubs win the World Series before the Sox do.

cwsox responds:  but Gounod and Bioto did!

and brandofan ejaculated:  I knew you would do it as soon as I pressed 'add reply'...BASTARDO!!!

Biblical allusions, operatic allusions, 19th century German and French lit allusions - all par for the course here at soxtalk! we be educated! :headbang :headbang :lol:

Hey cwsox, what trades in the Veeck 70's era are you talking about? I'll give you that the 60's Sox trades really hurt, but who did we trade away in the 70's? I know about Goose-Forster for Zisk, but we would have lost those guys anyway, just like we did Zisk. That trade was the foundation for the 77 Hitmen, which was one of the funnest Sox seasons ever. The team he left for the JR-EE regime had some pretty good young players on it that helped set up the '83 team.

As for Veeck gutting the Browns, that team never had anything to gut. In fact, and this is scary now that I think of it, the Browns situation with the Cardinals reminds me of the current Sox-Cubs predicament.

Worst trades:

any trade Veeck made in 59, the 60s, and 70s, since he consistently traded away our future to save a few bucks and he costs us many pennants.

best trade: any made by Trader Laine in the 50s pre Veeck.

really best trade - the little one that was made between the cubs and Sox that got Luke Appling to the south side when he headed north thinking he was going to the north side

That sums up Sox trading as well as anybody can. Lane got Billy Pierce, Nellie Fox, Minnie Minoso and Sherm Lollar for next to nothing. In recent years KW has managed to make the worst trade of the year two years running. Todd Ritchie followed up by Billy Koch. That's badder than bad. And I don't mean good.

I also totally agree on the Sosa thing. He did next to nothing for us. Fate and karma or whatever you want to call it mean for him to be a cub. I don't miss him and his bunny hop one damn bit. In time he and some other "superstars" of his era will be remembered in infamy. Sammy better have the state of the art designer roids now, because the heat is finally on.

Lots of bad trades over the years, but some excellent ones too, believe it or not.

Worst:

1. Johnny Callison for Gene Freese.

2. Norm Cash and John Romano for Minnie Minoso

3. Earl Battey and Don Mincher for Roy Sievers

These three trades wrecked the farm system and set the White Sox back several

years. Veeck's roll of the dice for 1960 came up snake eyes and the team did

not recover. They had traded all their best prospects, who went on to stardom with

other teams. The Sox, meanwhile, were forced to keep trading year after year to

fill gapping holes. The prospects could have come in handy around 1964-67, when

the team was in desperate need of hitting. Veeck blew it.

Other bad trades:

Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon. Jose beat Roger Clemens twice in 1986 (when

Clemens went 24-4) and faded, while Bonilla played for several 1st place Pitts-

burgh teams and helped the 1997 Marlins win the World Series.

Release of Denny McLain is a tough call. It was bad because they could have used

him in 1967-69, but he later got involved with gamblers and was suspended from

baseball. Toss up.

Sammy Sosa for George Bell. The only comfort I can take with this one is that

the insanely arrogant, narrcisscistic Cub fans who gloat about this one are un-

aware of their teams own sorry trading history. But this one stunk. Sosa is an

international icon and has made the Cubs lovable, lovable, lovable. Millions of

people flock to Wrigley to see him. Granted, attendance doesn't win champion-

ships, but maybe if we had him, they'd all come to Comiskey to see him play

and the Sox would be top dog. Then again, if he were still with the Sox, he would

be derided as a wife-beating, cheating, egomaniacal steroid abuser. Jay Mariotti

would going on "Operation Run the Wife-beater Out of Town: Year 13" and up

his quota to three feverish articles per week and 100 late-night phone calls.

Still, what might have been.

Purchase of Chick Gandil from the Cleveland Indians. Not a trade, but certainly

one of the WORST deals in White Sox history. Gandil, of course, was the ring-

leader of the Black Sox scandal. In fact, I could site any deal that brought one

of the Evil Eight to the team, including the purchase of Claude "Lefty the Bagman"

Williams form the San Francisco Seals. Lefty used to deliver payoff money to

Seal teammates who had gone in the tank, according to Rich Lindberg. Of course,

you'll never hear that from Eliot Asinof, John Sayles, the Burns brothers, Boob

Costas or anybody else who has sanctified the actions of those crooks.

Best Trades:

1. Aaron Robinson for Billy Pierce

2. Joe Tipton for Nellie Fox

3. Gus Zernial, et. al. for Minnie Minoso

these trades acquired the three men who were the heart and soul of the Go-Go

Sox and helped revive a moribund franchise.

Tommy John for Dick Allen. I agree with a poster who stated that this trade also

revitalized the team when it badly needed it.

Highly excellent post.

that was one of the best trades ever

whatever Sosa was he was not one of us

and whatever his numbers we did not need sterioid boy egomaniac Mr Selfish corkek bat on our team.

so he hit some big numbers.

we did not sell our soul to the devil as the cubs have to have that Anti-team player on ther roster.

Hey cw, just the other day I remembered a saying I had about SamME on the other boards, and I hate to bring it up myself, but I think I should.

I think it was something like "We know what Sammy Sosa is like, and we know what we like, and Sammy Sosa is not something we like." Just a bit of my personal pride and I remembered it when seeing this thread and Sosa talk come up.