Places to go near the ballpark

Guest JimH

I was reading an interesting thread on anther board about places to go before and after the games in Bridgeport. Thought I'd list my Top 10 and a commentary on each.

Normally, we like to tailgate and bring in sandwiches from a local establishment, with our own choice of beer ... usually something a little different, like Little Kings, Huber, Point. Something quaffable. Anyway, here is my Top 10, not necessarily in order of preference.

1). Schallers Pump, 37th and Halsted. The oldest saloon in the city, MGD on tap, I think it's $6.50 a pitcher. Absolutely GREAT hamburgers, although if they're really busy before a game, you might have to wait a bit. No matter, enjoy the atmosphere, the old south side ambiance, and be sure to look for the peephole on the south door, where they used to check and see if you were "ok" to be let in during Prohibition.

2). Tacos Erindera, on 35th St. just east of Halsted. Order a regular chicken, pork stew, or steak burrito and taste authentic Mexican food. The burritos are $3.25 and are a meal in themselves. Great tacos too. They make them to order, you're in and out fast. No beer. Terrific tailgate food. Their chips are the best.

3). Ricobene's, 26th and Wells. Another south side gem. This is the original, they have 3-4 others around the city. Love that breaded steak sandwich, eggplant sandwich, chicken vesuvio sandwich, and their pizza is very, very good. Michelob on draft, $7 a pitcher. Very interesting pictures all over the walls, and you're very safe in there, tons of police at all times of day.

4). Lindy's, Archer and Western. Since 1924. Can't beat the chili or the hamburgers. Rolling Rock on draft, wow. You can get in and out quick.

5). Freddy's, 31st and Union. Gargantuan sandwiches, the breaded steak is quite good, although I prefer Ricobene's. You will not leave Freddy's hungry.

6). Bertucci's Corner, 24th and Princeton, near Chinatown. A sit down Italian place, since 1934. They have a dish there called Linguini Bush, it's linguinie with mushrooms, chopped tomoatos, and garlic, in a light sauce. At lunch it's $6, a great bargain. Their sausage is fantastic. The best part is the waitresses who've been there forever and they ask in their south side accent, "You want Zaaaaz-ijj wid dat linguinie??" Highly recommended.

7). Puffers, 33rd and Halsted on the west side of the street. A bar with some real interesting characters. Some interesting beer on tap. No food, but a good spot to knock back a few.

8). Pancho Pistoles, 31st and Union, across from Freddy's. They've done a great job with this place, it's sit down Mexican but you can get food to go. Good margaritas, food is very good, and they just added a new upstairs dining room. There's also a small patio area, you can sit outside if you like the ambiance of 31st and Union traffic. Added bonus: very nice and very cute waitresses.

9). Jimbo's, just north of the ballpark. There's always a crowd in there after a game. That's the appeal, you'll always run into someone. They gouge on the beer though. I've found it's a different price in the winter and then it's $1.50 or so higher during the summer when there's a game. I have a problem with that, but it's a decent place and close to the park.

10). Redwoods Lounge, 32nd and Wallace. Just a bar, nothing on tap, a real neighborhood place, the hours are whenever they feel like opening. This is where you'll find the guys who've been Sox fans for 50, 60 years. Great guys from the neighborhood who went to St. Anthony's for grade school and still get their hair cut at Vince's, 28th and Wallace. A slice of real Bridgeport, a "how ya doin"" place.

There's my 10. Many, many honorable mentions, including King Wah in Chinatown, The Parthenon in Greektown, Cobbblestone's on 39th St. and more.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if my family's place still existed I would list that as the #1 place (we had the best sandwiches in the neighborhood and that isn't bias talking), but we called it quits after 30 years.

Instead, I'll add Gio's, the deli/restaurant that is at our old location, 27th and Lowe. Their sandwiches are okay, but the dishes are pretty damn good, and that's coming from me, a guy who eats pasta with homemade sauce every night. only prob is the prices, don't expect a deal.

Great list, Jim. I've only made about half of those places, so I'll have my work cut out for me when I come in for the Cubs and Twins series' in June. I had never noticed the price gouging at jimbo's, but then again I was never there when it wasn't baseball season.

Post game tradition I have enjoyed the last couple years is going to an outstanding hotdog stand called fat Johnnie's on 72nd Western on the way back to my family's place from day games, or getting some Harold's takeout if it's a night game. Mmmm mmm.

I will add one that has the best breaded steak. La Milanese on 32nd and May st. It isn't as close to the park, but it is worth the trip. I lived just a few blocks from there for about 20 years or so.

Yes, La Milanese, excellent. They are good.

It seems every time I think about going there, they're either closed, on vacation, etc. They're definitely not open on Sundays and on Saturdays not until 5 p.m. or so.

But anything they make there is really good.

My family's place was Scalise Deli. since 27th and Lowe is tucked way in a residential area, like La Malinase, it never got a lot of attention from people outside the neighborhood. we were known for our sandwiches, from steak, to chicken, to beef, to sausage, to eggplant. we also had daily specials like pasta f**ioli (mon.), arancinni (tue.), panzarotti (wed), spezzantino (thu.) and pasta (fri.) pardon me for the spelling, it's been awhile since I had to spell those words.

apparently the grandmother is getting really sick. like our place, it has been run by a family. running a restaurant business is hard damn work, after awhile you have to call it quites, or do what Ricobenes did and expand while lessening the quality of your food. people still go there though, but from what I've always heard, it isn't the same as it once used to be.

Scalise's, that's right, I've been in there several times. You are right, excellent sandwiches. My aunt liked it better when your family had it.

Gio's has a two-for-one coupon in the Entertainment Book, so they're trying to get people from outside the neighborhood to try it.

I remember going to the OLD Hickory Pit when it was at 28th and Union. From time to time I see one of dad's old friends Nick Spatta walking in there, as it's the St. Joseph's Club now.

My family's place was Scalise Deli. since 27th and Lowe is tucked way in a residential area, like La Malinase, it never got a lot of attention from people outside the neighborhood. we were known for our sandwiches, from steak, to chicken, to beef, to sausage, to eggplant.  we also had daily specials like pasta f**ioli (mon.), arancinni (tue.), panzarotti (wed),  spezzantino (thu.) and pasta (fri.)  pardon me for the spelling, it's been awhile since I had to spell those words.

Sounds Italian to me......

Gio's is different then ours. we focused more on sandwiches, while they added more tables and spiced up the place a bit, making it more like a sit-down restaurant.

from teh sandwich standpoint, people haven't been too happy, but they are doing REALLY good because of their pastas.

you used to stop there Jim? You may have seen me then, short, skinny dorky looking kid with glasses, lol.

what is your name, if you don't mind me asking? I remember the Hickory Pit, not the old one, though. Nick Spatta rings a bell. I can't picture his face, but his name is very familiar.

If you like fried fish, there are two places not far from the park, one is the Chicago Shrimp House, on 31st St. east of Canal a few blocks, or there is Lawrence Fisheries, which is fried fish heaven, it's at Canal St. and the Chicago River bridge. I think Lawrence is open late hours too.

Another saloon that's been there forever is Boston Tavern, just off the corner of 26th and Canal. Right next to it used to be Sara's Steaks, hands down the best breaded steak sandwich, closed a long time ago. Boston Tavern is a quiet little place, everyone minds their business. I think they serve some sandwiches in there but don't really know. Nothing on tap, but the beer is cold, fresh, and good.

I believe it's been there since 1938.

There is another old tavern on 26th St. between Emerald and Union and it's one of the few in Bridgeport that I've never been in. Molto?

I think I know what place you're talking about, but I don't know the name, I know the owner.

Yea.. so? Big flippin deal..? Who do you think you are... some kind of big shot cause you know someone...?? :lol: :D

I'm sorry Mo.. I just had to. ;)

My family's place was Scalise Deli. since 27th and Lowe is tucked way in a residential area, like La Malinase, it never got a lot of attention from people outside the neighborhood. we were known for our sandwiches, from steak, to chicken, to beef, to sausage, to eggplant.  we also had daily specials like pasta f**ioli (mon.), arancinni (tue.), panzarotti (wed),  spezzantino (thu.) and pasta (fri.)  pardon me for the spelling, it's been awhile since I had to spell those words.

Yeah, I REALLY DOUBT that it's spelled "pasta"!!!!

:bang

Ah, talking about the nieghborhood digs.

Pancho's is good--the carne asada is the best steak on the southside. The waitresses are very cute, too--there is some sort of Latvian pipeline where they come to the UIC for a year and all work at Pancho's. Seeing the endless streak of tall, attractive 21 year olds has bumped the Baltic republics way up on my "to visit" list. I'd avoid the margaritas.

For breakfast, there is a great Mexican place on 35th (I forget the name), a block west of Halstead. It's right next door to the Bridgeport Cafe (hint: DON'T GO THERE--WORST FOOD EVER.) Get the migas. Another good breakfast place is the Ramova Grill on Halstead between 35th and 37th. Nice 50s-style diner. It's a favorite of the artists around the southside, so expect a surprisingly trendy crowd.

For something fancier, Franco's on 31st (just west of the Dan Ryan) has decent high end Italian. It's more of a northern place, though, so don't expect your typical spaghetti. Also, it's not cheap--but the wine list is pretty reasonably priced.

Obviously, go to Morrie's if you can. It's on 35th and Union. The hot dogs are only so-so, but everything else is pretty good.

As for bars, for a real taste of Bridgeport, try Shinnick's on 38th and Union. It's the epitome of a Bridgeport hangout. Just park on the right side of the street, because if you park on the left, you'll probably be taking my space. Also, say hello to the black and white dog in the window of the house next door. She's friendly and enjoys the company.

This ENTIRE thread is proof that the Chicago media is either racist or lazy to insinuate that there's no good restaurants or bars around USCF.

I would say more snobby than lazy or racist. Face it--your average Chicago media type comes from an educated, upper middle class background (as do I, by the way). They know what they like, or liked--meat market places like HiTops or the Cubby Bear. They certainly don't (or didn't) like cheap greasy spoon places or quiet neighborhood watering holes. Thus, because those are what dominate the southside, they don't get covered very well.

It's actually kind of ironic--I NEVER go to the type of places that they like on the northside.* If I want Mexican, I do Pilsen or Bridgeport. If I want Chinese, I'll go to Chinatown. Italian? Little Italy. Indian? West Devon. Steaks? I'll go to a good butcher and grill my own.

* One exception--there is a good Ethiopian place on Clark, just down the street from Wrigley. I'll go there.

This ENTIRE thread is proof that the Chicago media is either racist or lazy to insinuate that there's no good restaurants or bars around USCF.

I would personally go with "lazy"...

Statement of the year, I couldn't agree with you more.

Shinnick's ... wow. Jim Schaller used to tend bar there, lots of police, firemen, neighborhood folks in there. Nice place and wow, it's gets hoppin' in there on certain nights. Some very attractive younger women in there.

The Mexican place just west of 35th, next to Gordon Realty is I think called La Mexicana but I could be wrong. It's very good though, I like the enchiladas but if I had a choice it'd be Tacos Erindera.

You are right about the Latvian connection at Pancho's, and I know EXACTLY the one you're talking about. She is a stunner, takes her a while to warm up but my buddy and I had an off and on two hour chat with her one night when they weren't so busy. She is direct from Latvia, been here about a year or so.

Ramova Grill ... chili.

I agree on Franco's, good food but definitely not a bargain. O'Malley's, I just can't warm up to that place. I think what they charge for a mediocre hot dog is over the top.

At that vacant corner at 35th and Halsted, there will be a new development with condos and retail, and the main tenant will be a Gale Street Inn restaurant. That'll be a nice addition.

The Catchers Inn is another place I could never warm up to. I've been in lots of saloons that need a good cleaning, but that place is on the wrong side of "dump".

What's really needed is a good sports bar kind of place ... a joint that serves pitchers of beer, bar food, nachos, etc. and has a good beer selection. I would even settle for a "chain" place. In Arizona they have these places called Famous Sam's and it's a chain of sports bars. That's what we need, one of those on the south side. I'd rather an independent but I don't see that happening.

* One exception--there is a good Ethiopian place on Clark, just down the street from Wrigley.  I'll go there.

Mama Desta's Red Sea, I think it's called.

No Ethiopian joints in Bridgeport?? :lol: