New contract for Thomas??

Steff

Has anyone heard anything about a new deal for Frank? 4 years / $22 or $25 million?

Someone I know down in AZ, who is usually pretty on the money with "rumors" said whispers of this is floating around. HSC, have you heard anything about negotiations? I was pretty sure that things were just going to stay as they were regarding his contract.

His contract right now is a 1-year deal worth $5 mill with a $1 mill loan....and the possibility of earning another $1 mill or so....and then he can either opt out of his deal after this year or stay with the Sox at $6 mill...if he does neither, the Sox can either pick him up at $8 mill or let him go....and that is a mutual option(which I assume I didn't have to tell you)....the Sox and Thomas has 2 more after this year.

The very least amount he can make is $22 million over these 4 years(or $6 mill this year and then he opts out of his deal)...and I believe the very most he can make is about $36-$40 mill or something around that.

4-years, $22 million? It makes sense...but he's not guarenteed to be here for 4-years.

Well, It would be weird for them to renegotiate on the deal so soon, but I guess its a possibility.

The deal he has now, isn't really something I consider a long term option, but more a deal that was done to keep Thomas with the Sox. I think JR will be talking to him to discuss a more permanent contract, but thats the optimist in me.

Thanks for the info Steff, that would be a pretty good deal, imo. It locks Thomas up long term giving him security, while the Sox get him at a good rate if he comes back.

Of course, I think the current deal is pretty solid too, but there are just so many outs and so many ways for it to escalate in pay.

Has anyone heard anything about a new deal for Frank? 4 years / $22 or $25 million?

Someone I know down in AZ, who is usually pretty on the money with "rumors" said whispers of this is floating around. HSC, have you heard anything about negotiations? I was pretty sure that things were just going to stay as they were regarding his contract.

If that's true, Frank sure fire his agent on the spot. He had a four year deal for $40 million (although a lot was deferred). I for one don't understand why he didn't just stick with that. But even under the new deal he signed in December, he's guaranteed at least $22 million with the possibility of making much more. Why would he now agree to tear that up and sign for $22 or $25 million? He would essentially have negotiated himself from a $40 million guaranteed contract to a $22 to $25 million guaranteed contract over the course of a few months. That would be nuts.

If that's true, Frank sure fire his agent on the spot. He had a four year deal for $40 million (although a lot was deferred). I for one don't understand why he didn't just stick with that. But even under the new deal he signed in December, he's guaranteed at least $22 million with the possibility of making much more. Why would he now agree to tear that up and sign for $22 or $25 million? He would essentially have negotiated himself from a $40 million guaranteed contract to a $22 to $25 million guaranteed contract over the course of a few months. That would be nuts.

You know I never understood this either. If I were Frank I would have stuck with the 40 mil guaranteed. :huh:

Also, I don't think there is anyway his contract is getting renegotiated at this point. I forget the exact terms of the contract but at some point, either next year or the year after, he gets to talk to other teams again. If he is tearing it up at that point and starts making noise about going elsewhere JR might force KW to get something done.

Haven't heard anything about it..... but as to why Thomas may take a 22-25 million dollar deal now as opposed to the 40 deferred..... DIVORCE! :D Still..... doesn't make sense.

But JR dealing with Thomas exclusively without KW's involvement wouldn't surprise me. KW wants Big Hurt out but Big Hurt is JR's guy.

1. Why would the Sox want to renegotiate Frank's contract? Frank won't give up anything more.

2. What is this old rumor about Frank having been pursued by the Dodgers? I never heard it the first time around. Must have happened before I saw this web site.

3. Did Frank ever sell his house?

4. Did Frank's divorce ever become final?

1.  Why would the Sox want to renegotiate Frank's contract?  Frank won't give up anything more.

2.  What is this old rumor about Frank having been pursued by the Dodgers?  I never heard it the first time around.  Must have happened before I saw this web site.

3.  Did Frank ever sell his house?

4.  Did Frank's divorce ever become final?

1. I don't think it would be about giving up anything. More about stability.

2. Never heard this one.

3. Nope

4. Yep

2.  What is this old rumor about Frank having been pursued by the Dodgers?  I never heard it the first time around.  Must have happened before I saw this web site.

Frank met with Evans the week precediing his signing thr re-done deal with the Sox. That much is fact, Frank met with the LA GM.

There have been reports that LA offered a slight tad tiny bit more than the WS contract with Frank but Frank opted to stay with the WS. That is what I have heard but I am not vouching for that.

All I know for sure is that Frank met with Evans and explored Frank going to the Dodgers.

Guest hotsoxchick1

steff..... i have not heard of such a deal .. in the works or otherwise.... i think it was whitesoxfan who put the deal, as it is now, out there for you to read..... frank had a loan of 1 mil.. i suppose for tax purposes and stuff to do with his divorce and such.....but as his deal stands now it leaves him alot of wiggle room to go hang with evans in LA when hes ready to go..........ill keep my ears peeled for a new deal talk but i highly doubt that there will be a contract offering him long term, espically since kw wants him gone, gone, gone...and if frank faulters one way or another im sure kw will be in jr's office screaming for his dismissal.........jr did all the negoations for this deal.. and im sure he will be doing any more in the future or whatever else concerns frank.....kw and frank do not play nice together........

If I we're in charge, I wouldn't do another deal with him. If he has a poor year, you can get him back next year at a cheap price. If he has a good year, he walks and you've freed up money. I don't want to lock into four years, when we're not sure what he'll do in one year, nevermind four.