Kenny Williams Q and A

Guest wsc425

Q: Sox fans will be flocking to this weekend's SoxFest at the downtown Hyatt. Are you enthused about your team's possibilities after acquiring Bartolo Colon and Billy Koch?

A: Whenever you go into a baseball season and you have hope, realistic hope...well, I can't wait to get to spring training. But I am never pleased. It always can be better. Even if we are so forunate to be lights out at the beginning of the season, we are still to be churning away back in our offices, trying to find ways to get better.

Q: Have you spoken recently to Frank THomas and are you confortable he will reflect more team spirit this season?

A: i talked to him the other day. We all have learned that the teams that are divided are the teamsthat generally find themselves that go home in October. I think Frank very much understands. He had a tough time early in this offseason dealing with some of the off-season moves, but he seems to be fine now.

Q: At one low point last July, you felt compelled to announce that Jerry Manuel would remain the manager for the remainder of the season and this year. Did you feel as if you had to take the pressure off Jerry?

A: I would have prefered not to have had to do that. But rumors had escelated to where it was a distraction. I am not going to make any declarations, people take that to mean something it is not.

Q: At 38, you are the thired-youngest general manager in baseball. What have you learned in terms of dealing with the stress of being a GM?

A: I enjoy what I do. Please, let's get a grip and perspective of this. I generally manage a baseball team. Yes, I take that very seriously. But I don't take myself to seriously. The only thing you can control is what you think looks good on paper and hope it can translate onto the field. It's all about the players and how they do.

Q: You have a reputation of being a hands-on general manager, interacting with players, coaches and manager al most daily at home and on the road. Do you plan to continue that approach?

A: That reputation is greatly exaggerated. I get in the locker room to have a conversation to see that we are on the same page. The same way with any of the coaches' needs and concerns. I may stay out to watch batting practiceand I may not. One thing people have to understand, I was player development director and most of the players on our team came up our system. No one else in the organization can say that. We draw upon what our experiences are to get them over the hurdle. It's hands-on to that degree.

Q: Many in the media have been harsh on you becuase of some deals that didn't pan out. Has your skin toughened over the past couple of years?

A: Seems like everybody is blaming the media for everything. But they don't write anything where there isn't some truth to it. Always pointing the finger at the media is getting old. I have had the benefit of being in Chicago for 17 years. So I understand how tough the media can be-particularly on sports executives. Yes, I have gotten a little tougher. I am not too busy to listen to some of the things that are written and said. That doesn't mean I pay attention to them.

Fred Mitchell on Kenny Williams every one...Sighs that was long...couldn't find the link.

Good interview.

I think Williams is a very smart guy, and a 38 he's still got a lot of growing up to do, but to me he seems to be figuring things out. I know I'll take shots for this and I'm not going to call him GM of the year or anything like that, but I still believe he could turn into a real special and talented gm.

I also KNOW that he's much better then Dan Evans. If KW is sucessful, he could be here for a very very long time. The key is, the Sox will have to spend money, he'll still have a lot of growing to do, and the fans eventually are going to have to show up if this team keeps winning the next COUPLE of years.

Hopefully, KW is being honest in this, and I think he is. I like what he said about the media. He has pretty much admitted his mistakes, something few general managers do. Thats a trait I really like because we don't have to be stuck with someone that just doesn't fit too long. Yes, he held onto Royce too long, but he admitted it was a mistake. With Ritchie, he gave up on him admitting that mistake.

Still, KW and JR have a lot left to do until I'll believe they are constantly going to be thinking with this new train of thought I've seen so far this offseason. I believe KW is very willing to spend money, but its up to the owner to give him the ok.

is this transcript word for word??...he sounds illiterate..

"We all have learned that the teams that are divided are the teamsthat generally find themselves that go home in October. "..huh???

". I am not going to make any declarations, people take that to mean something it is not."...again , huh???

"I enjoy what I do. Please, let's get a grip and perspective of this. I generally manage a baseball team"...of this??...generally manage???

"That reputation is greatly exaggerated. I get in the locker room to have a conversation to see that we are on the same page. The same way with any of the coaches' needs and concerns. I may stay out to watch batting practiceand I may not. One thing people have to understand, I was player development director and most of the players on our team came up our system. No one else in the organization can say that. We draw upon what our experiences are to get them over the hurdle. It's hands-on to that degree."...this whole paragraph makes no sense at all...

"I am not too busy to listen to some of the things that are written and said. That doesn't mean I pay attention to them."..if you are listening then you must be paying attention...

kenny williams..the great communicator!!!

Illiterate? Baggs, I'm not following you. As I read that Q&A session, I understood what was being said. I never had any question about what KW was saying. In fact, I was impressed that he didn't jump on the opportunity to blame the media, when that opportunity was presented. What you say makes no sense, makes perfect sense to me.

Illiterate? Baggs, I'm not following you.  As I read that Q&A session, I understood what was being said.  I never had any question about what KW was saying.  In fact, I was impressed that he didn't jump on the opportunity to blame the media, when that opportunity was presented.  What you say makes no sense, makes perfect sense to me.

i though i laid it out in my response...if you understood it maybe you could dumb it down for me...because i honestly cant understand what the hell he is trying to say...

thats why i asked if this was a word for word transcript..because normally he doesnt come off this messed up

all i know is that kw did ok. he really didn't duck anything, but he does have a temper. you can read it when he said about getting a grip etc....

one thing i did notice is he uses a alot of distraction in not answering the question but hedge around the question. you will see this in the question;

Q: You have a reputation of being a hands-on general manager, interacting with players, coaches and manager al most daily at home and on the road. Do you plan to continue that approach?

A: That reputation is greatly exaggerated. I get in the locker room to have a conversation to see that we are on the same page. The same way with any of the coaches' needs and concerns. I may stay out to watch batting practiceand I may not. One thing people have to understand, I was player development director and most of the players on our team came up our system. No one else in the organization can say that. We draw upon what our experiences are to get them over the hurdle. It's hands-on to that degree

he really never answered the question.

Guest hotsoxchick1
all i know is that kw did ok. he really didn't duck anything, but he does have a temper. you can read it when he said about getting a grip etc....

one thing i did notice is he uses a alot of distraction in not answering the question but hedge around the question. you will see this in the question;

A: That reputation is greatly exaggerated. I get in the locker room to have a conversation to see that we are on the same page. The same way with any of the coaches' needs and concerns. I may stay out to watch batting practiceand I may not. One thing people have to understand, I was player development director and most of the players on our team came up our system. No one else in the organization can say that. We draw upon what our experiences are to get them over the hurdle. It's hands-on to that degree

he really never answered the question.

lol thats because that answer is greatly exaggerated.. kw has his hands up everyones butts when it comes to how he deals with the team, coaches, and anyone else who steps in the locker room and is on the payroll... im surprised he doesnt tell the grounds keepers how to do the lawn............lol..........thats our kw .. skirt the answers best he can........... :D