Commentary: Tarnished Legacy Now in the Past

Chisoxfn

I for one will miss the park being called Comiskey. I can't fault the Sox for the move and it's good business to rennovate and make it more "fan friendly". I have never had the opportunity to see a Sox game in new Comiskey. I did see a game at the old ball pak and I guess I can agree that's the place where we should really associate the name Comiskey Park. I was in awe of the stadium when I was there in 1987. The new park is more like Comiskey II- not really the same. Some say the legacy of 1919 is now dead, but heck I wasn't alive in 1919 and never though anything negative about the Sox teams I grew up with or even associated them with 1919. Call the park whatever you want, it really doesn't matter because in my opinion it will always be Comiskey Park in our hearts. The main thing is we have a winning ball club and a fun season. I think we will and that's what I am sure all Sox fans want too.

My favorite part about this contract is how its the first corporate deal structured to the point that the owner can't pocket the money or say he spent it on players.

He has to use the money towards renovating the stadium, which assures sox fans that the park will look a lot different in the coming years. I wonder what the plans will be for this offseason and the next, cause once 2005 roles around, they will be done.

Homer porch, redone upper deck; What else?

A month or two ago, they had a picture of what the stadium would look like and it had this sweet homer porch in left(I think; maybe it was right). They also had all this other stuff and the park was looking sweet.

Like a day later they pulled those images and went with other ones. They have wanted to build one for a while, but never have been able to because JR said they needed a corporate sponsor. Now that they have one, I expect one to be built.

I'm assuming they'll announce plans in a while for next years changes.

Having been in the 4th grade the last time the White Sox made it to the WS, I guess I qualify as an old timer or an ancient old fart depending on your perspective. I always get misty eyed and nostalgic when thinking about the old Comiskey where I saw countless ball games. After thinking this whole thing over I can't criticize this move. The Sox have to spend the dough on the park. US Cellular is a Chicago company isn't it? Jobs are especially important in this lousy economy. The CEO grew up in the Little Flower parish on the South Side and says he's a life long Sox fan. Times change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not but you can't be totally locked in to the past. I'm looking forward to seeing the park improvements and this has to be looked at as a positive venture for all concerned.

Hi,

I have not posted on this site for quite some time and I am glad to see that it has been revived. The last few times last year I visited it seemed not to get updated to often. This has always been my favorite site, Mario (I met you once) I praise you for getting this site back on track! My feelings on the new agreement are simple. I agree that the only Comiskey Park was torn down 12 years ago or so. I also am a vendor for the White Sox and I deal regularly with the purchasing manager. He has told me that If they ever got a sponser (a year ago or so when Houshold Finance was rumered) that there would in fact be great changes such as a Home Run Porch in Right Field and additional work in the upper deck as we all know. I really believe that they want to make the ball park a great place to come for a game. But I got to be Honest here I already know that. I have sat in the "worst seats" and there is still nothing like that place.

Hi,

I have not posted on this site for quite some time and I am glad to see that it has been revived.  The last few times last year I visited it seemed not to get updated to often.  This has always been my favorite site, Mario (I met you once) I praise you for getting this site back on track!  My feelings on the new agreement are simple.  I agree that the only Comiskey Park was torn down 12 years ago or so.  I also am a vendor for the White Sox and I deal regularly with the purchasing manager.  He has told me that If they ever got a sponser (a year ago or so when Houshold Finance was rumered) that there would in fact be great changes such as a Home Run Porch in Right Field and additional work in the upper deck as we all know.  I really believe that they want to make the ball park a great place to come for a game.  But I got to be Honest here I already know that.  I have sat in the "worst seats" and there is still nothing like that place.

Thanks for the kind words Tromcoe. Were glad to have you back.

I can't wait to see what they plan on doing this year. I wonder if the homer porch will be this year or the year after.

Man, I haven't been this pumped in an offseason for a while.