Update from Tucson

aboz56

Hello everyone, finally got some access to the computer here in the hotel so I figured I'd update everyone before I head out to TEP for today's tilt against the Diamondbacks.

First off, for anyone who's never been out here, it's worth it just to see the scenery in addition to the nice spring training facility the Sox have.

Now onto what you really want to hear, about the games.

Tuesday I wasn't too impressed with Schoenweis. Had it not been for the Sox hitting, he would have gotten beaten pretty soundly. Garland looked great yesterday. The first inning was somewhat dicey but besides that he threw the ball great. I was somewhat impressed with Shingo too, as he pitched a scoreless inning, as did our hero, William Koch.

Hitting wise Mags and Frank looked in midseason form yesterday, as they both smoked the ball. I talked to Borchard yesterday and he told me that he should be back tomorrow, if everything goes as planned.

Autograph wise I'm making out pretty well, as I've added Thomas, Konerko, Grilli, Sanders, Wright, Borchard, Reed, Burke and Gload to my jersey that I took to Soxfest as well.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more to add about the trip and pictures to share as well, but since I'm on the hotel computer, I've got to go and get ready to head out to the park.

Hope everyone is having a great week.

AB

I was out in Arizona over the weekend and thru Tuesday's game against the Diamondbacks. I saw the Sox play the Brewers on Monday and the Diamonbacks on Tuesday.

I have to agree that I was not very impressed with Schoenweiss. He seems to have good stuff but I don't know if its a lack of concentration or what but much like last year after we acquired him he has stretches where the hitters just seem to be hitting the hell out of the ball off him. I raise the lack of concentration issue because it doesn't seem like a pitcher with the stuff he has should be hit the way he was hit on Tuesday or last year.

Willie Harris had two hits on Tuesday and so did Jeremy Reed. Both good news. One of Harris' hits was a blooper over the second baseman that he turned into a double with his speed.

On Monday, Brian Anderson had a triple which was well hit and he seemed to get around the bases pretty well. With regard to speed, Jeremy Reed seemed to lack it when he was held up at third after a basehit Tuesday afternoon.

Tuesday, Joey Cora made a huge error sending Frank Thomas home on a basehit. Thomas was out by 20 feet.

The White Sox looked great at the plate on Tuesday other than Miguel Olivo who looked plain awful striking out twice. He was utterly clueless against Brandon Webb even though everyone else in the lineup seemed to be hitting Webb well.

Shingo had another poor performance on Monday. Damaso Marte and Kelly Wunsch are still very good.

And, Jim Parque pitched in relief of Brandon Webb for the Diamondbacks on Tuesday. The Sox hit him pretty hard.

The weather was beautiful down there. I highly recommend the trip.

Since it has come up on more than a couple threads this spring, can everyone try to remember something regarding our potential 4th starter:

HE ISN'T THROWING HIS TWO BEST PITCHES AT ALL DURING SPRING GAMES. HE IS TRYING OUT TWO NEW PITCHES, AND THE LEARNING PROCESS CAUSES HIM TO HAVE SOME PRETTY NASTY OUTINGS. THIS HAS BEEN REPORTED IN VIRTUALLY EVERY ARTICLE DONE ON WHITE SOX PITCHERS THIS SPRING.

So, until he warrants the abuse during the regular season(and he very well may do just that), please, I implore you, lay off Mr. Schoenweiss.

That scares me.

If Joey is a new version of Wavin Wally, we are in for a long, long season

Joey needs to see what the guys can do. I would rather he finds out now, than in the playoffs that Frank is big and slow. ;)

Thanks for the updates guys. Until Schoenenweis pitches in a regular game or three I am not sure we will know how effective he is going to be with thse new pitches, or if the experiment was correct. If he falters I hope the Sox don't go to long before finding someone else to step in that spot.

Since it has come up on more than a couple threads this spring, can everyone try to remember something regarding our potential 4th starter:

HE ISN'T THROWING HIS TWO BEST PITCHES AT ALL DURING SPRING GAMES.  HE IS TRYING OUT TWO NEW PITCHES, AND THE LEARNING PROCESS CAUSES HIM TO HAVE SOME PRETTY NASTY OUTINGS.  THIS HAS BEEN REPORTED IN VIRTUALLY EVERY ARTICLE DONE ON WHITE SOX PITCHERS THIS SPRING.

So, until he warrants the abuse during the regular season(and he very well may do just that), please, I implore you, lay off Mr. Schoenweiss.

Actually he said his last outing was the first that he threw all of his pitches. Maybe you could call it rust if you want, but he did go all out in his last outing.

HE ISN'T THROWING HIS TWO BEST PITCHES AT ALL DURING SPRING GAMES.  HE IS TRYING OUT TWO NEW PITCHES, AND THE LEARNING PROCESS CAUSES HIM TO HAVE SOME PRETTY NASTY OUTINGS.  THIS HAS BEEN REPORTED IN VIRTUALLY EVERY ARTICLE DONE ON WHITE SOX PITCHERS THIS SPRING.

Actually this last start was his full repetoire of pitches, I'm still not impressed.

I'll give him one more start before the body slams begin. :P

Actually this last start was his full repetoire of pitches, I'm still not impressed.

I'll give him one more start before the body slams begin.  :P

Can you at least wait until the regular season?

Doesn't Milwaukee have the best record in ST right now? Think anyone is slotting them for a playoff spot this october?

s***, Ab, I think I ran into you yesterday before the game and didn't know it. Were you by any chance at the Sox's dugout before the game Garland pitched? I remember someone who had a jersey that was getting signed by everyone, as well as asking Borchard a question.

If that was you, I was right behind you, sporting my signed Crede jersey.

s***, Ab, I think I ran into you yesterday before the game and didn't know it. Were you by any chance at the Sox's dugout before the game Garland pitched? I remember someone who had a jersey that was getting signed by everyone, as well as asking Borchard a question.

You guys need to get Soxtalk gear so you vcan identify each other. :headbang

I just got back from Tuscon a few minutes ago. I was at last Saturday's and today's game. Buehrle pitched both games and looked great. Uribe impressed me and I hope that he gets the starting spot at second. For all of you that have never been to Tuscon, I recomend going. I had never been there and was very impressed. I stayed at the Tuscon "El Conquistador" and it was an amazing golf and tennis resort in the foothills. It was pricey but amazing. As for autographs, I got Crede, Wunsch, Konerko, Baines, and Sweeney. Not bad for only one day getting there early enough. (My sisters slowed us down and we got there late today)

Hey everyone, just wanted to give you another update before I head out to today's game and then head back to Louisville.

Yesterday's game flew by as Mark pitched and he pitched a great game (besides the Julio Ramirez HR). Uribe, as has been reported by others here, looks to have the nod at 2B barring a major collapse during this last week and a half. He's just a much better hitter than Willie Harris is.

Brian Anderson and Jeremy Reed played in yesterday's game and neither played particularly well, although Reed played a nice CF. Also got to see Ricardo Nanita get into the game, but he grounded out weakly to second base.

Overall, the Sox are 3-0 since I've been out here, so hopefully they'll pick up the win today out at Hi-Corbett Field. Danny Wright will be on the bump, so hopefully the Sox will throw in some more of their regulars so that they have a shot at winning today's game.

I'll be back in Louisville tomorrow afternoon so I hope to upload some pictures for everyone to see at that time and give some more thoughts on the games.

AB

Yea that was me, in fact that is where I am basically at every ST game at TEP, right down by the dugout getting my jersey signed and saying hi or talking to Joe.

Too bad we didn't get formally introduced, but perhaps we'll cross paths this summer at the Cell.

Glad you had a good time out in Tucson though.