Game thread

rafacosta

I would rather have them go get Spivey to start the season, and if that doesnt work, then look to Vidro.

Spivey's makin 3 to 3.5million this year. Brewers are desperate for bullpen help, I wonder if they would take sum1 like Sanders, Ginter or Adkins for Spivey. I don't think we can fit him into our payroll however, and Spivey's not really a leadoff hitter as well. Vidro will prob be a Yankee by the end of the season.

I dont know, I've had Vidro on my fantasy teams the last few years, really like how the guy plays, and the #'s he puts up.

Haha, fantasy is just a little different. More stuff comes into play here. We could get Spivey cheap, as Milwaukee has Ginter and a prospect in Weeks who could play. Spivey was only an AS two seasons ago.

I'm not sure who Juan reminds me of, but personally, I would not say Ray Durham.  Ray Durham proved had very good plate discipline, and is one of the better leadoff hitters in the game due to his all around game offensively.  IIRC, he had something like 72 XBH's in his last full season with Chicago, 2001(something like 20 homers, 42 doubles, and 10 triples...that may be a little off, as it was off of the top of my head, but it is very close to that), he had an OBP of .380-.400, stole 30 bases a year consistently...I mean, plain and simple, he was and still is a great leadoff hitter.  Juan Uribe doesn't have the great plate discipline, and according to his career major league production thus far, he has showed very little power.  However, that could change easily, and maybe all he needed was a change of scenary. 

I do also think he is the starting 2Bman before it is all said and done.  I would guess by June he is.  However, if he is putting up mediocre numbers, I could see a trade of Harris/Uribe and some prospects for Vidro in Montreal.

Here's Durham's 2001 line:

Year  G   AB    R    H   2B 3B  HR  RBI  SB CS  BB  SO   BA   OBP   SLG   TB   SH  SF IBB HBP GDP 
2001 152  611  104  163  42 10  20   65  23 10  64 110  .267  .337  .466  285   6   6   3   4  10

I never thought Durham was a prototypical lead off. 64 walks, 110 K's is not outstanding plate discipline. His OBP wasn't as high as you remember. I always thought Ray-Ray would have been better hitting 6 or 7. But Felipe Alou bats him lead off and I don't pretend to know more about baseball than he does.

Despite my grousing, his numbers are head, shoulders and belly button better that Uribe's. Here is Juan's career line.

Year       G   AB    R    H   2B 3B  HR  RBI  SB CS  BB  SO   BA   OBP   SLG   TB   SH  SF IBB HBP GDP 
3 Seasons 314 1155  146  298  59 21  24  135  19  4  59 235  .258  .298  .408  471  13   7   2  10  26

His numbers sure don't support hitting him 1 (9 maybe). One more reason to watch the games this year to see how they handle him and how he responds.

I was at the game today and Mark looked very good. He was sharp all day long and only gave up the one solo shot. One thing I was surprised to see was 3 of the first 5 or so outs were on the base paths, they should have scored a few more in the first and second innings. In the two games I saw in person, I was very impressed.

I was at the game today and Mark looked very good. He was sharp all day long and only gave up the one solo shot. One thing I was surprised to see was 3 of the first 5 or so outs were on the base paths, they should have scored a few more in the first and second innings. In the two games I saw in person, I was very impressed.

Aboz must be pleased :D

Well, now's the time for Ozzie to find out who can do what while on the basebaths. There's nothing wrong with being over aggresive now.