The bullpen

Bighurt52235

I'm torn between using Glover or White as the long reliever. In 2000, Sean Lowe really did a great job in that slot. White is similar in that notion to Lowe, but Glover has a better upside. For the meantime, I'd use Flash like we use Wunsch, as a situational type pitcher to get him in the swing of things, & if he's impressive, increase his role in the 'pen. Marte is my setup guy in the 8th, & Koch closes it in the 9th.

it must be me because everyone else seems to love glover and his 5 plus era...but i dont see it....yeah he's got a great curv eball...but so did kevin bierne...look what happened to him..i see bierne and glover as very similiar pitchers...this has to be glover's make or break year...if he gets off to a slow start look for him to be replaced by possibly munoz or somebody who is tearing it up at AA or AAA...

i like the make up of our bullpen alot right now..i think rick white is a huge acquaition...here is a guy that has a reputation as being a real hard ass and loves to throw inside...maybe some of that will rub off on glover...

but one thing that bothers me is we arnt deep and we do have a couple guys down there that are injury question marks (gordon , wunsch)..id feel a lot better with one more quality arm added to the mix...that should be a move that happens as the season progesses...when we figure out if that need is a lefty or righty.... a lot of players start becoming available by june once teams that are struggling decide that this might not be their year....

I like this bullpen too. Glover did have a high ERA, but he was effective out of the pen. When he was starting, they'd get to him the second time around the batting order. Used prpoerly, I think he will be effective out of the pen again. Flash is supposed to healthy, and if so he could be a real big pick up. I agree with Baggio on White... I like a guy with a mean streak in him. Wunsch has had a full year to recover, and he should be able to get out that occasional lefty, again. Marte was such a pleasant surprise last year. I hope he can continue to perform at that level. Koch is a known quantity, and he'll be as good as always. As far as depth goes, we have 4 guys competing for the number 5 starter job and we have several kid relievers that should be able to supply plenty depth.

I think Flash Gordon is going to have a huge year this year. I think that he would have been able to save somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 games for a team like the Royals this year (assuming they win that many). I think Marte will be good but may regress just a little bit. I have never been sold on Wunsch. Rick White should be a good addition but I don't think he is suited for the long relievers role...that will be Glover's job.

Bullpen is REALLY stacked, so I wouldn't expect Almonte, Sanders, or Munoz to make the team. If JM does stick with 11 pitchers, you'll probably see:

Koch

Marte

Wunsch

White

Gordon

Glover

It's a shame that Almonte won't make it, because he is ready. Here is a goodbye to Porzio and Ginter.

Bullpen is REALLY stacked, so I wouldn't expect Almonte, Sanders, or Munoz to make the team. If JM does stick with 11 pitchers, you'll probably see:

Koch

Marte

Wunsch

White

Gordon

Glover

It's a shame that Almonte won't make it, because he is ready. Here is a goodbye to Porzio and Ginter.

Yeah it is a shame about Almonte....... i've been rooting for him since his 36 save season down in Bham.

*36 saves was a record........ until Joe Valentine tied it last year.

Jason...you could say Ginter and Porzio as backups....not waiting in the wings though.

You know what....Porzio should be given a shot at the #5 spot in the rotation. He's 31 or 32 and he's never really been given a shot. I atleast want to see if he can have a decent ST....if he does, we should trade him to a team that could use him for practically nothing...just to see if he could have some success. And then maybe we could get some diamond in the rough in the deal....so who knows.