Magglio Ordonez

Guest wsc425

Saturday, February 8

Ordonez wins Big League Challege HR contest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press

LAS VEGAS -- Magglio Ordonez of the Chicago White Sox defeated Pat Burrell of the Philadelphia Phillies 13-12 to win the Big League Home Run Challenge on Saturday.

Ordonez connected on his first swing in the bottom of the seventh inning to win it. Burrell hit three balls out in the top half of the final round.

Ordonez's longest homer was 482 feet. The exhibition was held at Cashman Field, home of Las Vegas' Triple-A team.

Texas star Alex Rodriguez hit the longest ball of the day, a 486-foot shot to straightaway center field.

In the semifinals, Ordonez defeated defending champion Troy Glaus of the Anaheim Angels 15-6.

In the other semifinal, Burrell defeated Albert Pujols of the St. Louis Cardinals 8-2.

Also participating were Rafael Palmeiro of the Rangers, Lance Berkman of the Houston Astros and Brian Giles of the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Proceeds from the event, organized by the players' union, benefited the Players Trust for Children.

I'm quite proud of him.  any word on when they will air these shows?  I think I will keep them in a video tape collection.

i also don't belive that each homer Maggs has over 35 will cost him 5 points to his average, that doesn't make sense to me.

so you want maggs to turn into a homer run hitter???...follow in the footsteps of sham - me???

if he starts to turn on every pitch to try and hit them out he probably will increase his home run total...but his average will also drop...

listening to hawk talk about maggs at soxfest he said maggs is the smartest hitter on the team...he adjusts better then any player on the sox...his only problem comes when he starts to look to drive the ball to LEFT FIELD...then he hits a lot of grounders to SS...

I don't think Maggs will look to hit the long ball....I think he'll start to drive the ball better as he matures....I could most definately see a .345 45 150 season out of Maggs in the future....and a .330 40 140 season from him this year.

I think Hawk is right....Maggs is the smartest hitter on the team. He knows what to do and I don't think that this will slow him down. He's taken place in two home run derbies this offseason, and I'm sure he took place in Carlos Delgado's in years past as well....I think he'll have another great year....no reason he won't.

I'll be pissed if he starts hitting 50-60 homers....but I don't think he will. I think Borchard could do that in the future though.

An interesting note(some good and bad news for White Sox fans)....

Last year's winner, Troy Glaus, had a down year offensively compared to years past...I believe something like .250 30 80 or something like that with 125-150 K's. However, the Angels also won the World Series, and Glaus came up huge in the playoffs, and even took the World Series MVP.

This year, Maggs won it....you don't suppose that all the above will hold true, do you? :huh:

Congrats to our very own Maggs Ordonez. I read the article on him and he talked a lot on the article its on MLB.com. I think he is going to take over our team be the leader he deserves to be.

The home run challenge will air on March 30th I believe.

I really don't belive that hitting homeruns for a day will ruin a guys season.  I truly think that is irrelevant.

I got one name for you....

Paul Konerko.

In the first half, he hit something like .330 20 65....in the second half, he hit about .280 7 30....given, his second half had something to do with his nagging foot injury, but the home run derby did mess up his swing.

I assume Maggs has been in charitable things like this in the past...so I'm not worried. But there is reason for concern there....and you don't have to look any further than 1B for the White Sox in Paul Konerko.

I am pretty sure that the whole reason Paulie's numbers declined in the second half was the nagging foot. Also, regarding Maggs, every time he has had a slow spell where has struggled he always goes back to the basics and straightens himself out and gets back to his good form. He works hard and I really doubt him participating in a charity event is going to kill his season. Atleast those are my thoughts.

I am pretty sure that the whole reason Paulie's numbers declined in the second half was the nagging foot.  Also, regarding Maggs, every time he has had a slow spell where has struggled he always goes back to the basics and straightens himself out and gets back to his good form.  He works hard and I really doubt him participating in a charity event is going to kill his season.  Atleast those are my thoughts.

I agree with the foot injury, but I also do believe that some of it was because you change your swing for the home run derby.

Still, this one took place in the offseason not mid season so I'm assumimg Magglio should have his swing ready to roll for the regular season and he'll have the hole home run champ thing out of his mind.