Perhaps the worst Mariotti column ever

aboz56

Tuomo Ruutu of the Blackhawks has been in America in much less time than Sammy Sosa has, yet Tuomo already speaks English very, very well (He's Finnish.)  Is it correct for me to say that people of different countries have harder/easier times picking up English?

I've lived with Fins and they are taught English a LOT in their schools, so even a Fin with a hs diploma will have a lot of training in the language. The Scandanavian countries are lightyears ahead in that respect. I lived with a Fin for a year abroad, and she barely had an accent--it I didn't know she was Finnish I would have sworn she was American or at least a native speaker.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brando, in your opinion, is it harder for people of different countries to speak English better?

Like what I mean, here's an example:

Tuomo Ruutu of the Blackhawks has been in America in much less time than Sammy Sosa has, yet Tuomo already speaks English very, very well (He's Finnish.)  Is it correct for me to say that people of different countries have harder/easier times picking up English?

If you know how the parts of the brain responsible for learning and communication form and function in children vs. adults, you have the answer to your question.

And yeah, Northern European languages are closer to English on the phonetic scale, in addition to the advanced foreign language carriculum; hence the preponderance of Dutchmen, Sweedes, Finnes etc with very little accent, comparatively. Do you remember Joe Millionaire 2? Where were the four girls with best pronounciation from? Sweden and Netherlands.

Forget about the foreign stuff.....Say, how's your generic Cockney?

I didn't realize Ozzie was saying that much -

oh the bliss sometimes of not having Chicago media -

and I think Ozzie should tone it down vis a vis the north side team

Ozzie only said what a lot of us feel. Frank is a legitimate HOF candidate after 13 years at the highest level but the Chicago papers treat him like he was a bum, perhaps if he were a wife beating cheater they would treat him better. On the other hand, Saint Mark Prior is 24-12 after 49 starts, compare to Jason Bere who was 24-7 after 48 for the Sox. But St. Mark is the greatest pitcher who ever lived, so lets run a side bar on him every single day.

I can see why Ozzie is getting results from the guys, he is a real leader. I accept your later coments. I'm still not completely sold on Ozzie either, but he's right on this one.

Brando, in your opinion, is it harder for people of different countries to speak English better?

Like what I mean, here's an example:

In most countries in Europe, they are taught English at a young age in school. Unlike here where we are required to take one foreign language, in many schools in Europe children are required to take English as as well as a second language in addition to English

i love how mariotti says that hes neither a cubs fan or a sox fan but he rips the sox in every possible way and finds all the positives in the cubs. this guy is absolutely retarted.

Also frank has done way more then mark prior has at this point so ozzie deserves to make comments like that. Frank is an established veteran who has a good shot at being in the hall someday yet Kotex Boy treats him like crap and acts as if prior is the next god, before he has really established himself.

Ozzie only said what a lot of us feel.  Frank is a legitimate HOF candidate after 13 years at the highest level but the Chicago papers treat him like he was a bum, perhaps if he were a wife beating cheater they would treat him better.  On the other hand, Saint Mark Prior is 24-12 after 49 starts, compare to Jason Bere who was 24-7 after 48 for the Sox.  But St. Mark is the greatest pitcher who ever lived, so lets run a side bar on him every single day.

I can see why Ozzie is getting results from the guys, he is a real leader.  I accept your later coments.  I'm still not completely sold on Ozzie either, but he's right on this one.

Frank is a HOF player.

Sosa is a celebrity

Prior is white boy marketable.

We know who is going to get the PR.

Everything Ozzie is quoted as saying is undoubtedly stretched a tad but yet true. But should he be the one saying it? Whose team does our manager follow? Watching the inches of newspaper columns is not one of his jobs, I wouldn't think. The Sox pr staff should be working the editors, not Ozzie. Meanwhile Oz has caused the cubs to buy a few new bulletin boards because there is a lot of bulletion board material here. That is one reason I don't like trash talk. If they have the season of their dreams and we tank or even come out just so-so, all of Ozzie's comments will be shoved right back at the body orfice of your choice by your cub friends.

I don't like Marriotti's style of writing. We have a guy in Denver who is even worse, believe it or not. But really, do you like Ozzie whining about what does or doesn't get printed? I don't. Just play the game and manage the game, and if we make the playoffs we'll get all the ink we need. Marriotti probably reads this board once in a while, and I bet he loves it when he pisses you guys off. Don't give him the satisfaction.

I don't like Marriotti's style of writing.  We have a guy in Denver who is even worse, believe it or not.  But really, do you like Ozzie whining about what does or doesn't get printed?  I don't.  Just play the game and manage the game, and if we make the playoffs we'll get all the ink we need.  Marriotti probably reads this board once in a while, and I bet he loves it when he pisses you guys off.  Don't give him the satisfaction.

thank you!

Thank you!

:cheers :cheers

I don't like Marriotti's style of writing.  We have a guy in Denver who is even worse, believe it or not.  But really, do you like Ozzie whining about what does or doesn't get printed?  I don't.  Just play the game and manage the game, and if we make the playoffs we'll get all the ink we need.  Marriotti probably reads this board once in a while, and I bet he loves it when he pisses you guys off.  Don't give him the satisfaction.

Would that be Bernie Lincicome? He used to write for the Trib, iirc. If so, I agree, he is worse than Mariotti.

Would that be Bernie Lincicome?  He used to write for the Trib, iirc.  If so, I agree, he is worse than Mariotti.

I was thinking of Around the Horn's very own Woody Paige. He writes for the Denver Post, and he's appears to be a crazy bastard who is probably responsible for outlandish articles.