SF Vet from Vietnam tees off on Kerry

NUKE_CLEVELAND

My wife had rotator cuff surgery earlier this year and the recovery is terrible painful. Then she developed staph infection and they had to cut the same scar open and operate on her again..........The experience, however, pales in comparison to what's going on in my heart now. 

The old hurts are surfacing and the feelings of betrayal by fellow citizens and their leader stirring them upare breaking my heart again.  How did we who served in Vietnam suddenly become cold-blooded killers, torturers and rapists in the ilk of the SS or the Taliban?  Most of us were American soldiers who grew up idolizing Roy Rogers, John Wayne and all the other heroes.  That's why I volunteered.  But for political expediency, John Kerry has rewritten history again.  After spending only 4 months in country he testified before Congress in 1971 with those exact words about incidents he saw or heard about from other vets:  "They personally raped, cut off ears, taped wires from portable telephones to genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blew up bodies...........in the countryside of South Vietnam.

I was a Special Forces officer who fought in the thick of it in 1968 & 1969 on a SF A-Team on the Ho Chi Mihn Trail, just for starters.  We were the elite.  We saw the most action.  But we didn't just kill people, we built a church, a school, treated illnesses, passed out soap, food and clothing and had fun and loving interaction with the indigenous people of Vietnam.

My children and grandchildren could read your words and think those horrendus things about me Mr. Kerry.  You are a bold faced, unprincipaled liar and a disgrace.  You have dishonored me and all my fellow Vietnam vets.  Sure there were a few bad apples but I saw none and I saw it all and if I did, as an Army officer, it was my obligation to stop it or at the very least report it.  Why is there not a single record anywhere of you report any incidents like this or having the perpetrators arrested?  The answer is simple.  You are a liar.  Your medals and mine are not a free pass for a lifetime, Senator Kerry, to bypass character, integrity, and morality.  I earn my Green Beret over and over again in all aspects of my life.

Eight National Guard Green Berets and other National Guard soldiers have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and you totally dishonor their widows and families by lumping National Guard service in with being a draft-dodger, conscientous objector and deserter just so you can sabotage the patriotism of our President who served proudly as an Air National Guard jet pilot. 

I volunteered for Vietnam and have no problem whatsoever with President Bush being our commander in chief.  In fact, I am proud of him as our leader.

John Kerry, you personally derailed the Vietnam Human Rights Bill ( HR 2833 ) in 2001 after it passed the house by a 411-1 vote and thousands of pro-American Montagnard tribespeople in Vietnam died since then who could have been saved, by you.  Earlier, as chair of a Senate select Committee on MIA/POW Affairs, you quashed the efforts of any and all efforts to report sightings of live POW's when you held those reins in Congress.

"Hanoi John" now that it works for you, you beat your chest about your Vietnam service, but to me, you are a phony, opportunistic, hypocrite.  You are one of the politicians that is like a fertilizer machine:  all that comes out of you is manure and you are spreading it everywhere.

Medals do not make a man.  Morals do.

Bravo!

And Props to Soldier of Fortune Magazine for publishing this.

Wassup dude?

Re. this issue...all I can say is it's better that Kerry served in Nam, saw what he saw, and came home and voiced his opinions based on his experiences, than Bush, who "supported" the Viet Nam war but was never going to go there!

Bush was (is) the hypocrite, not Kerry.

Wassup dude?

Re. this issue...all I can say is it's better that Kerry served in Nam, saw what he saw, and came home and voiced his opinions based on his experiences, than Bush, who "supported" the Viet Nam war but was never going to go there!

Bush was (is) the hypocrite, not Kerry.

How is Kerry not the Hypocrite here?

He tosses his medals, protests the war and makes all kinds about how horrible American Soldiers and now that it's convienent for him he thumps his chest about what a great warrior he is.

Please.

Too bad they can't find anyone who "served" wth Bush to see how they feel.

Nuke, would you like to serve for a country that didn't protest any wars? Hey let's send guys over there to die, then over there, then over there, and if there are any left, send them there. Who cares why we're fighting, support the President, Support the Troops, send them to die because the President's approval ratings are slipping, or he got caught with an intern. Nuke won't mind dying if it stops the population from thinking about Monica, or helps his buddies get lucrative contracts, or helps him get reelected. Not all wars are neccessary.

Only by having Hawks and Doves can we balance keeping our borders safe and not risking anymore lives then necessary. It is one of the reasons we have survived all these years. Democracy isn't always pretty, but it works.

Who is the author of this letter? Cuz I know there is a guy from a Vietnam Vets Against Kerry site and McCain tore that guy a new asshole, IIRC. I dunno if the guy who wrote the letter is the same guy from the VVAK thing or not but if Nuke can provide me the name, I can look into it and see if it's the same.

Who is the author of this letter?  Cuz I know there is a guy from a Vietnam Vets Against Kerry site and McCain tore that guy a new asshole, IIRC.  I dunno if the guy who wrote the letter is the same guy from the VVAK thing or not but if Nuke can provide me the name, I can look into it and see if it's the same.

The guy makes a living as a speaker and columnist. I saw his web site a while back when that first was posted. I'll try and find it.

How is Kerry not the Hypocrite here? 

He tosses his medals, protests the war and makes all kinds about how horrible American Soldiers and now that it's convienent for him he thumps his chest about what a great warrior he is.

Please.

I value the opinion of someone who was in the war, and experienced it over someone who didn't go but was so gung-ho for the war.

Who is the author of this letter?  Cuz I know there is a guy from a Vietnam Vets Against Kerry site and McCain tore that guy a new asshole, IIRC.  I dunno if the guy who wrote the letter is the same guy from the VVAK thing or not but if Nuke can provide me the name, I can look into it and see if it's the same.

His name is Don Bendell who served in 4 different SF groups and is now a best-selling author.

Eight National Guard Green Berets and other National Guard soldiers have been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan and you totally dishonor their widows and families by lumping National Guard service in with being a draft-dodger, conscientous objector and deserter just so you can sabotage the patriotism of our President who served proudly as an Air National Guard jet pilot.

I wonder if that's as bad as denying Guardsmen and reservists full medical coverage upon their return like Bush has done. Just saying.

They're both whores and we have no real choice. I'm not shilling for Kerry because he voted for damn near everything Bush wanted to do and yet has the balls to call himself the clear alternative.

And as for the VVAK. It's a different guy than the one who wrote this piece.

here's the guy that's been attacking McCain for years

Senator John McCain came to the defense of a fellow Vietnam War veteran, Senator John Kerry, on Friday by attacking the credibility of a North Carolina veteran who has dedicated himself to defeating Mr. Kerry in his campaign for president.

Mr. McCain, an Arizona Republican, called the man, Ted Sampley, "one of the most despicable people I have ever had the misfortune to encounter."

Mr. Sampley, a businessman from Kinston, N.C., has gained some attention in recent days for operating a Web site devoted to attacking Mr. Kerry, a Massachusetts Democrat, for his opposition to the war in Vietnam after his military service. The Web site, www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnkerry.com, includes pictures from the 1970's showing Mr. Kerry at antiwar protests. One shows Mr. Kerry at a rally, sitting several rows behind Jane Fonda, who was so outspoken against the war that she was labeled a Communist by her political opponents.

In response to Mr. McCain's remarks about him, Mr. Sampley said in a telephone interview: "It's not the first time he said that. That's his opinion. It's unbecoming of a senator to say things like that, but I'm fair game just like he is."

In 1993, Mr. Sampley was convicted of misdemeanor assault and sentenced to 180 days' probation for attacking a legislative aide to Mr. McCain.

A self-proclaimed champion for veterans' rights, Mr. Sampley has been criticizing Mr. Kerry for much the same reason he made Mr. McCain a target for years: Neither man, Mr. Sampley contends, has done enough to investigate his claim that American servicemen were left behind in Vietnam after the war.

Mr. Sampley once called Mr. McCain, who was held captive for five years in North Vietnam, "the Manchurian Candidate," a reference to a 1962 film in which a Communist-controlled candidate nearly becomes his party's candidate for president.

In a recent statement posted on his Web site, Mr. Sampley made a similar suggestion, saying: "I have personally dealt with John Kerry on the issue of U.S. P.O.W.s left behind in Vietnam. Kerry is not truthful and is not worthy of the support of U.S. veterans. Many Vietnam vets have been duped into thinking Kerry is their friend. He is not. To us, he is `Hanoi John.' "

In defending Mr. Kerry, Mr. McCain — who has campaigned for President Bush this year — said of Mr. Sampley: "I consider him a fraud who preys on the hopes of family members of missing servicemen for his own profit. He is dishonorable, an enemy of the truth, and despite his claims, he does not speak for or represent the views of all but a few veterans."

Mr. Sampley is not the only person actively seeking to discredit Mr. Kerry. In recent days, a picture showing Mr. Kerry at a podium with Ms. Fonda has circulated on the Internet. But the picture is a hoax, according to the photo agency that owns the original, Corbis. In the original photo, Mr. Kerry is alone at the podium.