The official Jose is underrated thread

witesoxfan

I don't know what the off season plans of the Sox are going to be, but if they don't pick up a LH run producing hitter, they BETTER resign Jose.  Uribe or no Uribe.

I have a feeling they will.

If Willie continues to build on this (I doubt it), then it just forces Rowand to be that much better in CF.

I have no problem with Rowand/Willie in CF, Jose at SS and Uribe at 2B as long as they don't cost more than 3 Mill all together.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you crazy?

When he have Juan Uribe, we won't be resigning Manos after the year. Sorry to burst your bubble there pal.

Maybe I went a little far in saying he's a damn near steal for $5 mill. I got caught up in my emotions when Jose hit one out.

But in no way am I suggesting that we resign him for $5 mill. You can check into the insane asylum if you are going to do that. If we can get him for $3 mill a year or less, we should do it ASAP.

I'm thinking Uribe can play 2B fine and dandy, Willie can play CF fine and dandy, and Jose can play SS fine and dandy. Rowand is proving he is destined to be a 4th OFer on a good team(or a starter on a weak team), Lee is proving to be a burden at $7.5 mill a year(about $6 mill this year, and $9 mill next year...$9 mill for .300 30 110 15 .830 IF YOU'RE LUCKY, and possibly .270 25 90 10 .790? Thanks, but no thanks, and you-be-gone). Put Reed in LF, Harris in CF, Uribe at 2B, Jose at SS...what's wrong with that? It looks a hell of a lot better (to me atleast) then Uribe/Valentin at SS, Uribe/Harris at 2B, Rowand in CF, Lee in LF, and this is not mentioning that it saves a boatload of money(Lee, Uribe, Harris, and probably Reed will make $10 mill, while next year(assuming we traded Lee and resigned Jose for $3 mill a year) Jose, Willie, Juan, and Reed would cost roughly $4 mill).

Now I assume you understand why I want to resign Jose. Then again, maybe that's a poor assumption

I look at him still from a perspective of how he fits on the team as a whole. I vote for moving him, because we don't need any more power hitters who strike out alot and can't move baserunners. If we had the dodgers or twins lineup, then yes, keep him, because they're a little light in the homerun department. But, if we're stuck with Thomas, Konerko, Lee, Crede, etc. then we need a guy who doesn't strike out much, favors hitting breaking balls, hits a bunch of singles/doubles, etc. I like Jose for what he is, but some of these all or nothing hitters have to go, whether its Manos, or Koinerko or whoever, we need some better balance in the lineup, IMHO.

Yes the guy who is a .247 lifetime hitter and makes 5 million dollars is really freaking underrated. :puke

Well he sure as hell doesn't suck. Not like how Royce Clayton sucked a few years ago making $4.5 mill.

BTW, that .247 also includes the years he hit .220 consecutively in a Brewers uniform and the year he hit .219 for the Brewers as well. As a member of the White Sox, he has hit .255, and has averaged 26 or 27 homers a year(before he came to the Sox, he'd hit 20+ homers ONCE), and a career OPS of roughly .810(not that this is his career, but consider that Ivan Rodriguez had an OPS of .840 last year in a "good" year while making $10 mill).

I personally feel Jose's underrated. I just don't think anyone realizes what Jose actually does for this team.

I look at him still from a perspective of how he fits on the team as a whole.  I vote for moving him, because we don't need any more power hitters who strike out alot and can't move baserunners.  If we had the dodgers or twins lineup, then yes, keep him, because they're a little light in the homerun department.  But, if we're stuck with Thomas, Konerko, Lee, Crede, etc.  then we need a guy who doesn't strike out much, favors hitting breaking balls, hits a bunch of singles/doubles, etc.  I like Jose for what he is, but some of these all or nothing hitters have to go, whether its Manos, or Koinerko or whoever, we need some better balance in the lineup, IMHO.

So why move Jose when you can move Carlos, who actually has upside and, more importantly, value to other teams? Konerko has little value...he has pretty much peaked out and doesn't exactly show glimpses promise of being a potential superstar. Carlos can show that, and he occasionally shows some very good capabilities with the bat. Not to mention that Carlos actually has range defensively and isn't a clog on the basepaths.

Sure, re-sign him in the off-season. But not for 5 million dollars. Also make sure he knows that he'll be a left hander off the bench.

Uribe and Harris are ready to play up the middle. If Jose can't accept that it's time for him to go elsewhere.

CWSOX45

Maybe I went a little far in saying he's a damn near steal for $5 mill.  I got caught up in my emotions when Jose hit one out.

But in no way am I suggesting that we resign him for $5 mill.  You can check into the insane asylum if you are going to do that.  If we can get him for $3 mill a year or less, we should do it ASAP.

I'm thinking Uribe can play 2B fine and dandy, Willie can play CF fine and dandy, and Jose can play SS fine and dandy.  Rowand is proving he is destined to be a 4th OFer on a good team(or a starter on a weak team), Lee is proving to be a burden at $7.5 mill a year(about $6 mill this year, and $9 mill next year...$9 mill for .300 30 110 15 .830 IF YOU'RE LUCKY, and possibly .270 25 90 10 .790?  Thanks, but no thanks, and you-be-gone).  Put Reed in LF, Harris in CF, Uribe at 2B, Jose at SS...what's wrong with that?  It looks a hell of a lot better (to me atleast) then Uribe/Valentin at SS, Uribe/Harris at 2B, Rowand in CF, Lee in LF, and this is not mentioning that it saves a boatload of money(Lee, Uribe, Harris, and probably Reed will make $10 mill, while next year(assuming we traded Lee and resigned Jose for $3 mill a year) Jose, Willie, Juan, and Reed would cost roughly $4 mill).

Now I assume you understand why I want to resign Jose.  Then again, maybe that's a poor assumption

:huh What ever happened to the CF experiment with Valentin?

So why move Jose when you can move Carlos, who actually has upside and, more importantly, value to other teams?  Konerko has little value...he has pretty much peaked out and doesn't exactly show glimpses promise of being a potential superstar.  Carlos can show that, and he occasionally shows some very good capabilities with the bat.  Not to mention that Carlos actually has range defensively and isn't a clog on the basepaths.

I got no problems with that, except that we seem to have a better replacement at SS than we do in the outfield. Jeremy Reed is nice and all, but he has zero big league at bats. Uribe wont hit .375 all year, but I'm more impressed by him doing it at the big level than by Reed doing it in AAA.

I love Jose Valentin and have always been a backer. I hope we can keep him on the team. I think that at this point Jose Valentin, Joe Crede, Juan Uribe and Willie Harris make up a very strong and productibe left side of the infield. We have a versatile duo in Jose and Uribe. Juan is truly the supersub in the infield.

:huh What ever happened to the CF experiment with Valentin?

Jose was bad in CF and it killed his hamstrings IIRC. He lost a good chunk of the 2001 season(about 20 games, but 38 of the 162...we all know he doesn't play in all 162 due to his inability to hit RHP) due to his hamstring injury, and that's one of the main reasons he no longer steals bases as well. He stole 19 in 2000, and had double digit steals in every previous year except 1999(which too was cut way short due to injury, as in he missed damn near half the season).

I got no problems with that, except that we seem to have a better replacement at SS than we do in the outfield.  Jeremy Reed is nice and all, but he has zero big league at bats.  Uribe wont hit .375 all year, but I'm more impressed by him doing it at the big level than by Reed doing it in AAA.

At that point, my thing is this...

Where's the LH power? :huh

That's the main reason I want to keep Jose, honest to God. I love watching him play, but if he weren't the only LH power hitter in the lineup, I can quite honestly say I probably would not be having this argument with you.

Incorrect on the former, correct on the latter. He hasn't been the same base-stealer since 2001 ST - bad hamstrings are a b****.  .

I just couldn't remember which it was exactly. I did not see much baseball in 2001, and I didn't follow the Sox as much as I do now.

So let's bash Konerko/Harris/Crede/Lee/Rowand/Garland/Koch/Politte/...You get the picture.

No I dont. Who are you going to replace Harris, Garland, Konerko, Crede, and Politte with? and even Lee at the moment? You can't bring up anyone for Lee yet.

No I dont.  Who are you going to replace Harris, Garland, Konerko, Crede, and Politte with? and even Lee at the moment?  You can't bring up anyone for Lee yet.

You said something that can be read two ways. Replaceable can mean they are easily replaced by anyone, or they are replaceable by someone on the team.

Regardless, that is NOT a good reason to bash someone. You can bash them if they are doing s***ty or they don't give a s*** or they aren't earning their money(ala Carlos and his $6 mill salary hitting .235).

he is good enough to finish this year off but after that he is almost defenetly gone and i dont think he minds because he owns a white sox minor league team now i think so he can concentrate on that more that means

He doesn't own any minor league team. He is part owner of a winter league team.

BIG DIFFERENCE

:fight

he is good enough to finish this year off but after that he is almost defenetly gone and i dont think he minds because he owns a white sox minor league team now i think so he can concentrate on that more that means

Where do people get this stuff?

There is a higher chance Manos is pulling a Palmeiro, plays til 40 and goes down as one of the players who was better in his 30s than in his 20s (it helped to stay healthy, lol) than him retiring after this year. Especially now that he is learning to bat all-lefty, his power numbers should surge come June-July (when those balls he hit to the wall or off the wall -- like yesterday's game - start sailing out of the park), which should segue nicely into what are traditionally his best months, August and September.

Just don't expect him to hit higher than 260-270 (when you only hit to RF and only of line-drive/flyball variety, it's almost impossible to hit higher...and at 34 Jose is not about to start listening to common sense, all-field approach, lolol)

At that point, my thing is this...

Where's the LH power? :huh

That's the main reason I want to keep Jose, honest to God.  I love watching him play, but if he weren't the only LH power hitter in the lineup, I can quite honestly say I probably would not be having this argument with you.

So let Reed hit a few dingers and this turns into Official Who Cares if Jose Stays Thread?

So let Reed hit a few dingers and this turns into Official Who Cares if Jose Stays Thread?

Huh?

Jeremy Reed is a CF-LF, not a SS.

Jeremy Reed has no homers in a sandbox in Charlotte. He'll be a Catalonato type, not the Brian Giles type.

I dunno about you, but I'd rather have Jose back at 1-2 Mill than Cabrera or Renteria at 8+

Huh?

He wasn't talking about replacing position. He was talking about replacing a lefty power and I was saying Reed but you said he doesnt hit homers so I guess that I am wrong but I was talking about replacing lefty not position.

I dunno about you, but I'd rather have Jose back at 1-2 Mill than Cabrera or Renteria at 8+

If he wants 1-2 million, then I can live with that for another year or two, but if he wants 5+ million for next season....ship his ass to Japan for all I care. ;)