5/12 games

MnSoxFan

Nice comeback for the Warthogs. Rogo with a 3 run dinger to help win it, he had all 4 RBIs, maybe he will see Birmingham this summer yet. Anderson with 2 hits and a walk, Sweeney with a hit, Nice relief pitching, that 30 year old ex Royal farmhand, Kenny Ray, with the win. 7th save for Pollak.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform...px?GAMEID=11768

Charlotte has day off.

Guest JimH

Chris Amador 2 for 3.

Someone please tell me this kid is finally learning to hit. He has speed, speed, speed. Seems like he's been around forever but he's still only 21.

Guest JimH
Yes, bump.

Sounds like "Meet The Parents" when he's on the plane, hanging onto his luggage:

"Bomb bomb bomb, bomb dee bomb bomb".

And now, back to our regularly scheduled bumping. :D

Miller is really getting in a groove. Its great to see since he's supposed to have some of the highest upside of anyone in the organization.

The Sox really have a lot of upside at the lower levels and the pitching in Bham has been flat filthy as has Charlotte's. The only downside I can see is the fact that Honel and Wing, two of the best in the organization, have about 4 innings between them, all of which are Honels.

Its also great seeing Ryan Rodriguez and Haigwood pitching so well after missing last year with injuries. Plus Bmac doing his thing. Kanny has such a sick rotation. Heck, other then Winston Salem, the Sox must have one of the best pitching staffs top to bottom, stat wise in minor league baseball (and no, I'm not going to take the time to research that, lol) .

Looks like the minor leaguers went 3-0 yesterday, I think that was 2nd day this week to go 3-0, they are really starting to all play pretty well.

Yeah now that Bham is getting enough hitting to win with the good pitching more consistently and Winston-Salem has gotten better hitting and pitching all the teams in the organization are doing pretty well. Heck even Kanny has been showing more consistency of late, winning 3 in a row (longest winning streak of season).

Morse's hot bat cools off Biscuits

Thursday, May 13, 2004

A. STACY LONG

For The Birmingham News

MONTGOMERY - The Southern League's best shortstop may not have been promoted Wednesday. Montgomery's B.J. Upton, rated Baseball America's top minor league prospect, was promoted to Triple-A Durham on Wednesday.

Birmingham's Michael Morse is still around.

"That's the best shortstop in the league," Barons first baseman Aaron McNeal said after Birmingham's 7-2 win over the Biscuits on Wednesday at Riverwalk Stadium.

Morse had a line-drive bad-hop RBI single that helped key a big third inning, and singled and scored in the eighth.

Morse and left fielder Mike Spidale both had two hits and scored two runs in front of an announced crowd of 3,782.

Morse, a 6-foot-5 21-year-old, entered Wednesday with a .303 average and left it with a team-high 18 runs scored and 19 RBIs.

"He's an Alex Rodriguez-type of shortstop, I like to tell him," Barons manager Razor Shines said. "I'm ecstatic he's on my club."

Morse's third-inning single skipped over Montgomery shortstop Nestor Perez - Upton's heir apparent - and helped the Barons piece together a five-run inning.

Ruddy Yan's two-run double erased Montgomery's 1-0 lead. After Morse's RBI single, Nate Murphy had a sacrifice fly to make it 4-1.

McNeal's single to center scored Morse and ended the five-run outburst.

"When you're not swinging the bat good or feeling good, you have to get some of those to go through," Morse said. "It kept that inning going."

Birmingham's Ryan Meaux (2-3) scattered 10 hits over six innings, allowing only two runs. The Biscuits left four runners in scoring position against Meaux and finished with eight left on base.

Brian McNichol gave up one hit over two innings for the Barons. He's yet to allow a run in 19 innings this year.

"McNichol has been outstanding and phenomenal," Shines said. "We couldn't ask for anything more than he's done."

Montgomery's Jim Magrane (1-2) surrendered six runs on six hits in five innings. He issued two key walks in the Barons' five-run third, including one to Josh Shaffer, who started Wednesday with a .108 batting average.

Perez was 3-for-4 with two RBIs in his first game since Upton's promotion. He also played shortstop Tuesday night and is a combined 5-for-8.

Perez had a two-out single in the second to score Fernando Cortez, who had tripled. In the sixth, Cortez and Perez hit back-to-back two-out doubles to cut Birmingham's lead to 6-2.

Perez has started four of the last five games. It's the most playing time he's seen since Upton left the team in April for a family funeral.

"Now that I have a chance to play every day, I definitely want to do my best," Perez said. "It's not easy to have three hits in a game, so it's very hard to remember the last time."