Best Sox hitter

BigHurt4evah

Who is the best Sox hitter in the lineup?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best Sox hitter in the lineup?

• Frank Thomas
    • Magglio Ordonez
    • Paul Konerko
    • Other

When hitting like himself, it's Frank, hands down...

Mags is still improving, so maybe soon it will be him, but until he hits .353, .349, or .347, it's gotta be the Hurt.

What years did Frank have those averages?

'94, '96, and '97, respectively.

That's been six years. I still think that Magglio is the best hitter in the lineup right now.

Mags is still improving, so maybe soon it will be him, but until he hits .353, .349, or .347, it's gotta be the Hurt.

That's been six years. I still think that Magglio is the best hitter in the lineup right now.

I hate to do this, because I love Mags, but...

The last season that Frank was himself was 2000. In that season, Frank was .328, 43, and 143. Mags was .315, 32, 126. Frank's OBP was .436, compared to Mags' .371. Mags was good, but Frank was great.

Even look at last season. Frank had what was probably his worst year, and Mags had his best year. Yet, Mags' OBP was only 20 points higher than Frank's (.381 to .361).

So again, Mags is good, but Frank is (still) better.

The last season that Frank was himself was 2000. In that season, Frank was .328, 43, and 143. Mags was .315, 32, 126. Frank's OBP was .436, compared to Mags' .371. Mags was good, but Frank was great.

Even look at last season. Frank had what was probably his worst year, and Mags had his best year. Yet, Mags' OBP was only 20 points higher than Frank's (.381 to .361).

Maggs' ba was 68 points higher last year, had 105 more total bases and his slugging was about 125 points higher.

I still don't think you can say Frank is better until he does better. Does this poll mean the best hitter overall for the Sox (including past performance) or best hitter right now?

How unfortunate that missing a season with a very serious arm injury and a sub-par following season makes people forget what happened just 2 years ago. When Frank is healthy, he's the best hitter in the line-up, and one of the best hitters in the game. There is no disputing that.

Maggs' ba was 68 points higher last year, had 105 more total bases and his slugging was about 125 points higher.

Comparing one person's best season to another's worst proves absolutely nothing. It's a waste of time to write it, and a waste of time for others to read it.

:o :o :o

OK well this poll means best overall hitter, not best hitter right this second, best statistically, or best in the future.

allow me to rephrase my question.

if you could have one of these two men RIGHT NOW to hit in your lineup, who would it be? Jesus Christ can ya find people to disect a friendly question? hahaha

:lol:

Comparing one person's best season to another's worst proves absolutely nothing. It's a waste of time to write it, and a waste of time for others to read it.

I don't see how referring to how Thomas did 6 seasons ago proves how good he will do now either.

I don't see how referring to how Thomas did 6 seasons ago proves how good he will do now either.

My main argument from the outset was that Mags has never hit as high as Frank has, even as recently as 2 years ago, when BOTH are playing like they're supposed to be. This season will be the true test -- Frank has no more excuses (not that he ever really did, honestly), and Mags has evolved into a better hitter every year. They should compliment each other very well, to say the least.

Even if you compare Mags' best year (2002) to Frank's most recent "no excuse" year (2000), Mags still comes up short. Great numbers, yes, but not quite up to the standards that Frank has set, and will continue to set in 2003.

We'll have to remember this thread at the end of the season, so we'll know who was right. :)

Believe me, I hope both have great seasons. In order for the Sox to be successful, they're going to have to. Maybe they'll get co-MVP's. ;) I wonder if that's ever happened with teammates?

hey I agree with clujer.

I think Frank has proved how he can be the most dominant hitter in the majors, even in 2000. Maggs has shown he is a good hitter, but Frank has proved he's a great one. Maggs hasn't even started in the all-star game, and Frank has 2 MVP's?? (should be 3) I don't see how you can say its definately either, but both should have good seasons, and I'll remember to bring this up later :D