Minor League Prospects & Expectations

Rex Hudler

Well, I don't think Honel gets 200k a year. He got whatever his signing bonus was, minus taxes and then just gets a minor league players salary.

Once he reaches the majors then he gets the minimum contract for like 2 years and then becomes arbitration eligble. I think thats how it all works.

Chisoxfn, you are correct.  There are a few more wrinkles than that along the way, but you got it right.  Honel should only be making about $1,000-$1,200 a month, in season only.  His money came in the form of a signing bonus and all had to be paid in the first year.

Its why I have so much respect for minor leaguers. A lot of them get paid next to nothing over the course of a season and then have to take full time jobs during the offseason.

Now the first couple rounds don't have to worry as much cause of signing bonuses, but everything past that you have to have a lot of will and heart to keep on going.

I heard an interview with some lower level minor league players in the Padres organization and they said they get like 6000-7000 a season. That ain't much considering its like 7 months of the year. I'm sure it varies from team to team though.

It has been a few years since some buddies of mine played, but here is an idea of what Minor League guys make. Perhaps Mr. Bullard will back me up or correct me on this, because the numbers could be off a little.

First of all, the players don't get paid during spring training. They get put up in housing and a per diem for meals. Obviously a guy in Big League camp gets a much bigger per diem. If they provide their own housing, then they get a certain amount for that as well.

Class A players make roughly $850 - $1,200 a month depending on their level.

Double A guys start at around $1,500 or $1,600/month I believe.

Triple A guys about $1,800.

There are a lot of variables to this once they get to higher levels. If a guy is on the MLB 40-man roster, he gets a little more the first year. The second year he gets $38,000 salary (I'm sure that has changed with the new labor agreement and increase in the minimum at the Major League level).

After a player has been in the same system for more than 6 full seasons, he becomes a Minor League free agent (unless he is on the 40-man roster). Minor League free agents c ommand a higher salary because they can sign with any team. Those salaries vary widely based on the player, the level he is signed for (AA or AAA) and demand in general. As a general rule, they range from roughly $3,000 - $6,000 a month. Some will get lower and a few will get more.

So it is realistic to have 4 guys with lockers next to each other where one makes $1,500 a month, another $5,000 a month and another who makes $38,000 and yet another who makes $1,500 a month but got a signing bonus of over a million dollars.

Mr. Bullard, hope I didn't let out the big secret? :) I would appreciate any insight you might be able to add. Are my numbers still close?

Guest hotsoxchick1
too bad nobody thought about this when kip wells was here...we rush the guy to the majors with less than 1/2 year of professional baseball....then are shocked when he s***s his pants after some rough outings and loses confidence...give up on him and now are once again shocked that he doing so well in pittsburgh but disguise that fact with kip was a bust and would have never done that well here..he had to have a change of scenery

kip this and kip that... wahhh.. face it he sucked.......deer in the headlights........lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol .....................

Talent-wise, Kip Wells was the best pitcher we've had in a looooooooooong time.

double m you did not just go there ... paaaaaa leassseeeeee.....dont tell me you just said that kip was one of the most talented pitchers we had in a long time....i suppose mark is chopped liver????? hes way better than kip will ever hope to be.. and he wasnt supposed to be much at all remember.....

Talent-wise, Kip Wells was the best pitcher we've had in a looooooooooong time

Both Buerhle and Rauch are nothing to sneer at. Last year I would have said ditto for Malone. Diaz and Honel have at least as high celings as Kip. At least one of Wright/Garland should be very good in the long run. Biddle, too, with his movement and 4-pich arsenal was excellent when healthy. Debatable in other words.

too bad nobody thought about this when kip wells was here...we rush the guy to the majors with less than 1/2 year of professional baseball....then are shocked when he s***s his pants after some rough outings and loses confidence...give up on him and now are once again shocked that he doing so well in pittsburgh but disguise that fact with kip was a bust and would have never done that well here..he had to have a change of scenery

kip this and kip that... wahhh.. face it he sucked.......deer in the headlights........lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol .....................

Talent-wise, Kip Wells was the best pitcher we've had in a looooooooooong time.

double m you did not just go there ... paaaaaa leassseeeeee.....dont tell me you just said that kip was one of the most talented pitchers we had in a long time....i suppose mark is chopped liver????? hes way better than kip will ever hope to be.. and he wasnt supposed to be much at all remember.....

kip wells was throwing 97 mph last year in the 8th inning of some games....we have one guy on this team thats come close to accomplishing that (not counting bartolo who didnt come through our system)...that would be danny wright..throwing 96 mph in the 9th inning of his shut out against boston last year...you can probably count on one hand the number of pitcher who can go into the 8th of ballgames throwing 97 mph or better

Guest hotsoxchick1

yeah but how many of those 97mph did he strike out in the 8th innings???? lol..... come on baggs ya know i like to bust on your love affair for old deer in the headlights...... :D

kip wells was throwing 97 mph

It's funny but I remember Kip was 91-94 on the fast radar gun (the only that registered Baldwin at 95 and Foulke at 94 and Colon at 102) in the 3rd ining...wow, he must have gotten a whole new arm on E-bay.

Besides, velocity means s***. Just ask Matt Anderson and Keith Foulke. :)

It's funny but I remember Kip was 91-94 on the fast radar gun (the only that registered Baldwin at 95 and Foulke at 94 and Colon at 102) in the 3rd ining...wow, he must have gotten a whole new arm on E-bay.

I'll agree with you on this forum. :D

Didnt matter if well threw 100. everyone knew it wasnt going to be a brush off pitch. Kip had no balls. thatwas his problem here. And velocity dont mean s***. Buehrle and Maddux are great examples of that. They throw 90 tops and rarly have to throw that hard. Location, movement and changing speedsis everything . Unless you're a fireballer with no other pitches. (Billy Koch)

as soon as wells showed up in pittsburgh they changed his delivery and told hm not to think...just trust his stuff...even pirates gm dave littlefield said we knew we could get mph from kip because we saw his mechanics were messed up in chicago..but even we didnt think his arm was this good...thats what he said after

with the sox..kip came up throwing 95-96 in'99..by the time nardi got threw with kip was all screwed up...that was after an 8 innings 2 hitter