Toni Smith's Views From A Sporting Event?

kevingrt13

Do you agree with Toni Smith's stand?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Toni Smith's stand?

• Agree backing down to the flag and her views on war
    • Agree backing down to flag but not views on war
    • Disagree with backing down to flag but agree on war
    • Disagree with backing down to flag and disagree on war

As many of you know a Division III women's college basketball player from Manhattanville College named Toni Smith in her last few games has looked the opposite way when the National Anthem is being played, because she disagrees with America going to war in the Middle East versus Iraq. Here is her explanation according to ESPN.com Sports Nation:

For some time now, the inequalities that are embedded into the American system have bothered me. As they are becoming progressively worse and it is clear that the government's priorities are not bettering the quality of life for all of it's people, but rather on expanding it's own power, I can no longer, in good conscience, salute the flag.

The war America will soon be entering in has reinforced my beliefs, while further angering me. I am aware that this is a time of fear for many Americans, and the media has done a fine job of maintaining that fear and riling up people's emotions. However, amidst this fear people have lost sight of the fact that Bush's plan for "maintaining our safety" will cause many innocent people, women and children, mothers and babies, to die overseas. Furthermore, going to war will likely provoke more violence in this country.

It does not bother me that so many Americans oppose me. If anyone looked deeper than the headlines they would find that my arguments are true. Besides, whether or not people agree with me is irrelevant. It is my right as an American to stand for my beliefs the way others have done against me. Being patriotic cannot simply be an empty slogan. Patriotism can be shown in many ways, but those who choose to do so by saluting the flag should recognize that the American flag stands for individuality and freedom. Therefore, any true patriot must acknowledge and respect my right to be different.

No I personally completely disagree with her stand on war and mostly backing down to the flag. She must obviously not understand what the American Flag represents to the USA. Personally, I think we should put her in Iraq to show here how it is in Iraq. And then bring her back to see how she really feels about America, and America's pursuit to change the Middle East and Iraq.

Thoughts?

She lives in a democracy where she can do this. One can also burn the flag if they so please.

Hell, free speech is what is going to let me start a pretzel-gram at quad day in August asking Bush to step down and send him a pretzel with the letter, hehe.

The flag represents freedom of expression and democracy. If we have tyrrany of the majority and don't allow her do to this protest, then we are no better than a dictatorship. She is also right in her views on Iraq and the impending war there. (Inserts anti-war views that essentially everybody here knows I have)

D 3 women's basketball=who cares.

Thank you.

Although, I do like the quote she had in her profile that I read from somewhere... "It will be a great day when schools get all the funding they need and the military needs to hold bake sales to buy missiles."

Priceless.

I'll second that.

As for this b****..... the flag is a symbol of the lifestyle we live..... a lifestyle that allows this c*** to play basketball for some s***ty ass Division III Women's Basketball team that, until now, I have never heard of. The American Flag is a symbol of freedom and an ideology. It does not nor has it ever represented the political views of a specific political party or person.

Having said that, I fully expect the liberals to now torch what I just said. That is, however, my opinion.

I'll second that.

As for this b****..... the flag is a symbol of the lifestyle we live..... a lifestyle that allows this c*** to play basketball for some s***ty ass Division III Women's Basketball team that, until now, I have never heard of. The American Flag is a symbol of freedom and an ideology. It does not nor has it ever represented the political views of a specific political party or person.

Having said that, I fully expect the liberals to now torch what I just said. That is, however, my opinion.

I still don't see all the hubbub over a flag, but maybe that's just me. And yes, that flag does represent specific political views; namely, republicanism and capitalism. She has a problem with the inequalities that run rampant in any capitalistic society, so I don't see why she has to salute it. She's allowed to have an opinion and exercise it as long as she doesn't invade other's autonomy and turning one's back on a flag doesn't tread on any one else.

We have come to the point where our flag represents the corporations more than the people. When was the last time our government did anything for the common man and not for the ALMIGHTY DOLLAR. Almost every war we ever fought has been about money. Here are some examples

Revolutionary War= No taxes for businesses

Civil War=States wanted to control taxition not government (It was not about slavery)

Korea & Vietnam=Corporations did not want to lose their holdings in manufacturing or hotel real estate

Desert Storm=We actually authorized Iraq to attack Kuwait because Kuwait was renigging on their debt to Iraq. We later rescinded this after the world disagreed with the invasion. Now we have a treaty with Kuwait that have to sell barrels of crude oil to our oil companies at $4 a barrel when market value is $34 Doesn't this sound like legal theivery?

Don't tel me this new war isn't about oil. Here's to Bush & the sheep who follow him :fyou

Oh ya, some of you should read my other post Open Your Eyes