Mario Valenzuela

Jim Fainter

He's a bit older, 25 (turns 26 on the 10th of March), and did miss all of last season, but this kid is a hitting machine. He's hit throughout the minors and I firmly believe if given the chance, he could turn out a lot like Magglio. I'm not saying he'll be as good cause thats hard pressed, but he hasn't been hyped, neither was Mario and both have been hitting machines. Mario and Maggs both hit the ball hard and have "live" bats.

He killed the ball last spring then got hurt.

He had reconstructive elbow surgery last spring and missed the whole year. His "coming out" year was 2001 and he had an outstanding Fall League performance and was added to the 40-man after the 2001 Rule V draft when he went unclaimed.

Looks like he's just a late bloomer, plus he's got a pretty significant right field road block in Ordonez.

Mario is one guy I really like so allow me to fill in some of the gaps with him.

Mario hit well in 2000 at Winston Salen, hitting .261 with 21 HR and 85 RBI. He played 88 games in Birmingham and 49 in Charlotte in 2001 and then had a huge Arizona Fall League following that season. His combined numbers for Birmingham and Charlotte were: .280 with 22 HR and 79 RBI.

He then had a great spring last year before getting hurt. He had Tommy John surgery on his elbow and missed the 2002 season.

Mario is not the kind of guy that will impress you by seeing him play once or twice. He impresses by what he does day in and day out. His numbers compare very well with those put up by Maggs at the same levels. He even looks a little like Maggs and goes about his business quietly. Being a RF along with the aforementioned, Maggs comparisons are frequent. Keep in mind, Maggs really bloomed after he was in the Majors, so it is not fair to expect the same from Mario. The differences between Mario and Maggs were that Maggs walked a bit more and struck out a bit less. The differences were not drastic, however. Mario was also a year older in AA.

He will turn 26 before the season begins.

I truly believe, given the chance that he could blossom like Maggs did. More realistically, he would be an excellent 4th outfielder. Unfortunately, that opportunity may never come with the Sox. Hopefully he will get the chance with someone, because I would hate to see him wasted by sitting in AAA for the next 5 years. That does happen to good players sometimes.

Rex, you sure know your s***.

How would you rate him compared to Rowand?

jf

I just watch a lot of baseball, have been involved in the game at the amateur level for many years and can usually find stats on guys. I'm no genious or anything. LOL

That said......

I like Rowand better as a player, but I am very high on Rowand. I think Rowand is a legitimate RF in the Majors and given a few years could put up some huge numbers. He has not yet shown his power potential at the Major League level and I think he will. He could be a legit 25-30 HR guy. You guys have seen him play CF more than I have, but I don't doubt his ability to play there. I just like his arm in RF. Watching him throw during the 2000 season was a pleasure.

I guess I am kind of a geek in that regard, but I look for little things that stand out in a player and a player with a great arm is a pleasure to watch (perhaps because I didn't have one). Rowand, Dellaero and Olivo are three guys at three different positions that have as good of arms at their positions as I have ever seen. Watching those guys day in and day out is what is fun. Seeing a player here or there, or an at-bat or two on Tv doesn't really paint the whole picture of what a guy can do. What he does over a whole season tells a lot about a player.

I like Mario V. but see him more as a 4th OF. With the right opportunity, he COULD break out like Maggs did and become a big time player, but having one guy break out like that after he gets to the Show is rare enough. More likely he will be a 4th OF for another team or he will be unlucky and labor in AAA due to a lack of a real opportunity. Like I alluded to before, he is not a guy that will impress you a lot by watching him play for 4 days. I hope he gets the opportunity somewhere to show that he can play at that level.

I wonder if there is a chance Mario will make the team over Rios.  Can they even send Rios to Charlotte if they want to?  Options?

Rios signed a Major League contract and Mario is not on the 40-man, so I don't see that happening, especially with him coming off a lost year from surgery. I think he will see a lot of DH time and they will ease him into the field.

Rios seems to be more versatile also. Better wheels too, I would think.