Lou Pineilla

Bighurt52235

I take it that was the first time you've ever seen Sweet Lou

I've seen him do that a lot....the Bobby Knight of baseball. A hell of a coach...but he does it in an ugly way. Then again, in baseball....a lot of great managers seemed like assholes.

But I don't like Manuel's style of managing....dumbassing around....channeling Ghandi....pulling pitchers at the wrong time, not managing by the book.

If we could get Tom Kelly....even if he did ruin the Twins chances in 2001.....I would love it. He only got ejected like 5 times in his entire career...but was always out there defending his players. He just didn't yell his ass off, like Piniella or Showalter...etc.

I would take Piniella over Manuel....Piniella has proven time and time again that he is a great manager. He has taken his teams to the postseason several times....while Manuel has had, correct me if I'm wrong here, 2 seasons of +.500 baseball...with 4 right around the .500 mark. It is crazy as hell to find out that he is one of only two managers in the AL to have had the same job for two centuries. He is on the hot seat this year...and if this team gets off to a rough start....Manuel may get a rough boot up his ass and get the can. All I could do was hope that Wally Backman came up....he's seen many of the players on the big league roster in the minors and knows what to do with them....so long as we didn't hire Bruce Kimm.

They need to get off to a great start.....and I believe they can and will. People are underestimating them, talent wise.....they better realize we aren't here to bulls***. We are here to kick some ass.

CWSOX, Lou made JM look sick in the playoffs, Lou may yell but he gets results. JM is just not a longterm answer anymore.

On one play, in one game, yes.

I was there... I saw it.

I also saw that Lou's team didn't advance to the series in any year he was there, and that last season they missed the playoffs and he was gone.

I also think that JM held the team together in 2001 and 2002 when it could have fallen apart and if JM hadn't of done that, we wouldn't be looking at good things in 2003. Calm and steady is the better way to manage young ballplayers than bombast. In my opinion...

CWSOX, Lou made JM look sick in the playoffs, Lou may yell but he gets results. JM is just not a longterm answer anymore.

On one play, in one game, yes.

I was there... I saw it.

I also saw that Lou's team didn't advance to the series in any year he was there, and that last season they missed the playoffs and he was gone.

I also think that JM held the team together in 2001 and 2002 when it could have fallen apart and if JM hadn't of done that, we wouldn't be looking at good things in 2003. Calm and steady is the better way to manage young ballplayers than bombast. In my opinion...

cw....I don't think you are giving enough credit to Buehrle....because if Buehrle doesn't pitch magnificent these past two years....we don't have much of anything. No Colon, no Koch, probably no Konerko, Lee, Valentin, Thomas....etc. Manuel may have helped hold the team together...but without Buehrle....not even Manuel could have held the team together, and he would either be unemployed right now or would have some stupid coaching job...like bench coach or something.

If we don't make the postseason this year....I gotta think Manuel will be gone.

cw....I don't think you are giving enough credit to Buehrle....because if Buehrle doesn't pitch magnificent these past two years....we don't have much of anything.

No Colon, no Koch, probably no Konerko, Lee, Valentin, Thomas....etc.  Manuel may have helped hold the team together...but without Buehrle....not even Manuel could have held the team together, and he would either be unemployed right now or would have some stupid coaching job...like bench coach or something.

I don't give enough credit to Buehrle???????? Me??????? Since when?????? :lol:

I don't think MB has been the key to every good thing and good player... that is overly giving credit, I think.

A manager sets the mood and with all the injuries in 2001 the Sox still hung in and came back - and after the June/July plummet in 2002, the Sox still ended up on an up note.

All bad cannot be ascribed to the manager and none of the good.

I don't think JM is the best manager in history. I disagree with his decisions often enough. And I don't mind being the lesser-agreed to position on this. I think Manuel is a better manager than given credit for, and his demeanor is a better one for handling our team.

That play was just the Zeneth of an enept JM, he has had ample time to move this team forward and he has not. Example he said last year we are going to run more , we did for about oh 2 weeks

he is clueless in game stragedy, hell he made even D.Baylor look good. JM held nothing together, he let Thomas, Clayton, be clubhouse problems, when KW has to go into the locker room and talk to people, there are real problems. JM grade as of today as SOX manager is a C-, and I am being kind.

All I'm saying is that without Buehrle....we are not where we are today. Buehrle is the savior of this team...and should have been given MVP of the White Sox two straight years.

Manuel was a big part of the success of 2001....he really did help unite that team and keep them going. It just seems that he kind of lost control of the team during 2002....they weren't motivated to play....they just played like s*** most of the time. But I credit a lot of their success from August and September to the young guys coming up and getting some fire built up in the veterans....and Valentin being back at SS. The Sox were 31-16 last year with Jose at SS....that means that the Sox were 15 games under .500 with anyone else at SS. That drops a huge hint, IMHO....that Valentin at SS was also a key to success.

I may be giving too much credit to Buehrle....but I don't think Manuel deserves as much credit as you are giving him. He does deserve credit for putting Jose back at SS....so I guess I can give him that. I guess he is a manger we can win with....he has proven it before.

I'll live with that - :)

By the way, got the second Sox tattoo today - the logo that Soxfest is using as his avatar - the dude placed it slighltly more forward on my ankle than I intended - can't b**** because I watched him, I didn't see it in right perspective till it was too late - oh well it done is done - it looks great and is just going to be a bit more prominent than I had planned -

JM is not doing a bad job as manager. Not great, but acceptable, considering the injuries in 2001 and having a starting staff with an ineffective Todd Ritchie and inexperienced Jon Garland and Danny Wright. Taking that into consideration, a .500 season last year was fairly impressive.

JM is not doing a bad job as manager. Not great, but acceptable, considering the injuries in 2001 and having a starting staff with an ineffective Todd Ritchie and inexperienced Jon Garland and Danny Wright.  Taking that into consideration, a .500 season last year was fairly impressive.

I don't think he's always been allowed to manage with KW looking over his shoulder, dictating player moves, yelling and screaming and upsetting buffet tables.

JM is not doing a bad job as manager.   Not great, but acceptable, considering the injuries in 2001 and having a starting staff with an ineffective Todd Ritchie and inexperienced Jon Garland and Danny Wright.  Taking that into consideration, a .500 season last year was fairly impressive.

I don't think he's always been allowed to manage with KW looking over his shoulder, dictating player moves, yelling and screaming and upsetting buffet tables.

They way they played May through July of last year, if I was in KW's shoes I'd be throwing some s*** fits too.

SI1020:  What was KW all mad about & upsetting tables?  I haven't heard anything about this.  I still don't like his attitude in general.

This is old news from 2002 actually. After a White Sox loss, it was reported by the media that KW stormed into the White Sox locker room and overturned a buffet table full of food and called the players, collectively, a bunch of "b****es."