IU 2004-2005 Schedule

I can't wait for the lovely comments.....

http://iuhoosiers.com/mensbasketball/news/...-05schedule.pdf

HOOSIERS ANNOUNCE 04-05 HOOPS SCHEDULE

Bloomington, Ind. – Last season, Indiana was the only basketball program in the nation to face six consecutive 2003 NCAA Tournament teams in its non-league schedule. The Hoosiers face a similar task in 2004-05, as a mid-December string of contests against North Carolina (Big Ten-ACC Challenge), at defending national champion Connecticut, and games against Notre Dame, Kentucky, at Missouri and against Charlotte highlight IU’s non-league schedule this winter. The Big Ten Conference announced the league games today, and Indiana has one more slot to fill on its non-league schedule.

Although Indiana annually ranks among the NCAA leaders in non-conference strength of schedule, IU coach Mike Davis sees no reason for his program to rest on its laurels.

“We have a lot of talent on this team, but we are also very young,” Davis said. “We have all learned a lot from last season, which has made us hungry to get back at it this year. Our summer workout program has been as intense and competitive since I have been here. All of this is only going to help us.”

Indiana opens up exhibition play Nov. 4 against NCAA Division II Bellarmine at Branch McCracken Court at Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers close out the exhibition season on Nov. 12 against NCAA Division II Southern Illinois-Edwardsville. The Cougars are coached by former Indiana swingman Marty Simmons. Simmons, who lettered for the Hoosiers in 1984 and 1985, led SIUEdwardsville to a 16-12 overall record and 11-9 Great Lakes Valley Conference finish in his second season at the helm in 2003-04.

Indiana entertains North Carolina in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge, Dec. 1 on ESPN. Indiana and North Carolina have combined to win eight national championships, as the Hoosiers’ five titles ranks third all-time, ahead of the Tar Heels and Duke (tied for fourth with three titles each). IU holds a 7-4 advantage in the all-time series between the two programs, including four victories in the last five meetings. This is the second time that Indiana and North Carolina have met in The Big Ten-ACC Challenge. On Nov. 28, 2001, A.J. Moye scored 20 points to lead Indiana to a 79-66 victory at North Carolina.

Overall, Indiana is 2-1 in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge, while North Carolina is 1-4. Indiana made its Challenge debut at North Carolina and followed that with an 80-74 overtime victory over defending national champion Maryland in the 2002 event at Conseco Fieldhouse. Last season, Wake Forest handed the Hoosiers a 100-67 setback. North Carolina lost its first four Challenge appearances before defeating Illinois, 88-81 last year in Greensboro. This marks the fourth straight year that Indiana’s Challenge opponent finished the previous season ranked among the nation’s top 25 teams.

“We have a lot of respect for Coach (Roy) Williams and the whole North Carolina program,” Davis said. “Raymond Felton, Sean May and Rashad McCants are, without a doubt, three of the best players in the country. And then, you have (Jawad) Williams, Melvin Scott, and Jackie Manuel, along with the guys that they signed. They are going to be really good.”

Indiana continues the nation’s toughest non-league ledger on Dec. 4, when it travels to defending national champion Connecticut. The Huskies may have lost two of the top three players selected in the 2004 NBA Draft (Emeka Okafor and Ben Gordon), but they return two of the nation’s more versatile frontcourt players in Josh Boone and Charlie Villanueva.

Although the all-time series between Connecticut and Indiana is tied at two games apiece, Indiana and Coach Davis are looking for its third straight victory over a non-league defending national champion. The Hoosiers upended defending 2002 national champion Maryland, 80-74 on Dec. 3, 2002 in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Duke won the 2001 crown before being eliminated by IU, 74-73 in the 2002 NCAA Tournament. Nonetheless, Davis knows that three in a row will not be easy.

“Coach Calhoun’s record speaks for itself,” Davis said. “I have always admired his programs, and Boone and Villanueva are two of the better young players in the country.”

Indiana puts its seven-game series winning streak against Notre Dame on the line when the Fighting Irish visit Branch McCracken Court at Assembly Hall on Dec. 8. Senior guard Chris Thomas and junior forward Torin Francis spearhead the Notre Dame attack, which also welcomes Arizona transfer power forward Dennis Lattimore.

Indiana and Kentucky will meet for the 48th time on Dec. 11 at Freedom Hall in Louisville. The Wildcats return a veteran nucleus of Kelenna Azubuike, Patrick Sparks and Chuck Hayes and supplement it with one of the nation’s top recruiting classes.

“Tubby Smith is one of the best coaches in the business,” Davis said. “Year in and year out, his teams are always in the hunt. And when you look at the guys they have coming in, they’re going to be even better.”

After a week of final exams, Indiana visits Missouri on Dec. 19 before returning home to entertain Charlotte on Dec. 22. IU collides with Ball State at Conseco Fieldhouse on Dec. 28. Conseco Fieldhouse has served as the Hoosiers’ home away from home, as IU has compiled a 9-3 record on the Indiana Pacers’ homecourt. Indiana closes out the non-league schedule with home games against Oral Roberts (Dec. 31) and Furman (Jan. 2)

Big Ten play gets underway Jan. 5 when Indiana travels to Northwestern. This marks the second time in four years that the Hoosiers open league action in Evanston. Of course, the last time was 2001-02, when IU captured a share of its 20th Big Ten regular season crown en route to its eighth NCAA Final Four.

Following the Northwestern game, Indiana plays three of its next four games at Branch McCracken Court at Assembly Hall. Wisconsin visits Bloomington on Jan. 8, and IU has a week off before visiting Purdue on Jan. 15 at 12 p.m., in a game slated to be televised by ESPN.

This is one of the Hoosiers’ 12 regular season national television appearances. Coach Davis’ club then returns home to face Michigan (Jan. 19) and Ohio State (Jan. 22).

For the fifth time in school history, Indiana will play on Super Bowl Sunday. The Hoosiers look for their third straight Super Bowl Sunday victory when they travel to Illinois on Feb. 6 at 12 p.m. on CBS. Ironically, Indiana’s four previous Super Bowl Sunday games were also on the road. IU downed Penn State in 1999 and 1997 but suffered losses at Illinois in 1994 and at Minnesota in 1990.

Overall, Indiana faces Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, Purdue and Wisconsin. The Hoosiers host Penn State and Michigan State, but they do not visit the Nittany Lions or Spartans. Likewise, IU heads to Illinois and Iowa, but they do entertain the Illini or Hawkeyes.  The 2005 Big Ten Tournament will take place March 10-13, 2005 at the United Center in Chicago.

04-05 INDIANA HOOSIERS BASKETBALL

Nov. 4 Bellarmine - 1 TBA

Nov. 12 Southern Illinois-Edwardsville -1 TBA

Nov. 23 Indiana State 6 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

Nov. 27 Western Illinois TBA ESPN Plus Local

Dec. 1 North Carolina -2 9 p.m. ESPN

Dec. 4 at Connecticut 12 p.m. CBS

Dec. 8 Notre Dame 7 p.m. ESPN

Dec. 11 Kentucky- 3 2 p.m. CBS

Dec. 19 at Missouri TBD ESPN Plus Local

Dec. 22 Charlotte 8 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

Dec. 28 Ball State - 4 8 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

Dec. 31 Oral Roberts TBA ESPN Plus Local

Jan. 2 Furman 1 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

Jan. 5 at Northwestern 7 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

Jan. 8 Wisconsin 8 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

Jan. 15 at Purdue 12 p.m. ESPN

Jan. 19 Michigan 8 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

Jan. 22 Ohio State 8 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

Jan. 26 at Minnesota 9 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

Jan. 29 at Iowa 4 p.m. ESPN

Feb. 2 Penn State 6 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

Feb. 6 at Illinois 1 p.m. CBS

Feb. 12 Minnesota 3:01 p.m. ESPN Plus Regional

Feb. 15 at Ohio State 7 p.m. ESPN

Feb. 20 at Michigan 3:30 p.m. CBS

Feb. 22 Purdue 7 p.m. ESPN

Feb. 27 Michigan State 12 p.m. CBS

March 1 at Wisconsin 9 p.m. ESPN

or March 2 8 p.m. ESPN Plus Local

March 5 Northwestern 12:17 p.m.ESPN Plus Regional

March 10-

March 13 Big Ten Tournament United Center, Chicago, Ill.

All Times Are EST And Subject To Change

As of Aug. 25, 2004, Indiana still has one more non-league slot to fill.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are some nice things Davis said about UNC. But UNC fans are still eager to play IU again because of his comments a few years ago to a UNC fan during the game. Fans were getting on Davis and he replied something like "call me when you get a real team". I thought it was hilarious but other people were pissed. I think that was 2001 or maybe 2002 so it was the truth, and we finally have a real team now so it should be a fun game.

Those are some nice things Davis said about UNC. But UNC fans are still eager to play IU again because of his comments a few years ago to a UNC fan during the game. Fans were getting on Davis and he replied something like "call me when you get a real team". I thought it was hilarious but other people were pissed. I think that was 2001 or maybe 2002 so it was the truth, and we finally have a real team now so it should be a fun game.

Yeah, Davis has said some pretty crazy "in the moment" quotes. He's calmed down with those in the past couple years, and understandibly so. You can't talk much with a 14-15 record.

I'm really hoping to get tickets to especially that game down here. That's on my birthday, that'd be a great birthday present. Tickets should be going on sale for the season pretty soon. :headbang

Heh, That schedule looks ridiculously tough but I think we can get some wins between those really good teams. We will give the number one team in UNC a run for their money at our place. Bracey is going to put on a show this season and I also think Pat Ewing Jr. Is going to have a stellar year.

Sat 10/30/2004 Orange & Blue Scrimmage (Exh.) Assembly Hall TBA

Fri 11/05/2004 Southern Illinois-Edwardsville (Exh.) Assembly Hall TBA

Sun 11/14/2004 Lewis (Exh.) Assembly Hall TBA

Fri 11/19/2004 Delaware State Assembly Hall TBA

Sun 11/21/2004 Florida A&M Assembly Hall TBA

Wed 11/24/2004 Oakland Assembly Hall ESPN+ Local 7:00 PM

Sat 11/27/2004 Gonzaga Indianapolis, Ind. TBA

Wed 12/01/2004 Wake Forest Assembly Hall ESPN 6:00 PM

Sat 12/04/2004 Arkansas Little Rock, Ark. ESPN TBA

Mon 12/06/2004 Chicago State Assembly Hall ESPN+ Local 7:00 PM

Thu 12/09/2004 Georgetown Washington D.C. TBA

Sat 12/11/2004 Oregon United Center, Chicago ESPN 1:00 PM

Sun 12/19/2004 TBA - Las Vegas Holiday Classic Assembly Hall TBA

Wed 12/22/2004 Missouri St. Louis, Mo. 7:00 PM

Mon 12/27/2004 TBA - Las Vegas Holiday Classic Assembly Hall TBA

Thu 12/30/2004 TBA - Las Vegas Holiday Classic Las Vegas TBA

Fri 12/31/2004 TBA - Las Vegas Holiday Classic Las Vegas TBA

Wed 01/05/2005 Ohio State Assembly Hall ESPN+ Local 8:00 PM

Sat 01/08/2005 Purdue West Lafayette, Ind. CBS 3:00 PM

Wed 01/12/2005 Penn State Assembly Hall ESPN+ Local 8:00 PM

Sat 01/15/2005 Northwestern Evanston, Ill. ESPN+ Regional 3:30 PM

Thu 01/20/2005 Iowa Assembly Hall ESPN 6:00 PM

Tue 01/25/2005 Wisconsin Madison, Wis. ESPN 6:00 PM

Sat 01/29/2005 Minnesota Assembly Hall ESPN+ Regional 1:30 PM

Tue 02/01/2005 Michigan State East Lansing, Mich. ESPN 6:00 PM

Sun 02/06/2005 Indiana Assembly Hall CBS 12:00 PM

Tue 02/08/2005 Michigan Ann Arbor, Mich. ESPN 6:00 PM

Sat 02/12/2005 Wisconsin Assembly Hall CBS 12:00 PM

Wed 02/16/2005 Penn State University Park, Pa. ESPN+ Local 7:00 PM

Sat 02/19/2005 Iowa Iowa City, Iowa ESPN+ Regional 11:15 AM

Wed 02/23/2005 Northwestern Assembly Hall ESPN+ Local 7:00 PM

Tue 03/01/2005 Purdue Assembly Hall TBA

Wed 03/02/2005 Purdue Assembly Hall TBA

Sat 03/05/2005 Ohio State Columbus, Ohio TBA

Sun 03/06/2005 Ohio State Columbus, Ohio TBA

Thu 03/10/2005 Big Ten Tournament First Round United Center, Chicago TBA

Fri 03/11/2005 Big Ten Tournament Quarterfinals United Center, Chicago TBA

Sat 03/12/2005 Big Ten Tournament Semifinals United Center, Chicago TBA

Sun 03/13/2005 Big Ten Tournament Championship United Center, Chicago TBA

Yeah, greasy, i saw the schedule, and that nonconference schedule is BRUTAL. If you go 2-4 in that tough stretch starting with UNC, you should be 'pleased.' Wow.

Agreed, a little bit. I feel us going 3-3 or maybe 4-2 on that stretch; I really see us being under the radar after last season. I feel these new guys that are coming in, improving this team by a million times. The defense won't be able to just worry about Bracey anymore.

I've been drinking a lot of red kool-aid down here though. :lol: We'll see; I'm psyched for the season to start.

Same here, and within a few years I hope the football team can turn it around.

That's one thing I don't get about IU. Notre Dame and Purdue pick from the same talent pool in state for a lot of the football players, yet IU can't put a decent team out there. At least ND and Purdue can put decent b-ball teams out there too. I don't know though, IU really puts solid teams out for every other sport.

where in Bloomington are you guys staying?  Are you still freshman in dorms?

I just started school on Monday; I moved in last Tuesday. I'm in Briscoe, which is on the north side of the campus; Memorial Stadium and Assembly Hall are basically my back yard. I can see the baseball diamond, Sembower Field, out my window.

That's one thing I don't get about IU.  Notre Dame and Purdue pick from the same talent pool in state for a lot of the football players, yet IU can't put a decent team out there.  At least ND and Purdue can put decent b-ball teams out there too.  I don't know though, IU really puts solid teams out for every other sport.

Your facilities have been terrible, and your athletic department has been a joke the last few years....

That's one thing I don't get about IU.  Notre Dame and Purdue pick from the same talent pool in state for a lot of the football players, yet IU can't put a decent team out there.  At least ND and Purdue can put decent b-ball teams out there too.  I don't know though, IU really puts solid teams out for every other sport.

A lot of it is bringing in a good coaching staff and nailing that one star recruit. Purdue was absolutely horrible for a LONG time and then they brought in Joe Tiller and got Drew Brees. Tiller realized that it was tough to recruit against ND in Indiana and focused quite a bit on Texas and other places Purdue wouldn't normally recruit. A high percentage of Purdue's best players in the last 5-6 years are from TX. The increase in wins led to an increase in interest, which led to better facilities and recruiting.

Right now IU has to find some way to get around Purdue's good program and ND's legacy if they are going to recruit in-state.

A lot of it is bringing in a good coaching staff and nailing that one star recruit.  Purdue was absolutely horrible for a LONG time and then they brought in Joe Tiller and got Drew Brees.  Tiller realized that it was tough to recruit against ND in Indiana and focused quite a bit on Texas and other places Purdue wouldn't normally recruit.  A high percentage of Purdue's best players in the last 5-6 years are from TX.  The increase in wins led to an increase in interest, which led to better facilities and recruiting.

Right now IU has to find some way to get around Purdue's good program and ND's legacy if they are going to recruit in-state.

True...It's a hard selling point, but a big thing IU has to work with when pitching to players is that they could be the players/class that can turn it around in Bloomington. That would take a lot of work, but I think that'd be a cool thing to do. Getting a big name coach would really be where to start.

True...It's a hard selling point, but a big thing IU has to work with when pitching to players is that they could be the players/class that can turn it around in Bloomington.  That would take a lot of work, but I think that'd be a cool thing to do.  Getting a big name coach would really be where to start.

Well I believe Indiana has been losing alot of their propects, so this pitch is not working very well i guess.

Here is your problem, the black Quin Snyder as a coach.

Well I believe Indiana has been losing alot of their propects, so this pitch is not working very well i guess.

Here is your problem, the black Quin Snyder as a coach.

Purdue129 was right; I was talking about basketball.

I'm really indifferent to Mike Davis at the moment. Now that I'll be closer to the games etc. I feel like I'll have more of an opinion on the guy and what he does. I'm positive I'll be able to say if I like him or hate him.

I think a lot of IU fans don't like Davis just for one reason, he's not Bobby Knight. Well duh. It was time for a change; Mike Davis might be the guy and he might not.