Little B-Mac Piece

DBAHO

Brandon McCarthy, SP, Kannapolis/Winston-Salem (Chicago White Sox): He came within one win of matching the minor-league lead, but McCarthy's 202 strikeouts at three levels led all minor leaguers. He's not overpowering, but his command numbers are extraordinary. This is a right-hander who has now allowed just 28 home runs and 60 walks compared to 406 strikeouts in 351 1/3 innings as a pro. McCarthy is the type of pitcher many Fantasy owners overlook, as he's not a flashy prospect, but he's one you should definitely keep an eye on. 2004 Stats: 14-5, 3.08 ERA, 0.925 WHIP, 173 strikeouts, 23 starts (3-1, 3.46, 1.115, 29, 4 for Double-A Birmingham).

From what I read his velocity is above average, but not overpowering.

He'll have to do what all good pitchers do -- change speeds, pound the corners of the strike zone, throw three pitches for strikes, outthink guys.

I hope the Sox don't rush the kid.

Hate to see him in the big leagues before June or July of 2006 at the earliest.

Geesh 1.5 BB/9 and almost a 7:1 K/BB ratio.

That is obscene.

Stupid question here, is he going to have to learn to throw more balls as he gets closer to Chicago, or is stuff good enough that he still will be pretty unhittable?

He sounds like a better control, smarter Felix Diaz. I don't mean to compare stuff, but just that BMac throws a ton of strikes. He did give up quite a few HRs at Kanny this year. I'm guessing it won't take him too long to adjust through the levels because he is a very smart pitcher from all accounts.