Rogers article about Frank

jackie hayes

I'm surprised I don't see anything about the new Phil Rogers article on Frank. (If it's there, sorry, but the search wasn't working for me.) Here's the link. Any thoughts?

A taste:

Thomas produced 84 runs in 74 games. Those hardly sound like the numbers of an afterthought.

But reading between the lines, it seems that is what Thomas has become in a balanced lineup that has at least seven players capable of hitting 20-plus home runs.

More often than not, a designated hitter is more the hood ornament on a winning team than one of the pistons. No, the Boston Red Sox couldn't have won without David Ortiz last season, but we'll consider that the exception that proves the rule.

With Edgar Martinez retiring, fewer teams than ever are willing to pay heavily for a full-time DH. Detroit's Dmitri Young and Ortiz are the only designated hitters other than Thomas who will be paid more than $5 million this season. If Jason Giambi joins this list, that's by accident, not design.

Only six of the 20 teams that made it to the AL Championship Series in the last decade used a DH for at least 100 games. Baltimore used 17 different DHs in 1996 when it won 92 games. Baltimore won 98 games in 1997 with Geronimo Berroa as the primary DH, filling the role for only 42 games.

Also Ozzie saying that Frank has to be 90-100% to play. So apparently Everett is only about 5% worse than a perfectly healthy Frank.

This underrates Frank, and by a LOT. The reason other teams did not use 1 dh as much is because there are precious few hitters as good as Frank, not by choice.

This emphasis on hr (see the article) is silly -- noone is criticizing the Sox for losing hr, per se. First Carlos is made out to be just another slugger, now Frank?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All baseball writers are experts in what needs to be done and how to do it. Just ask them and I am sure they will impress you with their expertise on the game. I think they just write about things like this issue with Frank just to stir things up. About a third of the way through the season and his analysis will change.

Frank has always been used by writers to stir the pot. I will say this, this has been a trying offseason for me as a Sox fan. They got rid of two of my four favorite players. I know Buehrle will be around for awhile, but if things end badly with Frank, I may not forgive the organization. We don't need another Fisk situation. I know that Frank will try to stay in town as long as management doesn't slap him in the face. I swear that Kenny Williams better not try to run him out of town.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 05:06 PM)
Frank has always been used by writers to stir the pot. I will say this, this has been a trying offseason for me as a Sox fan. They got rid of two of my four favorite players. I know Buehrle will be around for awhile, but if things end badly with Frank,  I may not forgive the organization. We don't need another Fisk situation. I know that Frank will try to stay in town as long as management doesn't slap him in the face. I swear that Kenny Williams better not try to run him out of town.

Punch you are right on here. I'm still not completely over the whole Fusk thing, he is and always will be my favorite player of all time. Ventura and Baines are also 2 of my favorites and I had to watch Robin leave under bad circumstances and see Harold traded twice. Maggs and Carlos weren't up there on my favorites list so I'm not as heartbroken to see them go, but if things end badly with Frank, that willl be unfortunate because he is The White Sox.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 11:06 PM)
Frank has always been used by writers to stir the pot. I will say this, this has been a trying offseason for me as a Sox fan. They got rid of two of my four favorite players. I know Buehrle will be around for awhile, but if things end badly with Frank,  I may not forgive the organization. We don't need another Fisk situation. I know that Frank will try to stay in town as long as management doesn't slap him in the face. I swear that Kenny Williams better not try to run him out of town.

Kenny has wanted to get rid of Frank for several years now. Why do you think things will change now?

I never understand this.. Players are very rarely "loyal" to teams yet teams have to be loyal to the players? That makes no sense..

WE are a cash strapped team right? So if we pay Frank 10 mil in 06 to be on IR, instad of going after a hole in our team that makes no sense.

For the record I am a huge Frank Fan, but no one player is bigger than the team, this is something most fans don't get. Besides we have Pauly to be a DH, and with the money saved we can go out and grab a 1b.. If Frank is willing to take a pay cut then I am all for him being here, but since he has not put up the money worth his play 10 mil .. SEE YA.

he was instrumental in the 03 division race. He had so many big hits. Frank has been loyal to the team. He's never demanded tobe traded and his contract has been below market value most of the time. The team should reward his loyalty by keeping him. Let's not act likes he's a liability at the plate. A .430 obp last year says otherwise.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
If Frank is willing to take a pay cut then I am all for him being here, but since he has not put up the money worth his play 10 mil .. SEE YA.

Frank has been paid well below what he is worth in my opinion anyway. When guys that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Frank are making in excess of 10 million per year and he makes 6, that is what is pathetic. What kind of pay cut do propose Anthrax? 1 year 1 million? That's all Cabrera should have gotten.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
he was instrumental in the 03 division race. He had so many big hits. Frank has been loyal to the team. He's never demanded tobe traded and his contract has been below market value most of the time. The team should reward his loyalty by keeping him. Let's not act likes he's a liability at the plate. A .430 obp last year says otherwise.

Remember The Angels game where Washburn was no hitting The Sox until Frank hit the 2 run HR to tie and then another 2 run HR to win it?

It was awesome.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 09:57 PM)
I actually got lucky with another Angel game this year where Timo had the big hit of K-Rod and Kong ended it with a a ball to the track.

I remember that one.

That was a great game. The most memorable one for me.

Edited by Chisoxmatt

Frank has been paid well below what he is worth in my opinion anyway. When guys that shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Frank are making in excess of 10 million per year and he makes 6, that is what is pathetic. What kind of pay cut do propose Anthrax? 1 year 1 million?  That's all Cabrera should have gotten.

Below his worth?? WTF, 6 million when all he has to do his come up to hit 3-4times a game, compared to Caberea who playes the feild.. ooo one other question for you..

How Many WS rings does Thomas have compared to Caberea?

Thomas should get a 2 year 2mil deal with incentives..nothing more.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
I never understand this.. Players are very rarely "loyal" to teams yet teams have to be loyal to the players? That makes no sense..

WE are a cash strapped team right? So if we pay Frank 10 mil in 06 to be on IR, instad of going after a hole in our team that makes no sense. 

For the record I am a huge Frank Fan, but no one player is bigger than the team, this is something most fans don't get.  Besides we have Pauly to be a DH, and with the money saved we can go out and grab a 1b.. If Frank is willing to take a pay cut then I am all for him being here, but since he has not put up the money worth his play 10 mil .. SEE YA.

The whole issue is health, though. If he recovers, he's worth well more than any player you can get at $6.5 mil ($10 mil in salary freed - $3.5 mil buyout.) I don't see any reason to think he'll be injured all year. This isn't Ken Griffey we're talking about.

Btw, there's no crying, and no IR in baseball...

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
Below his worth?? WTF, 6 million when all he has to do his come up to hit 3-4times a game, compared to Caberea who playes the feild.. ooo one other question for you..

How Many WS rings does Thomas have compared to Caberea?

Thomas should get a 2 year 2mil deal with incentives..nothing more.

Oh please, Cabrera got traded midseason to The Red Sox. Good for him. How many MVP's has Cabrera won, how about batting titles?

Frank has carried this team for years and has up to this point been unreplaceable in The Sox line-up.

Can you say the same for Cabrera. 2 million plus incentives, are you sure your not a Cubs fan?

Oh please, Cabrera got traded midseason to The Red Sox. Good for him. How many MVP's has Cabrera won, how about batting titles?

Frank has carried this team for years and has up to this point been unreplaceable in The Sox line-up.

Can you say the same for Cabrera. 2 million plus incentives, are you sure your not a Cubs fan?

MVP's and batting titles, How does that Help the team? It doesn't . Why is everytime I have an actually reality of a player you guys have to bring up Caberea? IS that your only arguement?

When was the last time Thomas did anything for this team? Granted he is a great player just not worth what he is getting paid. If we as a TEAM are only having 70 mil payroll, sorry I don't want to have 1/7 of it on the DL for 1/2 a year.. Which is what Frank has done the past 4 years.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
MVP's and batting titles, How does that Help the team? It doesn't .  Why is everytime I have an actually reality of a player you guys have to bring up Caberea? IS that your only arguement?

When was the last time Thomas did anything for this team?  Granted he is a great player just not worth what he is getting paid.  If we as a TEAM  are only having 70 mil payroll, sorry I don't want to have 1/7 of it on the DL for 1/2 a year.. Which is what Frank has done the past 4 years.

Probably because all the posts that everyone has had to endure regarding Cabrera.

I'm sorry but I only recall Frank being on the DL in 2001 and 2004, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And if you can honestly sit there and tell me that Frank is overpaid and needs to take a pay cut to stay with The Sox with some of the other salaries out there, then you have been listening to your I'm The Man CD way too damn loud.

Probably because all the posts that everyone has had to endure regarding Cabrera.

I'm sorry but I only recall Frank being on the DL in 2001 and 2004, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And if you can honestly sit there and tell me that Frank is overpaid and needs to take a pay cut to stay with The Sox with some of the other salaries out there, then you have been listening to your I'm The Man CD way too damn loud.

Enough with the Cabrera talk, we all know we lost out on a great SS, its okay KW managed to cover his tracks

Your right Frank was not on the DL, but he didn't put up any decent numbers since 00, to be payed the type of money.

When you sit there and say Thomas should get paid 10mil for 06 for .260/35/80 ish .. Who is the Cub Fan then? That is Sosa-like..And Sosa is vastly overpaid.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
Enough with the Cabrera talk, we all know we lost out on a great SS, its okay KW managed to cover his tracks

Your right Frank was not on the DL, but he didn't put up any decent numbers since 00, to be payed the type of money. 

When you sit there and say Thomas should get paid 10mil for 06 for .260/35/80 ish .. Who is the Cub Fan then? That is Sosa-like..And Sosa is vastly overpaid.

42 HR in 2003 :huh

I'd rather see Ozzie out there at SS than Cabrera.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 06:10 AM)
And we wonder why we can't get a winning team here,  Ozzie over Cabrera..  :lolhitting

42 HR's ...Hitting coors light.. Makes a overrated player like Uribe look like a stud.

Overstatement sux...

Frank hits for power, gets on base at a .400 clip (!), draws tons of walks, and you would rather have cheese whiz. (2 years, $2 mil -- that MUST be a joke.) Be realistic. Frank is still, today, a great hitter.