Recap: Garland Beat Again, Sox Lose 5-2

Chisoxfn

Recap: Garland Beat Again, Sox Lose 5-2

By Mario Scalise

April 9, 2003

SoxNet.net

Jon Garland was hit for five runs in six innings and the offense came up empty on several chances as the Sox fell to the Indians Wednesday night, 5-2.

Garland is now 0-1 on the season with a 9.00 ERA, giving up 10 runs in 10 innings pitched, and the Sox are back to .500 at 4-4. On the other side, Indians' starter Brian Anderson improved to 2-0 with a 1.29 ERA after his six-inning, two-run outing.

The Indians jumped on top to an early lead and never looked back, scoring two runs in the second with a Karim Garcia single. Milton Bradley and Omar Vizquel, who scored on the play, reached base with an infield single to second and soft single to right center.

The Sox had their chance in the first to start things off with a D'Angelo Jimenez leadoff walk, but Jimenez was picked off first by Anderson. Tony Graffanino then doubled, followed by a Frank Thomas strikeout and Magglio Ordonez fly out to end the inning.

Paul Konerko connected for his first homer and fourth hit of the season in the second to cut the defecit in half. But the Indians came right back with a run off a Milton Bradley sacrifice fly to right, scoring Casey Blake.

Up 3-1, the Indians added a fourth run in the fourth with a Brandon Phillips solo home run, and a fifth run in the seventh off of reliever Kelly Wunsch. Wunsch came in for Garland after Garland gave up a leadoff double. After getting Bradley to fly out, Phillips stole third and then scored on a Vizquel sacrifice fly.

The Sox added their second and last run in the fifth with Josh Paul -- starting at catcher -- hitting a single and scoring two outs later on a Thomas double. Anderson was pulled after six innings in favor of Jose Santiago. Santiago threw 1 1/3 scoreless innings and Danys Baez picked up his third save with 1 2/3 scoreless innings.

The Sox failed on two other scoring chances. Once in the third with two men in scoring position and one out, which resulted in an Ordonez fly out and Jimenez getting thrown out at the plate after tagging up.

Then, with men on first and second in the eighth, Konerko and Carlos Lee were put out to end the inning.

Rick White relieved Wunsch with two outs in the seventh, ending the inning and throwing a scoreless 1-2-3 eighth. Joe Crede committed his third error of the season with a errant throw to first base in the seventh off a grounder.

The series' finale will be on Thursday at 6:05 p.m. CT with Mark Buehrle -- moving up to Esteban Loaiza's spot -- starting against 22-year-old righty Jason Davis. Loaiza will now start the opening series against the Tigers, followed by Josh Stewart and Bartolo Colon going in games two and three.

He was out and I think JM should of done something. It was obviously a close play and if you look at the replay you see that he's out. I'm not telling JM to argue about every little thing like Larry Bowa, but that play makes a difference and considering how lifeless the team was looking, you got to do something. Plus, he had a very legit gripe.

Manuel needs to stay in Cleveland while the rest of the team heads to Detroit.

What was even stupider was leaving Carlos Lee up with a couple guys on. With him struggling you have to go to Daubach.

He was out and I think JM should of done something. It was obviously a close play and if you look at the replay you see that he's out. I'm not telling JM to argue about every little thing like Larry Bowa, but that play makes a difference and considering how lifeless the team was looking, you got to do something. Plus, he had a very legit gripe.

Don't get me wrong. I am not into the Tony LaRussa, Larry Bowa style of b****ing about everything trying to pick up an edge. But once in a while as a manager, you HAVE to lose your temper, just to show your troops that you care. That was a huge run, and Jerry didn't really seem to give it the importance that it was. He should have argued until he was ejected.

Between the call at the plate and the strike zone that ump was calling I'd have thrown every bat, ball, helmet, and wad of gum in the dugout out on to the field. I wouldn't have gotten thrown out because he'd be unconsious from me hitting him upside the head with that piece of rebar Frank uses to warm up with.