Wish me luck

aboz56

This is not a piece of criticism on your writing Alex, rather just an observation on the entire way games are reported nowadays.

Back in the day, you read a sports piece like a book, in chronological order. But now they practice "pyramid" type journalism. Read the headline, and you know the outcome of the game. Read the first paragraph, and you've gotten the most pivotal moment in the game. Want more details, you have to read further.

If you haven't actually seen the game, there's no real sense of the tension or the build up of the Game. Most good games are see-saw affairs that build to an ultimate cresendo. Yet when they are reported they go Crescendo, see, then saw, with some key statistics thrown in for good measure.

Anyway, that's just a pet peeve of mine. I know I'm not the only one who still wishes games were written about in the old fashoined way. You will be able to find some old fashoined game reports for the white sox 2005 season in the months to come. ;)

Good writing, just one small thing I noticed:

Angela Smith's three-pointer with 0.9 second remaining forced the extra period for the winners.

The winners just sounds really, really awkward. But if Bellarmine's name was actually called the winners, that'd be pretty sweet.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Feb 28, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
Good writing, just one small thing I noticed:

The winners just sounds really, really awkward. But if Bellarmine's name was actually called the winners, that'd be pretty sweet.

That's actually how the C-J likes it, so that's why I did it.